• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sure, they can ask. But no one is under any obligation to respect that. You can't kill them because they don't, and that is exactly what has been happening. Force, is not love. Force is not God, in my views of God.

Why they might choose to do that, is for their personal reasons. You, nor anyone else, has the right to kill them if they offend your religion.Murder is an offense in all religions.

I think you are saying the exact same thing this person Amanaki has been saying all along. No killing. And its a straw man response to his question "why".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sure, they can ask. But no one is under any obligation to respect that. You can't kill them because they don't, and that is exactly what has been happening. Force, is not love. Force is not God, in my views of God.

Why they might choose to do that, is for their personal reasons. You, nor anyone else, has the right to kill them if they offend your religion.Murder is an offense in all religions.
A muslim should not kill, nor do i have any wish to harm non believers or religioues people from other paths.
I have no need to mock Buddhas or Gods spoken about in other religions.
All i want is to practice in peace with all people

Tambourine

Reading more of this case, it sounds less like a case of blasphemy, and more like a case of trumped up bull**** charges with the intent to intimidate a religious minority community...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Maybe muslims should say. Please do not make drawings or caricature of our prophet. It is against our religion to dtaw muhammad.

And the answer would be: "you are free to not draw whatever you like. you are not free to tell me what i can and cannot draw".

I can not stop anyone who draw pictures like that. But i can not understand why they do it.

I cannot understand why anyone would become a muslim, but not a hair on my body would consider making laws against it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I thought you said you should be able to apply blasphemy laws to non-Muslims?
Where did i say that?
All i asked was to respect that drawing of Muhammad (pbuh) should not be made.
The question is since most people today it is a sensitive topic for muslims, non muslims still chose to draw and show it publicly.
Why?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Reading more of this case, it sounds less like a case of blasphemy, and more like a case of trumped up bull**** charges with the intent to intimidate a religious minority community...

More often its the case of one persons personal vendetta turned into mass hysteria due to one persons B.S noisemaking.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because they're not Muslims and have freedom of speech and art that they enjoy. Of all the things happening in the world today and folks become enraged over a drawing.
I know others see it as their birthgiven right to mock anyone they want, i can not stop them. But since they know that it will upset muslims because it is not right in islam to do it, they still draw it so to intentionally upset muslims. Then is it truly muslims fault?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Because they're not Muslims and have freedom of speech and art that they enjoy. Of all the things happening in the world today and folks become enraged over a drawing.

This sentiment is a tool for many people, including the fame and popularity seekers and when people focus on the ones expressing this immature sentiment of reacting irrationally it helps the people who use this sentiment for their fame and popularity.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I know others see it as their birthgiven right to mock anyone they want, i can not stop them. But since they know that it will upset muslims because it is not right in islam to do it, they still draw it so to intentionally upset muslims. Then is it truly muslims fault?
Imv those Muslims need to toughen up. Jews and Christians have had all sorts thrown at them; their Scriptures have been torn apart by folks who think they're worth nearly nothing. The Muslim world has yet to see any real Qur'an criticism or religious reform.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Imv those Muslims need to toughen up. Jews and Christians have had all sorts thrown at them; their Scriptures have been torn apart by folks who think they're worth nearly nothing. The Muslim world has yet to see any real Qur'an criticism or religious reform.
So Buring a the Quran, stommping on it, tearing it apart infront of muslims should be met by a shrugg on our shoulders? We should not react to it?

Tambourine

Where and when did that happen?

firedragon

Veteran Member

What? Sis. You think the Muslim world has not seen Quran criticism? Let me tell you that you are absolutely wrong and you should know the Muslims invented Quran criticism and its over 1300 years old.

You could be more sophisticated than that.

Also if you think that "Jews and Christians have had all sorts thrown at them; their Scriptures have been torn apart by folks who think they're worth nearly nothing" as you said and Muslims have not you are thinking from an anecdotal point of view. Surprising really.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Freedom. It's a good thing.
It's, in fact, what allows muslims to practice their religion in western, predominantly, judeo-christian countries.
Several years back I made a point of getting to know some Muslims. So I could better understand the Muslim world.

One of the things I regularly heard was how much they preferred practicing in the USA. Because here they could practice Islam the way they thought it should be practiced, not the way the government thinks it should.
Tom

firedragon

Veteran Member
Several years back I made a point of getting to know some Muslims. So I could better understand the Muslim world.

One of the things I regularly heard was how much they preferred practicing in the USA. Because here they could practice Islam the way they thought it should be practiced, not the way the government thinks it should.
Tom

Interesting and very true. But which country or countries are these particular Muslims you got to know from?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
@Amanaki @firedragon @Tambourine
I didn't mean literally torn apart. I mean torn apart by critics.

Where are Muslim Universities teaching that the Qur'an is not free from error or that it's written by many people? Where are they teaching these things? Where are they saying that Muhammad never existed and so couldn't have been given the Qur'an? Where are they teaching that there may be missing surahs? That it's just classical-era myths rehashed?

Sure, folks have a right to be angry; they haven't the right to try to stop people doing these things.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Amanaki @firedragon @Tambourine
I didn't mean literally torn apart. I mean torn apart by critics.

Where are Muslim Universities teaching that the Qur'an is not free from error or that it's written by many people? Where are they teaching these things? Where are they saying that Muhammad never existed and so couldn't have been given the Qur'an? Where are they teaching that there may be missing surahs? That it's just classical-era myths rehashed?

Sure, folks have a right to be angry; they haven't the right to try to stop people doing these things.
I have never been to university so i can not answer your question. Sorry

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You should understand why they do it. Their purpose is to increase their followers. Even this Hebdo matter everyone knows that their number of followers had gone down so this is a boost to their instagram followers and of course the business overall.

So that's why they do it.

Don't be ridiculous. Their numbers exploded for only one reason: the attacks in 2015..
Before that, nobody outside of Paris even heared about them. Their usual number of publications was around 60k. After the attack, the issue with the famous "je suis charlie" cartoon distributed 8 million copies.

Through their entire history, CH, which is a satirical publication and always has been, they've done nothing but make satire cartoons of both political as well as religious leaders.

It's the terrorist attacks that made them famous. Not their satire - which is a thing they've been doing forever already. The only thing that changed, is that al-qaida got word of it and decided to do what they usually do: engage in despicable behaviour and only drawing attention to it, where before nobody cared.

And with the subsequent publication of "je suis charlie", all hell broke lose. Dozens of churches in Egypt etc were set on fire. Houses of christians were set on fire. Christians were executed.

It's amazing how much noise the "moderate" muslim makes about a silly drawing, while keeping utterly silent of such gruesome and barbaric behaviour.