• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hell too harsh?

Rapture Era

Right. It came up at the Council of Nicea. I personally don't see why so many people have a problem with it not being in the Bible. But then, I didn't grow up in a Sola Scriptura house, so that might be why :p
I dont know why its such a big problem either, but you know,
everyone is different.:) Im not gonna loose any sleep over it.:D

captainbryce

I direct you to all the Christians who did, and still do, plenty of evil things in the name of Christ. They accepted Jesus, all right, yet were still capable of evil.
And I direct you to the book of Matthew :)

Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And I direct you to the book of Matthew :)

Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Then someone who accepts Jesus is not by definition good. Deeds make someone good.

I was hoping you'd quote that verse.

ZooGirl02

Is Dante's cosmology pretty much the Catholic Church's stance?

'Cause if so, I'm pretty much doomed to Limbo, anyway, and that's perfectly fine with me. :yes:

I honestly don't know if the Church has ever formed a stance on the specifics of Hell as related to various sins or not. Sorry. I do want to say, though, that according to Catholic teaching, only a mortal sin can send someone to Hell and you must have 1. Full knowledge that the sin is grave matter. 2. The sin actually must be grave matter. and 3. Full consent of the will. in order for their to be a mortal sin.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I honestly don't know if the Church has ever formed a stance on the specifics of Hell as related to various sins or not. Sorry. I do want to say, though, that according to Catholic teaching, only a mortal sin can send someone to Hell and you must have 1. Full knowledge that the sin is grave matter. 2. The sin actually must be grave matter. and 3. Full consent of the will. in order for their to be a mortal sin.

Gotcha.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Then someone who accepts Jesus is not by definition good. Deeds make someone good.

I was hoping you'd quote that verse.

Especially because the deeds they are claiming to do have nothing to do with good works. They aren't helping the widow or the orphan, they are not feeding the sheep, they are not giving their possessions. They claim with their mouths and do miracles with their hearts...but their works are lacking.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You have almost 19,000 posts. I had to giggle a little when I read your response. You've heard that verse how many times now?:D

It's from the Sermon on the Mount, which also happens to be among my favorite pieces of Scripture.

Regardless, my point still stands: accepting Jesus does not make someone good by default, because Jesus hasn't necessarily accepted the acceptor. 'Tis deeds that make one good.

Rapture Era

It's from the Sermon on the Mount, which also happens to be among my favorite pieces of Scripture.

Regardless, my point still stands: accepting Jesus does not make someone good by default, because Jesus hasn't necessarily accepted the acceptor. 'Tis deeds that make one good.
I agree with you and kind of with your last statement. Yes deeds seem to show the goodness of a person but doesnt mean the person is good from a sin standpoint. I say this only from my own belief because all of us, including Christians like myself have the potential for evil to raise its ugly head in our lives. For example, someone cuts you off on the road or someone does someting to really make you mad. Its at that moment a person needs to decide how they are going to respond in that situation. And I dont care whether you are a Christian or not, we all slip up. But for the most part I think we all want to treat people the way we want to be treated.;)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I agree with you and kind of with your last statement. Yes deeds seem to show the goodness of a person but doesnt mean the person is good from a sin standpoint. I say this only from my own belief because all of us, including Christians like myself have the potential for evil to raise its ugly head in our lives. For example, someone cuts you off on the road or someone does someting to really make you mad. Its at that moment a person needs to decide how they are going to respond in that situation. And I dont care whether you are a Christian or not, we all slip up. But for the most part I think we all want to treat people the way we want to be treated.;)

Of course. We're all human, and humans are emotional first, and rational second.

But, so far as I can tell, this still only exists from the standpoint of civilization. Once you get into the natural world, there's no sinner or saint, only survival. And though we try to avoid it, it remains a fact that our most natural instincts call for survival, both of ourselves and of our tribe (that is, the people we most associate with.) It is the extremely rare person who can defy that instinct.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
About that verse in Matthew. If someone calls himself or herself a Christian, yet is mean-spirited, condemns others, doesn't show mercy, etc., then that person doesn't appear to follow Jesus' commands. It's not to say that the works save us, it is to say that those who are Christians do the works because they want to. :)

FranklinMichaelV.3

About that verse in Matthew. If someone calls himself or herself a Christian, yet is mean-spirited, condemns others, doesn't show mercy, etc., then that person doesn't appear to follow Jesus' commands. It's not to say that the works save us, it is to say that those who are Christians do the works because they want to. :)

But it is the work. Through works one shows faith, through faith one does the works.

It's like saying you love someone, sure you can believe it, sure you can say it, but if you're not doing it what does it matter? What value is it?

All that Jesus commanded people to do were works.

Rapture Era

But it is the work. Through works one shows faith, through faith one does the works.

It's like saying you love someone, sure you can believe it, sure you can say it, but if you're not doing it what does it matter? What value is it?

All that Jesus commanded people to do were works.
:yes: We demostrate our faith by our works.

gnostic

The Lost One
For rapists and child molesters, hell is not harsh enough.

As to what people believe, I think punishing people who don't believe in the same god or follow a religion different to others, seemed like gross injustice to me.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Of course it is! Only a complete sadist would create such a concept! It's beyond evil! There is no supposed "crime" that calls for an eternity of infinite torment with no hope for reprieve! I don't care what horrible thing you can think of, nothing deserves that. I think the people promoting such a concept don't really grasp the concept of eternity. Eternal, conscious torment, with no hope for ever having it relieved in the slightest sense. A trillion years will pass and it will still be as if you've just begun, and it will never end.

"Heaven" sounds like a complete bore, too! I want nothing to do with the Abrahamic paradigm!

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
"Heaven" sounds like a complete bore, too! I want nothing to do with the Abrahamic paradigm!
Heaven is like this boring private school where everything is regulated and forbidden. It's like Hell! LOL.

And Hell... well, that's the party place. There's a BBQ already going. We only need to bring beer.
:drunk: