• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mormonism compatible with the Bible?

Muffled

Jesus in me
What you appear to be saying (I’m basing this on your use of the phrase “as opposed to”) is that you see it as impossible that God could be “spirit” and also have a corporeal body. We don’t believe that to be the case at all. We see the spirit (whether it be ours spirits or God’s spirit) as a life force which can either reside within a corporeal body or fully independent of such a body. And yes, Joseph Smith did say that God has a body of flesh. He was referring to physical form. When the Bible says that God is spirit, it is referring to the essence of God’s being (i.e. His spirit). With respect to whether God has or does not have a corporeal body, the Bible simply doesn’t say one way or the other.

Quite simply then a statement by the Mormon church that God is in a body is not Biblical.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Quite simply then a statement by the Mormon church that God is in a body is not Biblical.

What makes you think the Bible is the only source of Christian belief.

we get Gods message from many sources.
Sacred Tradition
Personal revelation
Revelation through past and present Saints
Revelation through the work of scholars and mystics
From re-interpretation of ancient texts
From the insights of modern Christian believers.

The "Church Fathers" had no exclusive abilities to divine God's will and no exclusive right to determine what we should believe today.
God is as active today as he ever was, and we are as receptive to his will as we ever were.

In addition Mormons believe their Prophet interprets/reveals God's will.
All Christian Churches change over time in answer to changing needs and with the help and guidance of God. An active Prophet would support this view.

One can not argue the nature of God solely from words that may or not be found in the Bible. Some Christians believe that God has the form and likeness of man. Most are probably agnostic as to him having a bodily form or not. Probably a large majority believe he would use a manlike bodily form were he to appear to us.

I can see no reason to either support or reject the Mormon View of the nature of God. However it fits well with their view of the before and afterlife.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
You can skirt it all you want but -

His paper says we are God's spirit children - God was once as us - we can also be gods and goddesses - with our own spirit children (hence the marriage eternal bond) - whom need somewhere to live - thus creation of universes with planets - just as this last God.
You know what? When someone tells me right upfront that anything I say will be misquoted and then used against me, that alone is reason enough for me to not continue to bother trying.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Katzpur in pajamas? No wonder there is no admittance. I wonder if I would be thumped on the head if I tried to take a peek? I believe I would be willing to take the risk to see magic performed. (Not the illusional stuff but the real thing)
Well then, I'd suggest you go find a magic show to go watch because no magic tricks are performed in the temple.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
As is any statement to the contrary by any other church. There is a difference between un-biblical and non-biblical.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
So you DENY that the Mormon religion teaches that at least some individual humans (or perhaps only males; I don't know) can become gods?
Did you even bother to read post #11? Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder whether some people even make an effort to get it right. How on earth could I have explained our belief any more clearly than I did in that post? And how could you have read it and yet so utterly misunderstood it?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
katzpur, can i ask if the book of Mormon contains the divine name?

The divine name is represented by the Tetragrammaton (4 hebrew characters) in the Hebrew sriptures.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
katzpur, can i ask if the book of Mormon contains the divine name?

The divine name is represented by the Tetragrammaton (4 hebrew characters) in the Hebrew sriptures.
No, the letters "YHWH" are not found in the Book of Mormon. The name is rendered in its more-pronounceable English form.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Katzpur, the Book of Mormon is said to be an account of a group of Jews moving to live in America. What do you make of the fact that the narrative contains practically no reference to Jewish culture at all? And if you disagree and think it does, would you mind referring to the passages where Jewish practices are described?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You know what? When someone tells me right upfront that anything I say will be misquoted and then used against me, that alone is reason enough for me to not continue to bother trying.

LOL! You have got to be kidding.

I found that quote and knew it would be perfect for this type of forum, where people constantly misread, misunderstand, etc.

This is a forum. Why are you this angry about being challenged?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
LOL! You have got to be kidding.
LOL? You're rather easily amused, aren't you?

This is a forum. Why are you this angry about being challenged?
Nobody's angry. I'm simply tired of repeating myself. I've answered your question several times already (see post #11, post #12, post #28 and post #73). If I couldn't take being challenged, I wouldn't still be around here after nearly eight years and have 23,000 posts to my credit. It was me, after all, who started this thread. The person who initially challenged me hasn't even bothered to post.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
LOL? You're rather easily amused, aren't you?

Nobody's angry. I'm simply tired of repeating myself. I've answered your question several times already (see post #11, post #12, post #28 and post #73). If I couldn't take being challenged, I wouldn't still be around here after nearly eight years and have 23,000 posts to my credit. It was me, after all, who started this thread. The person who initially challenged me hasn't even bothered to post.

The point here is that you don't like being proven wrong.

People are repeating this info because it IS IN YOUR CHURCH DOCUMENTS, and obviously being read and taught, as church members are the ones telling it to others.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Katzpur, the Book of Mormon is said to be an account of a group of Jews moving to live in America. What do you make of the fact that the narrative contains practically no reference to Jewish culture at all? And if you disagree and think it does, would you mind referring to the passages where Jewish practices are described?
Mosiah 1 through Mosiah 6 contains a classic example of an farewell speech in the ancient Semitic style. One non-LDS scholar, William S. Kurz, has identified some 20 elements that appear in various ancient farewell discourses. Of the 20, 16 are present in this particular speech (which is actually more than any other ancient farewell speech found to date). Throughout the entire Book of Mormon there is evidence of Hebraic language structure (accounting for a translatation that at times seems awkward in English). The linguistic evidences that the book is from an ancient Semitic manuscript are actually quite compelling. I could go into them in more detail if you like.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Well, so far that hasn't happened, but thank you for your comments, anyway. You are the persistent one, aren't you? :D I hope you'll excuse me if I just tune you out from now on (unless you actually have something new to say...) :banghead3

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
okay.... do you have more information?
None that you would likely find valid.

Do we know their names?
Well, I do, yeah. Would you like a list of their names so that you can tell me they aren't mentioned in the Bible and so that I can respond that they lived on an entirely different continent and their names were not known to the writers of the Bible? ;)

and how do we know they were prophets??
I know because I've read and studied their words and have prayed about them. The Holy Ghost has testified to me that they were true prophets. I don't know what more I can say to you. You are 100% convinced that they weren't prophets and I'm really okay with that. I'm not trying to changed your mind. Actually, what I'm really trying to do is just stick to the topic of the question I posed in the title of this thread, and finding it very difficult to do.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:

Well, so far that hasn't happened, but thank you for your comments, anyway. You are the persistent one, aren't you? :D I hope you'll excuse me if I just tune you out from now on (unless you actually have something new to say...) :banghead3

I showed you one of the places the information is coming from in your church documents, - one of your apostles, - and a couple of us mentioned MORMONS telling us this info =

So how am I wrong - and you not?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So how am I wrong - and you not?
Because you are completely ignoring her responses and merely repeating the same false claim.

Now it is my personal opinion that since you are merely repeating the same false claim after being told more than once that it is not only a false claim but also why it is a false claim that you are now knowingly and willingly repeating a bold face lie.

What are people who knowingly and willingly repeat lies called?