• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Harris Really Worth Voting For?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
All I can say is...

Its very important as you have heard from so many incredible leaders
For us at every moment in time and certainly this one, to seize the moment in time in which we exist in our present
And to be able to contextualize it, to understand where we exist, in the history and in the moment as it relates not only to the past but the future

Yeah, whatever.

Pogo

Yeah, whatever.
He was trying to make a statement by not attributing a Harris quote to her as evidence that she is farther out than her opponent. Yes her's was an awkward statement though ultimately comprehensible if new agey, but nothing like claiming magnets don't work in water or the fact that bleach is a disinfectant and so maybe we ought to use it internally to combat Covid.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
He was trying to make a statement by not attributing a Harris quote to her as evidence that she is farther out than her opponent. Yes her's was an awkward statement though ultimately comprehensible if new agey, but nothing like claiming magnets don't work in water or the fact that bleach is a disinfectant and so maybe we ought to use it internally to combat Covid.

Thanks. I figure out that it was something like that. But I was focused on rights and privileges, so in that context it was a derail.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
The blue part if you click on it will take you to her source.
You are welcome.

toast.gif

Argentbear

You don't say what the profit was before the increase.
If a large company made $1 profit one year, & $8.18
the next year, that would be a 718% increase.

You see the problem with your argument.
Even if your claim is accurate.

I get happy when posters stop
proffering dumb arguments.
I doubt you will care or even acknowledge it but that 718% increase translates into roughly $4,595,200,000

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Drug patents, specifically.
Even other private companies and individuals can do that if they contributed to the drug in any way.
They can already do that, even if there's no evidence
or accusation of a crime. Biden created this "civil
forfeiture" policy, ie, if cops find that you have cash,
they can take it because it is possible that it is ill
gotten.
That's right, it's what our police do if they find more than £1000 (?) with not reason for it's presence. If legal ownership can later be proved then it is returned.

You must prove the money innocent in
order to have it returned. (There's no presumption
of innocence of money.)
As just explained.
OK.

Rhetorical question?
To make what relevant point?
Ability and disability...most of us have a share of both in different ways, but why should ability refuse to help disability?
The 'I built this all myself' brigade so often didn't.
If success refuses to assist the needy then it's just sick in a different way.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
U.S. citizens can also voluntarily give up their citizenship by renouncing it. To do so, they must:

1. Appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer in a foreign country

2. Sign an oath of renunciation

3. Pay a $2,350 fee
My best friend's son actually did this a few years ago, in Paris. My friend was born in the U.S. and has dual citizenship now. His son was born in the U.S. but has lived in Canada since the age of 2.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's telling to see Trumpers try to use "weird" now
They've done that with every meme used against them. They try to find a way to use it with regards to a Democrat. That's why we see all of this talk about the Democrats not being democratic regarding her nomination. The idea would never occur to them if it didn't apply to them. Trump is demented so suddenly they described Biden as demented. Trump is a rapist, so they depicted Joe as inappropriate with women. Trump failed in his self-coup, and so they describe Biden's retirement as a coup. Trump very likely used performance enhancing drugs at the debate but accused Biden of the same leading up to it (we've seen Trump without them and he can hardly articulate a coherent and comprehensible sentence in most of his campaign appearances). And on it goes.
Yes the DNC can ignore the primary election results if they choose.
They didn't have a choice. Joe won the primaries then announced his retirement from politics. Or did you think that they should still have given him the nomination and had his name put on ballots anyway?
Just heard on NPR Harris saying that being American is a "privilege". Dang....I thought that my citizenship was more than a privilege. It's my right.
It's both if you value it. I'm also an American, and it is my right to return to the States, but I have no interest in that or any of the other things that come with citizenship. It's actually a burden on me now, as I still have to file American taxes every year.

There was a time that I considered it a privilege to live there as well as a right, but now, it's just a right. If I chose to live there again for whatever reason, nobody could stop me.
Proposing price controls & property confiscation is extreme left.
Disagree. Trump will have his property confiscated if the Supreme Court doesn't run interference for him again. I call that justice. He has a debt to pay.

And price controls are useful when markets aren't free and collusion and price gouging occur. One could try to litigate that instead and break up oligopolies, but that takes years. Biden put a cap on insulin, and guess what? It's still profitable to sell it in the States. Hardly extreme.

