• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is belief in ghosts compatible with the Christian faith, or other religions?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Despite your high opinion of yourself, I'm really not looking for yours or anyone else's approval.
Thank you Captain Obvious.

I mean if you really gave even one rats fart about your own credibility, you would not have ignored every post that flat out shows that you are wrong.

However, seeing as you are well versed in the ancient art of selective hearing AND you are most gifted in the area of stubborn denial, I suspect that you are not going to stop trying to tell Christians what they are and are not to believe.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
This post basically makes no sense. People can believe incompatible beliefs. That does NOT make them compatible, it just means there is no logic behind their beliefs.
rotflmfao

You so successfully demonstrated your first sentence with the rest of your post.
:bow:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Let's not get personal, you're the one going off the deep end here.

Basically I'm not the only person that thinks Christian belief and belief in ghosts is incompatible. Others believe the opposite. I have a right to my opinion.

You do know that appeal to popularity is a logical FALLACY, right?

Draka

Wonder Woman

I mean if you really gave even one rats fart about your own credibility, you would not have ignored every post that flat out shows that you are wrong.

However, seeing as you are well versed in the ancient art of selective hearing AND you are most gifted in the area of stubborn denial, I suspect that you are not going to stop trying to tell Christians what they are and are not to believe.

Wait Mestemia, didn't you know there's a mystical figurehead of the whole Christian religion that instructs as to what Christians are allowed to believe in the bible? Not only that...it appears that logician alone is in contact with this uber figurehead. Which is why he has this miraculous art of being able to say what a Christian does and does not, and can and cannot believe. It's magic!

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Let's not get personal, you're the one going off the deep end here.

Basically I'm not the only person that thinks Christian belief and belief in ghosts is incompatible. Others believe the opposite. I have a right to my opinion.

I didn't know calling your lies lies was going off the deep end.

You did not say anything about it being "your opinion". You tried to make a statement of fact and tried to back it up and failed miserably. Now you are just trying to cover yourself and it's not working well.

logician

Wait wait wait. Now there's some figurehead of Christianity that arbitrarily determines what a Christian can and cannot believe in the bible?

Your posts are becoming more and more insane as this thread goes on.

Well, the pope does for Catholics, at least officially.

Again, anybody can believe anything they want.

logician

I don't give a rat's pettuti what Christians believe, I'm an atheist remember?

However, I can voice an opinion on what seems logical as to traditional Christian belief vs belief in ghosts.

Boy, people on here have thin skins.:sleep:

logician

I didn't know calling your lies lies was going off the deep end.

You did not say anything about it being "your opinion". You tried to make a statement of fact and tried to back it up and failed miserably. Now you are just trying to cover yourself and it's not working well.

All you are doing now is consistently making personal attacks, not making arguments.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, the pope does for Catholics, at least officially.

Again, anybody can believe anything they want.

And since Christianity is based on the bible then it would make perfect sense that since the bible acknowledges ghosts then not only is belief in ghosts a perfectly logical thing for Christians to believe in, it's a perfectly compatible belief with Christianity in general. Right?

Draka

Wonder Woman
All you are doing now is consistently making personal attacks, not making arguments.

Well, since you ignore every well thought out and factual argument perhaps the only way to get you to pay attention is to get a little personal. Maybe if you didn't ignore all the facts presented to you there wouldn't be any character flaws to point out now would there be?

logician

Well, since you ignore every well thought out and factual argument perhaps the only way to get you to pay attention is to get a little personal. Maybe if you didn't ignore all the facts presented to you there wouldn't be any character flaws to point out now would there be?

You have ignored most of my posts, and presented nothing logical in return, you have no room to talk.

You must have ignored the links I posted, since they were contrary to your opinion.:shrug:

logician

Wait Mestemia, didn't you know there's a mystical figurehead of the whole Christian religion that instructs as to what Christians are allowed to believe in the bible? Not only that...it appears that logician alone is in contact with this uber figurehead. Which is why he has this miraculous art of being able to say what a Christian does and does not, and can and cannot believe. It's magic!

Again, the illogical red herring. There is nobody "forcing" Christians to believe anything(at least not at the Vatican level), but there is a fundametal set of Christian beliefs, and they don't include haunted houses. If Christians want to believe in ghosts, fine, but it's not traditional Christian belief. Again, if you say they can believe non-traditonal stuff, then the door is wide open for anything, but that doesn't make it compatible with tradition.:sad:

Draka

Wonder Woman
You have ignored most of my posts, and presented nothing logical in return, you have no room to talk.

You must have ignored the links I posted, since they were contrary to your opinion.:shrug:

Goodness sakes. I looked, but as I even pointed out in response to them, Christianity is not based on The Pope nor a blogger's opinion. It's based on the bible.

Second off. I have pointed out numerous things and you ignore every one.

The witch of Endor, the ghosts of Samuel and others appearing before her and King Saul. The ghosts of Elias and Moses. The appearances of Jesus after his death and resurrection. That there is no mention of a oneway door to heaven or the afterlife that prohibits souls from returning. That there is no prescribed time limit between bodily death and entrance to the afterlife destination. There are some who hold a belief in purgatory which shows a belief that souls do no move on immediately. Even if you ignore the oneway doorway thing and the time it takes for the soul to migrate from the physical world to the afterlife realm, you still have the mentions of ghosts and spirits in the bible. You choose to ignore them because they prove you wrong.

Honestly logician, if you had any honor at all you'd admit you were wrong in your ascertation that belief in ghosts is incompatible with Christianity because you have been shown otherwise many times in this thread.

A

angellous_evangellous

"the Catholic Church still has exorcists"

Uh, exorcists exorcise supposed demons, not ghosts, I specifically said this thread was NOT about demons or angels. Show me where the Vatican believes that ghosts haunt houses.

"Who decides what "Christian belief" is? "

I'll give you that, evidently, according to you all, you can believe in the tooth fairy, celestial teapots, unicorns, or anything and still be a Christian.

This thread isn't about "tooth fairy, celestial teapots, unicorns, or anything" along those lines.

Please, try to focus.

A

angellous_evangellous

Honestly logician, if you had any honor at all you'd admit you were wrong in your ascertation that belief in ghosts is incompatible with Christianity because you have been shown otherwise many times in this thread.

It's a matter of intellectual honesty.

He demands "logic" but despises it.

logician

Goodness sakes. I looked, but as I even pointed out in response to them, Christianity is not based on The Pope nor a blogger's opinion. It's based on the bible.

Second off. I have pointed out numerous things and you ignore every one.

The witch of Endor, the ghosts of Samuel and others appearing before her and King Saul. The ghosts of Elias and Moses. The appearances of Jesus after his death and resurrection. That there is no mention of a oneway door to heaven or the afterlife that prohibits souls from returning. That there is no prescribed time limit between bodily death and entrance to the afterlife destination. There are some who hold a belief in purgatory which shows a belief that souls do no move on immediately. Even if you ignore the oneway doorway thing and the time it takes for the soul to migrate from the physical world to the afterlife realm, you still have the mentions of ghosts and spirits in the bible. You choose to ignore them because they prove you wrong.

You are simply wrong, because they are NOT mainstream beliefs (aside from the fact that none of them really happened). You take a couple of mentions of ghosts in the bible and extrpolate that to make it seem "compatible" that everyone should believe in haunted houses and there's no problem. That's being dishonest.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This post basically makes no sense. People can believe incompatible beliefs. That does NOT make them compatible, it just means there is no logic behind their beliefs.
If they truly are incompatible, why can they coexist peacefully? There is not anything in the Bible that says that ghosts can not exists. Actually, the Bible suggest the exact opposite. All of the evidence shows that the two beliefs are compatible.

Your entire argument is based on what you state that Christians have to believe. However, your argument is based on a flaw. Christianity is extremely diverse. There are few fundamental beliefs. None of them are based on the idea of ghosts.

The fact that Christians can and do believe in ghosts, and that it does not cause any fundamental problems, or any problems what so ever, clearly shows, by the definition of the word incompatible, that the two beliefs are not of such. Showing beyond any reasonable doubt that you are incorrect.

Also, since when was religion logical? Religion is based on faith which by definition is not logical.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You are simply wrong, because they are NOT mainstream beliefs (aside from the fact that none of them really happened). You take a couple of mentions of ghosts in the bible and extrpolate that to make it seem "compatible" that everyone should believe in haunted houses and there's no problem. That's being dishonest.
Doesn't matter if they never really happened. That is a moot point in this case, as Christian believe they happened.

You can continue dismissing all of the evidence against your position, but it really means nothing.