• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the hijab unnecessary?

.lava

Veteran Member
If one chooses to wear the hijab, or any other attire that is prescribed by religion or tradition (habit, full length dress, head scarf etc.) so be it. It is a choice.

When forced to do so, it becomes a different matter.

that's all? if women were forced not to wear modesty then it is OK? answer you random person covering dude.

First of all, welcome to the forums. Just so you know, i wasn't serious at all, i was just being sarcastic. If you read this thread from the beginning, you would notice that many Muslim women members have defended their choice of wearing the hijab. They defended their choice just like you have defended yours. Then what did they get in here? Some people accused them of being brainwashed just for choosing to wear the hijab. I respect both, those who wear the hijab and those who don't. I just hate it when some people claim they are teaching us how to be civilized through doing a copy/paste for their culture, norms, and values. I respect the strong sense of human rights and equality voiced by many informed western societies but they seem to forget that other people have the right to make their own choices in life as well and that they can be free and civilized as well without having to imatate the west, without *wearing* like the west, without behaving like the west. I'm proud of those women who don't only fight injustice being done to them, but also to other women from different backgrounds and values as well.
Oh my gosh! Okay, I'm sorry for getting so defensive. I really thought that you were being serious. I definitely do not like it when people judge just because their culture is different. I have watched a documentary about this very subject of wearing the hijab and there were women that felt protected and respected and their were others that didn't feel that way. I think that as long as they are not being forced to do something that they do not want to do than that's fine. My brother-in-laws girlfriend is Muslim and she and her 4 sisters choose not to wear it. Well thanks for the welcome. Sorry again. I'm relieved to know that you are an accepting and understanding person.:)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
that's all? if women were forced not to wear modesty then it is OK?

I believe what I said was no one should be forced to dress in any certain way, it is a choice. Now, should a modest Muslim woman be forced to not wear her hijab? Only when identification and security are in question. Neither should any woman be forced to wear a hijab, habit, head scarf, or full length dress if she does not choose to do so.
answer you random person covering dude.

It was a joke...I was playing along.:D

This is what maro, Sajdah, Peace, lava, me said many times here. I thank you really for these words.

No problem. I think that it is really interesting to see people form different cultures discussing the way they think about things. I can sometimes get a little sticky because what each person has been taught or has been raised in is real and true for them. I think as long as we have open minds and try to understand one another then we will learn from each other and be better off.:)

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
No problem. I think that it is really interesting to see people form different cultures discussing the way they think about things. I can sometimes get a little sticky because what each person has been taught or has been raised in is real and true for them. I think as long as we have open minds and try to understand one another then we will learn from each other and be better off.:)

If only I could frubal you twice!

Welcome to RF.

blackout

Violet.
Whatever floats your boat.
You wanna wear a scarf over your head? :shrug:

I for one LOVE my purple hair.
Why on earth would I cover it up?

dogsgod

I remember back in the day when woman's liberation was in full swing, they were a force to be reckoned with. Where are they now? Where are the women of all religions banding together demonstrating in the streets and shaming men for covering women with tarps?

Sahar

:) Well said.
I am happy to have someone like you here, welcome to the forum. :)

linwood

I remember back in the day when woman's liberation was in full swing, they were a force to be reckoned with. Where are they now? Where are the women of all religions banding together demonstrating in the streets and shaming men for covering women with tarps?

They`re too busy working that 50-60 hour weak to have any strength to protest.

:)

Careful what you wish for.

maro

muslimah
Sadly, that's not too far away from the Abrahamic faith's concept - a woman ate the fruit and thus disobeyed God at the behest of a snake/Satan, and was responsible for ridding us of paradise, and bringing labour pain on women forever, etc etc.

A woman and a man ate the fruit...th quran doesn't make discrimination between both...and i am afraid i don't get what's up with the labour pains ? are we being punished for something that we didn't commit ? :eek:....I don't think so :no:

Be careful next time you attribue a christian concept to the ' Abrahamic Faith ' ,Odion

Sahar

What I see in the Islamic ghetto of Coburg are many covered people who while they live in Australia believe Allah is the Law, while the rest of us in Australia are Australians following Australian law. It says to me these are not Australians. Their culture directly conflicts with our culture. We have just taken 100 years to get rid of the Christians here and now we have the even more dogmatic goat herders moving in.

The breeding rate of Muslims in this environment of low mortality is leading to a population explosion. This is a threat to our culture. The Hajib is a slap in the face to Australian culture, as an expression of saying we don't care about your laws we are better than you. It also applies to the Hasidic Jews ponytails with bola hats. Such conservatism in a liberal secular democracy, is a blight on our Culture.

All are welcome to become Australians but leave the culture you have just escaped from in your home land, and dont re-establish it here, we don't want to repeat your mistakes.

Cheers

Quoted for you poor show of ignorance and deeply racists fears. You frequently use the possessive "we" as if speaking for "true" Australians. Tell me what do the Aborigines think of you?
:clap

Last edited:

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
there are cultures who use headgear like that though. i do not think there is a certain style for hijab.

I agree that there is no specific style, but any style agrees with the description in this verse is "Hijab"
The Holy Qur'an [24:31] "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss."

.lava

Veteran Member
It was not about the style, lava, but fulfilling the requirements of hijab.

OK i think i understand what you mean. those women who wear headgear like that are still Muslim women though. it is how they culture is.

edit: i do not know what happened to my last post but it is OK. what i am trying to say is it is possible some other Muslim lady from another part of world could say her headgear is the right one and it would not look like maro's avatar. therefor i find it not quite right to say that is the right way of headgear. rule is simple. women should cover themselves except for face, hands and feet. so some African Muslim apply it different then a Muslim lady from Saudi Arabia is just natural result of being in different cultures but IMO both is correct. that's all i am saying and nothing more :)

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
I' m going to go out on a limb now and assume that you haven't been following any of the recent coverage by the media. Rest assured in many countries, such as Iran, women comprise the majority of college students and dominate the higher end professions. Leading protests ranging from the Uighur protests in China, Thailand, and Iran women are the forefront of the liberal Islamic movement.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
... what i am trying to say is it is possible some other Muslim lady from another part of world could say her headgear is the right one and it would not look like maro's avatar. therefor i find it not quite right to say that is the right way of headgear. rule is simple. women should cover themselves except for face, hands and feet. so some African Muslim apply it different then a Muslim lady from Saudi Arabia is just natural result of being in different cultures but IMO both is correct. that's all i am saying and nothing more :)

Yes, we agree about the style point, for example I and my sister wear different styles of Hijab, but BOTH styles should be as it was described in Qur'an and explained in Sunnah. Which is that women should cover themselves up except for the face and the hands..Like that one:

Satellite

Those requirements don't exist in the picture which was presented by Kai... Accordingly it wasn't the right Hijab. :)