These big businesses are not your friends no matter how cute their slogans and mascots. They don't exist for you. They exist for their owners and stockholders. We can peacefully coexist with them only if the government keeps them in check, otherwise, they'll steal your health, your labor, and your wealth.
aren't you a privileged white guy?
I was, although there isn't much privilege for me any more now that I have retired from medicine and expatriated to a brown country where I have minority and immigrant status. I don't miss it because I couldn't use it anymore.
But her minions liked it and cheered loudly
Her supporters love her. She is really very good at this. Who knew?
She was [a DEI hire]
Uh, no. She is where she is today due to a combination of talent, hard work, and some luck.

Trump, by contrast, was a beneficiary of affirmative action in the form of a huge inheritance. He got into Wharton knowing nothing and having no academic skills whatsoever because of a wealthy father (and came out it in the same condition).

He is a man with no talents at all unless you consider grifting a talent. The reality TV show was fantasy handed to him because he already had a little celebrity status due to his flamboyant lifestyle - he's incompetent in business - and getting to the White house was with a boost from Putin and another from Comey.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/...ich-kids-its-more-than-just-legacy-admissions

He's like Bush Jr. was: born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

Or a post turtle. When you see a turtle atop a post, you don't know how it got there, but you do know it didn't get there by itself. The same can be said of Trump. Without all of that affirmative action, he's a Wal-Mart greeter.
All I can say is...

"Its very important as you have heard from so many incredible leaders, For us at every moment in time and certainly this one, to seize the moment in time in which we exist in our present And to be able to contextualize it, to understand where we exist, in the history and in the moment as it relates not only to the past but the future"
It looks like you and MAGA are trying to make that sound like something she should be ashamed of having said. I see a coherent and correct comment there. That is exactly what she is doing, and very well.

What do you think that means? One MAGA called it word salad because he heard the phrase used to describe it in the video he linked to from Britain and Sky News, founded by the same Rupert Murdoch that gave America Fox News and its propaganda. Those talking heads were right out of Fox News, but with British accents. They know her message wasn't word salad, but their audience is as unsophisticated as Fox News consumers and cannot generally understand intelligent speech. You've seen them at the Trump rallies. They would have no idea what those words mean, and if somebody tells them it's gibberish, they have no way to evaluate the claim.

I'm wondering if there isn't a language comprehension problem here. You've always seemed smarter to me than that, but perhaps I'm confusing you with another poster. You've gone full MAGA in this thread.

Would it help if I paraphrased her? :

As we have been reminded repeatedly by great minds, we must consider and understand our present position in terms of the past as well as the future we desire and the one we might get if we don't understand what is at stake and don't take decisive action here and now."

Again, I ask - what did her words mean to you that you offer them to demean her as if they are self-evidently nonsense needing no comment?

Pogo

As we have been reminded repeatedly by great minds, we must consider and understand our present position in terms of the past as well as the future we desire and the one we might get if we don't understand what is at stake and don't take decisive action here and now."
It is not even really amazing that MAGA comprehension levels are such that covfefe and bleach injection are considered equivalent.

anna.

They've done that with every meme used against them. They try to find a way to use it with regards to a Democrat. That's why we see all of this talk about the Democrats not being democratic regarding her nomination. The idea would never occur to them if it didn't apply to them. Trump is demented so suddenly they described Biden as demented. Trump is a rapist, so they depicted Joe as inappropriate with women. Trump failed in his self-coup, and so they describe Biden's retirement as a coup. Trump very likely used performance enhancing drugs at the debate but accused Biden of the same leading up to it (we've seen Trump without them and he can hardly articulate a coherent and comprehensible sentence in most of his campaign appearances). And on it goes.

They didn't have a choice. Joe won the primaries then announced his retirement from politics. Or did you think that they should still have given him the nomination and had his name put on ballots anyway?

It's both if you value it. I'm also an American, and it is my right to return to the States, but I have no interest in that or any of the other things that come with citizenship. It's actually a burden on me now, as I still have to file American taxes every year.

There was a time that I considered it a privilege to live there as well as a right, but now, it's just a right. If I chose to live there again for whatever reason, nobody could stop me.

Disagree. Trump will have his property confiscated if the Supreme Court doesn't run interference for him again. I call that justice. He has a debt to pay.

And price controls are useful when markets aren't free and collusion and price gouging occur. One could try to litigate that instead and break up oligopolies, but that takes years. Biden put a cap on insulin, and guess what? It's still profitable to sell it in the States. Hardly extreme.

These big businesses are not your friends no matter how cute their slogans and mascots. They don't exist for you. They exist for their owners and stockholders. We can peacefully coexist with them only if the government keeps them in check, otherwise, they'll steal your health, your labor, and your wealth.

I was, although there isn't much privilege for me any more now that I have retired from medicine and expatriated to a brown country where I have minority and immigrant status. I don't miss it because I couldn't use it anymore.

Her supporters love her. She is really very good at this. Who knew?

Uh, no. She is where she is today due to a combination of talent, hard work, and some luck.

Trump, by contrast, was a beneficiary of affirmative action in the form of a huge inheritance. He got into Wharton knowing nothing and having no academic skills whatsoever because of a wealthy father (and came out it in the same condition).

He is a man with no talents at all unless you consider grifting a talent. The reality TV show was fantasy handed to him because he already had a little celebrity status due to his flamboyant lifestyle - he's incompetent in business - and getting to the White house was with a boost from Putin and another from Comey.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/...ich-kids-its-more-than-just-legacy-admissions

He's like Bush Jr. was: born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

Or a post turtle. When you see a turtle atop a post, you don't know how it got there, but you do know it didn't get there by itself. The same can be said of Trump. Without all of that affirmative action, he's a Wal-Mart greeter.

It looks like you and MAGA are trying to make that sound like something she should be ashamed of having said. I see a coherent and correct comment there. That is exactly what she is doing, and very well.

What do you think that means? One MAGA called it word salad because he heard the phrase used to describe it in the video he linked to from Britain and Sky News, founded by the same Rupert Murdoch that gave America Fox News and its propaganda. Those talking heads were right out of Fox News, but with British accents. They know her message wasn't word salad, but their audience is as unsophisticated as Fox News consumers and cannot generally understand intelligent speech. You've seen them at the Trump rallies. They would have no idea what those words mean, and if somebody tells them it's gibberish, they have no way to evaluate the claim.

I'm wondering if there isn't a language comprehension problem here. You've always seemed smarter to me than that, but perhaps I'm confusing you with another poster. You've gone full MAGA in this thread.

Would it help if I paraphrased her? :

Again, I ask - what did her words mean to you that you offer them to demean her as if they are self-evidently nonsense needing no comment?

That was a great post.

Pogo

Sinking electric boats, sharks ten yards away, Hannibal Lecter.

Person, woman, man, camera, TV.
How Does the 5-Word Memory Test Work? Participants are given a set of 5 random words to remember for a short duration before being asked to recall them. This seemingly rudimentary exercise is underlined by intricate cognitive processes, and it can be a vital tool in the early detection of impaired cognitive function.Apr 29, 2024

I have passed mine twice this year alone in spite of the fact that the second time the nurse forgot to ask the questions at the appropriate time point. Unfortunately I didn't think of using Donald's set until after I had answered this minor directional test.

This guy really thinks this is a test of his cognitive abilities? Spare us please.

anna.

How Does the 5-Word Memory Test Work? Participants are given a set of 5 random words to remember for a short duration before being asked to recall them. This seemingly rudimentary exercise is underlined by intricate cognitive processes, and it can be a vital tool in the early detection of impaired cognitive function.Apr 29, 2024

I have passed mine twice this year alone in spite of the fact that the second time the nurse forgot to ask the questions at the appropriate time point. Unfortunately I didn't think of using Donald's set until after I had answered this minor directional test.

This guy really thinks this is a test of his cognitive abilities? Spare us please.

We only have his word for it that he actually remembered them, and you know what that's worth...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So now we have the question: was cancelling a passport (privilege?) while a citizen is abroad a means by which to alienate (in the literal sense) a natural-born citizen of their citizenship right?
Again, rights can be taken away.
Just not as easily as a privilege.
I can't establish a specific line
of demarcation between them.