• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution "immoral"?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
because men are imperfect...they dont view woman as their equals. However God does, and that is why laws were put in place. God saw to it that womens rights were written into the mosaic law so that men would not use and abuse them.

just read the mosaic law
So you saying that men saw woman as property and that is why god had to make laws to tell men to not treat woman as property?

Which sounds good until you realize that it is gods law that says that men are to pay the woman's father....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People can ask what God decrees, but he won't answer.
But ask Dr Revoltingest, & I will give quick & clear responses.
None of it will be true, but I'll be full of opinions.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So you saying that men saw woman as property and that is why god had to make laws to tell men to not treat woman as property?

Which sounds good until you realize that it is gods law that says that men are to pay the woman's father....

the practice of paying a dowry was around long before Gods laws came on the scene. women were treated like property and had no rights whatsoever.

Gods laws stipulated that women should have rights and laws were given to isreal stating so.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Gods laws stipulated that women should have rights and laws were given to isreal stating so.

By "rights" you mean the laws of that god who wants raped women to marry their rapists, right? I mean, there must have been zillions of ancient women who breathed a sigh of relief when they heard their god had at last given them the right to marry their rapists. Whoot!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
the practice of paying a dowry was around long before Gods laws came on the scene. women were treated like property and had no rights whatsoever.

So you are saying that men saw woman as property and that is why god had to make laws to tell men to not treat woman as property?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

What rights, pray tell?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What rights, pray tell?

“You must not commit adultery.” Ex 20:14 This law applied to the husband just as much to the wife thereby showing Gods view of equality between man and wife.

Deuteronomy 25:5, 6 “In case brothers dwell together and one of them has died without his having a son, the wife of the dead one should not become a strange man’s outside. Her brother-in-law should go to her" this law was to provide the widow with the right to be remarried to someone inside the family...some widows may have been aged and might have found it difficult to remarry seeing most men want someone young....so this law was a loving provision the prevent women being left lonely and vulnerable.

The sons of a concubine had legal right to an inheritence, they were not to be considered illegitimate. . and concubines themselves were to be treated as secondary wives.

No divorce was allowed a man if he had seduced the girl before marriage or if he had falsely charged after marriage that she was deceptive in claiming to be a virgin at the time of their marriage.—De 22:13-19, 28, 29.

Daughters were given inheritence rights if a father died without having any sons
“In case any man should die without his having a son, you must then cause his inheritance to pass to his daughter.”—Numbers 27:1-11.

If a man seduced a young virgin, he had to marry her and was unable to ever divorce her "and she will become his wife due to the fact that he humiliated her. He will not be allowed to divorce her all his days.”—Deuteronomy 22:28, 29.

there are many laws which protected the rights of women and elevated the status of women.

Banner

I hope that prostitutes experience a similar status boost.

Buuuuut, isn't morality all about our standards for the particular subject at hand? This subject being sex. Does buying sex cheapen it? Do we care about cheapening it is the real question.

CynthiaCypher

Buuuuut, isn't morality all about our standards for the particular subject at hand? This subject being sex. Does buying sex cheapen it? Do we care about cheapening it is the real question.

I say it does cheapen it because it makes sex just another commodity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sex is all about how the participants perceive it.
If some do it for pay, why should that diminish pleasure or meaning for others?

I suppose you could cheapen it if you asked for a senior discount.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

I wonder if they offer AAA discounts.....

Banner

I say it does cheapen it because it makes sex just another commodity.

I tend to agree CC. So for me yes, prostitution is immoral. Because I think it cheapens the act. And that's the strongest case I have against it. Every other argument I have against it...doesn't hold up.

Banner

Haha funny. No but seriously, if you place no more value on the act of sex than having an orgasm, then fine. Paying for it can't really cheapen it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I tend to agree CC. So for me yes, prostitution is immoral. Because I think it cheapens the act. And that's the strongest case I have against it. Every other argument I have against it...doesn't hold up.
If cheapening is what makes it immoral, then would other similar acts also be immoral, eg, casual sex, bored sex, sex for pleasure rather than procreation?

Banner

If cheapening is what makes it immoral, then would other similar acts also be immoral, eg, casual sex, bored sex, sex for pleasure rather than procreation?

Possibly. But it's not that black and white. As we both know. And I'm not totally sure what kind of value we as a whole should place on sex. I'm simply speaking from my personal feeling at the moment. Whether or not they are...worthy or not. I don't think having sex with someone that doesn't care about me feels good after the fact. So I have this "standard" for sex. Yada yada I think you get the point.

nnmartin

You claim that prostitution is always sexual exploitation of the woman. So...please explain HOW a fully competent, self-sufficient, in charge woman, who chooses her own clients and charges her own fees, is being exploited by the men she chooses to have sex with?

here the woman would be exploiting herself.

She has become a victim of avarice and has lost her sense of value.

This is far worse than the usual situation of a girl working in this way just to survive.

So in this case, the woman is choosing to be exploited by men - hence still exploitation but self induced.

nnmartin

Now here's where I get lost a bit...if a woman gets a male prostitute, same race and income bracket and all...is there any sexual exploitation and who is the exploited one? :p

that is totally different becuase most men don't mind being sexually exploited by a woman, especially if they are getting paid for it.

more of a male fantasy really!

nnmartin

now those that say prostitution is wrong need to come up with a solution for how these girls are supposed to make money.

If there are no other jobs for them and no welfare etc..then what are they supposed to do?

It's hardly ideal for them but poverty and morality are hardly the best bedfellows.

CynthiaCypher

now those that say prostitution is wrong need to come up with a solution for how these girls are supposed to make money.

If there are no other jobs for them and no welfare etc..then what are they supposed to do?

It's hardly ideal for them but poverty and morality are hardly the best bedfellows.

I already said...education.