• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution "immoral"?

nnmartin

a male prostitute having sex with other men is also immoral.

as for the male getting paid to have sex with women:

this is fine as already disucssed - ie: it is more natural.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Rape is perfectly natural actually.

Specially in our species.

Not all species are capable of raping their females and those that are do. Orangutans are an example of this.

So I wouldn´t enforce "natural order" too high in moral value.

Is rape more moral than prostitution?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Actually, rape is more common in gorillas and other chimpanzees than homosexuality (which is also common at least in gorilas)

Gorilas/monkyes (dont remember now) that bribe females with fruits also exist and is a perfectly succesful way to get lead in monkey kingdom. It´s the way the can get some without being the strongest "better looking" apes.

Just as humans! :D

nnmartin

legalising prostitution seems to be the answer here.

I can't really see why it is banned in the first place.

any ideas?

turk179

I smell something....
a male prostitute having sex with other men is also immoral.

as for the male getting paid to have sex with women:

this is fine as already disucssed - ie: it is more natural.
When you mention immorality, are you referring to the moral code of society or the moral code of the individual? And can you tell me what nature has to do with morality? Do you believe that it is immoral for women to have freedom of choice or independence?

nnmartin

Turk:

it's more the moral code of the individual here.

We should abide by Nature's rules as close as possible as most of the things we do interact with Its design.

People are social animals, Nature has given us the ability to acknowledge this so we should avoid unnecessarily harming others or the planet.

yes, people should have freedom of choice and independence to a degree, but the way in which their actions affect others needs to factored in.

anyway, like I said above - prostitution should be legalised and the issue of morality is merley an academic matter.

turk179

I smell something....
legalising prostitution seems to be the answer here.

I can't really see why it is banned in the first place.

any ideas?
As long as the participants are adults and consenting, I believe that it should be legal. As to why it isn't is because during the late 19th century and early 20th century the United States was going regulation and control crazy. Anti trust laws, food and drug laws, alcohol and tobacco, prostitution and what not. If it couldn't be controlled then it was made illegal. Much easier that way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It would be immoral to enjoy prostitution because that would amount to enjoying the exploitation of another person. Thus, it is moral to engage in prostitution as long as the participants are conservatives -- because conservatives don't enjoy things, especially sex.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
no, this is a different situation.

It's not misogyny at all because the fact is, men and women are different.

Most men would queue up for free sex , if they were to be getting paid as well there would be a line one mile long!

A woman doesn't need to pay for sex so by selling herself she is abusing her natural feminine gift.

Thus, slightly immoral.

****-shaming. It does misogyny good.

Rakhel

If we are talking about the moral code of the individual, then it does not have to be immoral.
Prostitution is legally regulated in certain parts of Nevada. The women are medically tested on a regular basis. They pay taxes, and they make a butload of money. ($5000 per client). Is prostitution immoral to the individual paying or receiving money for sex? I seriously doubt it.
As for other locations and prostitutes, how immoral is it? Depends on the individual, as you said.
There are those that do it because they are caught in a cycle they can't escape from.
There are those that do it to pay for school, either for themselves or their kids
Then, there are those that do it just because.

nnmartin

$5000 per client?

over what kind of period, how many times etc..

I can't see anyone paying that kind of money unless they were getting many visits.

How much per time?

with that kind of money I could buy a roundtrip ticket to Thailand, pay for a 3 week holiday and have nearly 100 girls - are you sure you have your figures correct here??

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Is prostitution "immoral" to you, and why or why not?

With the way things are, I would say yes, only because it lowers the quality of life. When prostitutes come, drug dealers come, gangs, etc. You never see one without the other problems in a neighborhood.

On the subject, yesterday I saw on the news, a priest I used to know was recently arrested for patronizing a prostitute. Kinda sad.

nnmartin

well that depends on where you live perhaps.

however is the concept of prostitution immoral - ie: the act of paying or selling?

as I said earlier, I think paying to be ok though perhaps 'slightly distasteful' (like a one night stand) and the act of selling to be 'slightly immoral'.

gangs and drug dealers only come out more because it is illegal - we should legalise this natural physical act.

Rakhel

Per visit. as for what they get per visit with that kind of money, I wouldn't know. I have never had to pay for sex.
However, I have had money thrown at me but a completely hateful and immoral person who thought judging people made him feel better about himself.

nnmartin

It is natural to pay for sexual gratification?

Not that I know...:rolleyes:

actually, I would say that this is natural.

this is because man , in his primitive state , would pay for sex in other ways such as providing food etc..

in a more modern sense a man may well pay for it by providing dinner, a night out , a nice bottle of wine or perhaps a nice necklace.

the concept is the same - buying sex straight up just cuts through the pointless ritual.

nnmartin

Per visit. as for what they get per visit with that kind of money, I wouldn't know. I have never had to pay for sex.
However, I have had money thrown at me but a completely hateful and immoral person who thought judging people made him feel better about himself.

first off, I don't think I believe in your figures.

but let's say they are correct for the sake of the argument.

we must ask - what is wrong with society when a man has to pay $5000 to get laid?

this is a clear problem - think of the financial hardship caused to the man in this scenario.

another reason for legislation - let supply and demand economic forces take over to create a realistic price for the customers and better opportunites for the workers. (better meaning safer)