• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's gross.

Lots of people are gross. What does that have to do with feminism? Republican men, for example, are pretty unattractive. Fat, old, pasty, balding, poorly dressed, and just generally gross in every way. I would absolutely never bang anybody who looked like Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck. Nobody in their right mind would. So should we do away with conservatism?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think we need to end feminism and keep the pro women organisations.

If you think the name isnt hurting the cause, out feminism on youtube and notice most of the videos that come up first.

Its hurting it.

dust1n

Zindīq
Ok

Man I hate that we need at leazt 5 charecters so post stuff. I can never just say "ok".

Yes... we might need to address this 5 character limit. I find it entirely impossible to misrepresent facts in 5 characters or less.

Thanks for pointing that out Dustin. I knew it couldn't be the ten commandments (this is the French we're talking about) but l forgot what it was.

No problem! I was just surprised no one called it out.

Pagan_Patriot

Lots of people are gross. What does that have to do with feminism? Republican men, for example, are pretty unattractive. Fat, old, pasty, balding, poorly dressed, and just generally gross in every way. I would absolutely never bang anybody who looked like Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck. Nobody in their right mind would. So should we do away with conservatism?

What about that one gay republican guy? He was in the magazine with his shirt off and he had a 6 pack.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's hard to when your thinking about supermodel's. I do think feminism is a good thing for now. I wish it did not have to exist though.

Your frame of reference is off. You wish patriarchy did not exist. Feminism is not the problem, it's the solution.

dust1n

Zindīq

If you think the name isnt hurting the cause, out feminism on youtube and notice most of the videos that come up first.

Its hurting it.

Nah... I think we need yet another wave of feminism, one that is entirely unconcerned with YouTube videos.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I get that. I've brought up politicizing science before, too. However, I think it's silly to say people know all they need to know about engineering just because they hung out with a few engineers. And then if engineers say that there's certain things that ought to be improved for engineers in society, and that first person says that engineers already have everything they need because they've seen them and know a few, it's more than presumptuous.

Now couple that with if engineers who say to that first person that there's FAR more to engineering than at first glance, invite them to take a few classes, read up on it, learn more, and that first person says they really don't want to, but then continue to judge the merits of engineering, I'd find that to be willful ignorance. And the political type of willful ignorance is where the real harm occurs. Cultural willful ignorance is just annoying. But where the government steps in is where the real pain happens with institutional prejudice mandated into law.
One needn't understand engineering to understand the social, legal & economic situations of engineers.
(Your other analogy was so much better!) I know you have the best of intentions in urging us to read works
of leading feminists in order to understand feminism, but I just see no need. No matter what they say
about feminism, it will be that which the millions of feminists say & do in all their vast diversity.
I understand that you find much merit in their works, just as I read material which would bore the
leotards off you. (There's an image!)
We sure clash a lot for 2 people who fundamentally agree about liberty & law, eh? I'll continue to think
of you as a peoplist who identifies as a feminist.....my favorite type!

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

Its hurting it.

Says a guy who didn't watch a single one of the feminist YouTube videos Curious George posted in this thread.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Nah... I think we need yet another wave of feminism, one that is entirely unconcerned with YouTube videos.

Wow, that would be incredibly uneffective.

Why on Earth would you waste one of the most prominent sources of propaganda when you want to enlist people to your cause? o_O

Name needs to be changed. Feminism shouldnt be a worldview or a view of society. Egualitarianism and humanism should be.

Having movements that do not subscribe to such a polarising and ever less popular ( with good reason) term can only do good.

Ignoring the brand name is just plain stupid.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Says a guy who didn't watch a single one of the feminist YouTube videos Curious George posted in this thread.

By all means tell me what would I gain.

The subjects were women in trouble. i am saying: organizations pro women rights= very good.

"Feminism" getting unpopular due to stupid brand name and problematic.

Are any of those videos about how the name feminism is any help or are they about we needing institutions and action pro women rights? Because I am all for those.