• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution "immoral"?

CynthiaCypher

Yes, because everyone knows merely having an education will make you loads and loads of money....

I am sincerely sorry if you think having an education as in anyway failed you in achieving your goals. But I believe with all my heart and soul that having an education is one of the most sacred of values. I place knowledge as the most sacred thing a human being can have.

Draka

Wonder Woman
here the woman would be exploiting herself.

She has become a victim of avarice and has lost her sense of value.

This is far worse than the usual situation of a girl working in this way just to survive.

So in this case, the woman is choosing to be exploited by men - hence still exploitation but self induced.
Who says she's lost her sense of value? Why must a woman's value be connected with what she does sexually? Since when is my value as a woman directly tied to what I do with my vagina?

that is totally different becuase most men don't mind being sexually exploited by a woman, especially if they are getting paid for it.

more of a male fantasy really!
Ok, now wait. So a woman's value is directly connected with her vagina and if she sells her vaginal services then she's somehow being sexually exploited BUT obviously a man's self worth either doesn't have anything to do with his penis or is figured in the reverse and if he sells his erected member services then it doesn't negatively affect his value as a man...shoot, it's a fantasy?

And you don't see ANY problem with the double standard presented here?

nnmartin

Cynthia:

that may be true but it does not necessarily mean you will always have a job.

Plenty of people finish high school and many get college degrees but a lot of these people will fall through the cracks and be out of work or get into drugs etc..

education in general is a fine thing but I can't see how that will stop prostitiution.

nnmartin

Ok, now wait. So a woman's value is directly connected with her vagina and if she sells her vaginal services then she's somehow being sexually exploited BUT obviously a man's self worth either doesn't have anything to do with his penis or is figured in the reverse and if he sells his erected member services then it doesn't negatively affect his value as a man...shoot, it's a fantasy?

And you don't see ANY problem with the double standard presented here?

It's not a double standard at all - The male is the dominant partner in intercourse because he is doing the insertion.

this is key difference.

you must also factor in the emotional effects too - sex for most men is more of a physical function with little in the way of feelings , yet for women this is not the case.

also, men have a biological need to sleep with many women so to get paid for it at the same time is a kind of double bonus.

not very PC for sure, but just a fact of nature though I doubt you will agree.

Now, if a woman has plenty of money and other means why would she choose to continue as a sex-worker?

CynthiaCypher

Cynthia:

that may be true but it does not necessarily mean you will always have a job.

Plenty of people finish high school and many get college degrees but a lot of these people will fall through the cracks and be out of work or get into drugs etc..

education in general is a fine thing but I can't see how that will stop prostitiution.

Knowledge is always power.

CynthiaCypher

good to have knowledge, but when there's high unemployment or very low wages it may not be enough.

The goal of knowledge isn't monetary gain but to "Know thyself". I am a Gnostic, my values and my morality stem from my religion. Do you have a problem with that?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that prostitution cheapens sex for both males and females. It is supposed to be an act of love- at least that's the way it was explained to me as a child. I guess I am very old fashioned about that.

CynthiaCypher

I believe that prostitution cheapens sex for both males and females. It is supposed to be an act of love- at least that's the way it was explained to me as a child. I guess I am very old fashioned about that.

No you are not old fashioned, you just value something as sacred and so do I.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I thinik we should try to force everyone to have exactly the same kind of sex as we ourselves prefer and approve of. So, if we prefer and approve of one-night stands, then we should say all sorts of bull about one-night stands being the only moral sex and all other sex being immoral in order to make everyone have one night stands and just one night stands. Cause nothing on earth shows what moral people we are so much as our refussal to see anyone else's morals as legitimate.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It's not a double standard at all - The male is the dominant partner in intercourse because he is doing the insertion.

this is key difference.

you must also factor in the emotional effects too - sex for most men is more of a physical function with little in the way of feelings , yet for women this is not the case.

also, men have a biological need to sleep with many women so to get paid for it at the same time is a kind of double bonus.

not very PC for sure, but just a fact of nature though I doubt you will agree.

Now, if a woman has plenty of money and other means why would she choose to continue as a sex-worker?

So tab A is always dominant over slot B? Like the pitcher is always dominant over the catcher in baseball? Silly me, I thought one wasn't much good without the other. The goal to be reached can't be reached without both.

And you also have quite a strange view when it comes to how the sexes view sex. Men have a biological need to sleep with many women? So, you are basically of the mind that a man can't be blamed if he cheats on his wife...he was only fulfilling his biological need right? This again goes right back to that double standard, and YES, it is a double standard, that says that men who bed many women are "real men", "players", men other men want to be like.....while women who bed many men are sluts, whores, and cheap floozies who are disease ridden worthless creatures. EXCUSE ME, but who do you think are sleeping with those "players" and "real men" to get them the notches on their bedpost??? The attitude you give off here is the most sickening attitude that basically is that attitude which looks at a one night stand and gives a big "thumbs up" and a pat on the back to the man, yet shames the woman as a ****. You honestly don't see this as wrong in some way?

Why should women be looked down upon and thought of as lesser for the exact same things a man does and get praised for???

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why can't people worry about themselves when it comes to sex?

Think having many sex partners somehow cheapens sex or devalues you as a person? ... Don't have many sex partners.

However, just because you feel sex should be a certain way it doesn't mean that everyone places the same value or importance on it the same way you do.

I hate to bring this in here, but really...it's like gay marriage. If you don't approve of marrying the same gender, then don't, but don't say that someone else can't just because you don't want to. If you don't approve of prostitution, then don't become a prostitute and don't go to one, but don't say that others can't just because you have issues with it.

CynthiaCypher

Why can't people worry about themselves when it comes to sex?

Think having many sex partners somehow cheapens sex or devalues you as a person? ... Don't have many sex partners.

However, just because you feel sex should be a certain way it doesn't mean that everyone places the same value or importance on it the same way you do.

I hate to bring this in here, but really...it's like gay marriage. If you don't approve of marrying the same gender, then don't, but don't say that someone else can't just because you don't want to. If you don't approve of prostitution, then don't become a prostitute and don't go to one, but don't say that others can't just because you have issues with it.

Then qhy ask people in a public forum whether they think prostitution is immoral if you don't like what they say?

Draka

Wonder Woman
To debate the absurdity of the arguments presented. Honestly, it's one thing to to just say that perhaps your religion is against something and therefore, as per your religious instruction, it is immoral. It's quite another to provide really bad reasoning like "the woman is always sexually exploited" or "men have a biological need to have lots of sex and women don't" and other such inane arguments. :facepalm: