• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Mormonism compatible with the Bible?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
okay.... do you have more information? Who were they? Where are they from? Do we know their names? and how do we know they were prophets??

The same questions can be asked about the Authors and Prophets in the Bible, with a similar lack of verifiable proof.

Few Christians believe "Everything" written in the Bible. Very little is known about the actual authors or even who many are. Prophet-hood is never provable.
These things are accepted on "Faith" and with "Prayer" and with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Equally some may be rejected.
(the Bible can not be used to prove itself)

The same must be true for those that accept the Book of Mormon.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I disagree.
People use the Bible to justify all manner of things.
Including their using the Bible to justify all manner of things.

Your disagreeing with me?

I agree with you. How is it you do not agree with me? Odd.

The Bible all alone explains itself. Put people in the mix and you've got a problem. I could not agree with you more. Yes. People are "using the Bible". It is always wrong to use the Bible. It will stop, one way or another.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible is coherent. It was written under the power of Holy Spirit. When it is read under the power of the Holy Spirit it makes perfect sense. To me the Bible is a person. The best person I know.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

idea

Question Everything
The Bible all alone explains itself.

I have not read all 14 pages, so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Bible itself tells us there is more scripture out there than just the Bible:

(Bible Dictionary | L Lost Books:Entry)

Lost Books. The so-called lost books of the Bible are those documents that are mentioned in the Bible in such a way that it is evident they were considered authentic and valuable, but that are not found in the Bible today. Sometimes called missing scripture, they consist of at least the following:

book of the Wars of the Lord (Num. 21:14);
book of Jasher (Josh. 10:13; 2 Sam. 1:18);
book of the acts of Solomon (1 Kgs. 11:41);
book of Samuel the seer (1 Chr. 29:29);
book of Gad the seer (1 Chr. 29:29);
book of Nathan the prophet (1 Chr. 29:29; 2 Chr. 9:29);
prophecy of Ahijah (2 Chr. 9:29);
visions of Iddo the seer (2 Chr. 9:29; 12:15; 13:22);
book of Shemaiah (2 Chr. 12:15);
book of Jehu (2 Chr. 20:34);
sayings of the seers (2 Chr. 33:19);
an epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, earlier than our present 1 Corinthians (1 Cor. 5:9);
possibly an earlier epistle to the Ephesians (Eph. 3:3);
an epistle to the Church at Laodicea (Col. 4:16);
and some prophecies of Enoch, known to Jude (Jude 1:14).

To these rather clear references to inspired writings other than our current Bible may be added another list that has allusions to writings that may or may not be contained within our present text, but may perhaps be known by a different title; for example, the book of the covenant (Ex. 24:7), which may or may not be included in the current book of Exodus; the manner of the kingdom, written by Samuel (1 Sam. 10:25); the rest of the acts of Uzziah written by Isaiah (2 Chr. 26:22).

The foregoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the Lord that he gave to his people in former times, and remind us that the Bible, in its present form, is rather incomplete.

Matthew's reference to a prophecy that Jesus would be a Nazarene (2:23) is interesting when it is considered that our present O.T. seems to have no statement as such. There is a possibility, however, that Matthew alluded to Isaiah 11:1, which prophesies of the Messiah as a Branch from the root of Jesse, the father of David. The Hebrew word for branch in this case is netzer, the source word of Nazarene and Nazareth. Additional references to the Branch as the Savior and Messiah are found in Jer. 23:5; 33:15; Zech. 3:8; 6:12; these use a synonymous Hebrew word for branch, tzemakh.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. Your point is what? Knowledge puffs up. The Bible is not about knowledge. It seems to me that your list is books about knowledge. Knowledge of all things is not needed to hear what the Spirit says to the congregations. Some knowledge is necessary, I am sure. My apologies Katzpur for participating in the derailing. I wonder what you think of my post about the doctrine of no human interference?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have not read all 14 pages, so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Bible itself tells us there is more scripture out there than just the Bible:

I do not think the Bible tell us that at all...
however it does allude to writings we no longer have.
And we have writings it does not contain nor allude to.

There is a vast amount of religious writing, written before and since the Bible was compiled.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I disagree. The Bible proves itself....but it cannot be "used" (you got that part right!)

Sure it's used for all sorts of things. But I don't think the Bible proves or explains itself. A better example of a book explaining itself would be to take a dictionary, and look up the word "dictionary."

McBell

Admiral Obvious

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I do not think the Bible tell us that at all...

however it does allude to writings we no longer have.
And we have writings it does not contain nor allude to.

There is a vast amount of religious writing, written before and since the Bible was compiled.
Define "scripture"