• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is feminism still needed in the U.S.

Me Myself

Back to my username
My understanding about prostitution by before homeless women is that they are lied to about the particulars of the job (they are said they can say "no" if ey dont like the customer for example ) and then after they realise they dont like their new job they are cohereced into mantaining the lifestyle, cohersing that can and often includes extreme physical and psychological abuse and extortion.

The problem wi the choice to be prostitute is that it is often an unimformed one and that then on the pimps "own" them and they are not allowed to take it back.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
My understanding about prostitution by before homeless women is that they are lied to about the particulars of the job (they are said they can say "no" if ey dont like the customer for example ) and then after they realise they dont like their new job they are cohereced into mantaining the lifestyle, cohersing that can and often includes extreme physical and psychological abuse and extortion.

The problem wi the choice to be prostitute is that it is often an unimformed one and that then on the pimps "own" them and they are not allowed to take it back.
At the risk of sounding insensitive... You play with fire, you get burnt.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

Remember, we're talking about homeless Women here. Do you really think homeless Women aren't going into prostitution because of Economic desperation? Also, think about how they may have gotten there in the first place: drugs, no family/support network, abuse, mental illness etc. Do you really think Women just wake up one day and go "Hmmm, I'm a strong independent Woman, I want to pursue a lifestyle of homeless prostitution"? :shrug:

Some women do choose to become prostitutes because it's genuinely what they want to do, but that's a very small minority. I'm not saying homeless women aren't doing it out of economic desperation; I'm saying it isn't their only choice. Anyone that isn't kidnapped by a pimp is making the conscious decision to become a prostitute. Anything that happens after that is their problem.

Right, more "American Dream" mentality nonsense: Only lazy people are homeless. :rolleyes:
It's only nonsense if you have no ambition. My mother did it, and I know plenty of others who worked their way up from the bottom. The problem with people is that they always want to be a victim, and by the time they realize nobody's gonna save them, they're too far gone.

Alceste

Vagabond
At the risk of sounding insensitive... You play with fire, you get burnt.

:facepalm: Yeah. You offer somebody a BJ in exchange for enough money to eat and find a bed indoors, you get your throat slit. I'm sure they're all completely aware from day one that's the name of the prostitution game. Nobody ever lies about it. Pimps never charm and sweet talk women into working for them. Johns always offer full disclosure of their plans in advance before they stab, choke or beat a prostitute to death. And we all talk so openly and frankly about the subject of prostitution and human trafficking to our economically disadvantaged women and girls. There's absolutely NO WAY any woman could EVER get the idea that prostitution was mainly about selling sex, and violence is avoidable and unnecessary.

Alceste

Vagabond

Some women do choose to become prostitutes because it's genuinely what they want to do, but that's a very small minority. I'm not saying homeless women aren't doing it out of economic desperation; I'm saying it isn't their only choice. Anyone that isn't kidnapped by a pimp is making the conscious decision to become a prostitute. Anything that happens after that is their problem.

It's only nonsense if you have no ambition. My mother did it, and I know plenty of others who worked their way up from the bottom. The problem with people is that they always want to be a victim, and by the time they realize nobody's gonna save them, they're too far gone.

Your mother was a prostitute?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
:facepalm: Yeah. You offer somebody a BJ in exchange for enough money to eat and find a bed indoors, you get your throat slit. I'm sure they're all completely aware from day one that's the name of the prostitution game. Nobody ever lies about it. Pimps never charm and sweet talk women into working for them. Johns always offer full disclosure of their plans in advance before they stab, choke or beat a prostitute to death. And we all talk so openly and frankly about the subject of prostitution and human trafficking to our economically disadvantaged women and girls. There's absolutely NO WAY any woman could EVER get the idea that prostitution was mainly about selling sex, and violence is avoidable and unnecessary.
They're stupid for listening; you're not gonna find any sympathy here...

Alceste

Vagabond
They're stupid for listening; you're not gonna find any sympathy here...

Obviously. What about for John Wayne Bobbitt, who got his pecker chopped off by his wife. Any sympathy for him? Or was he also basically asking for it?

Last edited:

Volodya

I've been assistant before, to a female of all things. And worked as a dishwasher and cook for... way too long of my life. That being said, your comparison to your inability to be a assistant or server fails significantly in comparison to many women who still find themselves incredibly underrepresented in fields like being a lawyer or a doctor or a CEO.

Probably because they have less value to the company, and are therefore paid less.

Volodya

Actually did, btw, in a thread called "Should Tipping Be Banned?" Again, I fail to see how terrible not making as much money as a female does in **** positions, when you are perfectly capable of applying oneself to be in a number of high ranking fields, where one will most be certainly find oneself advantaged to all women concerning pay and promotion.

Perhaps the guy who finds himself as a waiter, is not able to reach any higher.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Obviously. What about for John Wayne Bobbitt, who got his pecker chopped off by his wife. Any sympathy for him? Or was he also basically asking for it?
No sympathy there either. In fact, I have less sympathy for him than I do the prostitutes. He should have never got caught.

Volodya

Although I have no direct experience with Prostitution or those who got into it, I'm pretty sure all of the Women hanging out on dark street corners, waiting for strangers to have sex with, are not doing so out of their own "Choice".

for sure it's a choice, because otherwise they could work at Macdonalds, get on welfare or go out begging, or if they are addicts then they can give up.

It's a choice!

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Perhaps the guy who finds himself as a waiter, is not able to reach any higher.
That's not true at all. I'm a waiter, and it's definitely not all I hope to be. It's a great job to have now while I'm young because I pretty much make my own schedule and I make a good amount of money.

Alceste

Vagabond
No sympathy there either. In fact, I have less sympathy for him than I do the prostitutes. He should have never got caught.

Got caught doing what? Physically and psychologically abusing his wife until she lost her mind and chopped his junk off?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Lets just hope you are never enslaved abused and tortured for making a single bad choice after having been lied to in a time of desperate need.

Volodya

Many prostitutes do it because it pays good money - they are not all poor and desperate, not by a long shot!