• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I do not support any form of killing someone, but blasphemy law is important since it is clear that not all people can accept the religioues view of others. Why should some people be allowed to do their best to damage a religion just because they do not like it them self?
In some muslim countries the sharia law is practiced to hard, that i agree to. But the lW is there for a reason.
So if a Muslim denies the divinity of Jesus, which Christians believe, you would accept that he should be punished for his blasphemy?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's easy to say when you've never been.
Out in the wild, as soon as you see a lion you'll briefly know the fear myriads of animals for centuries have known. Or even if youre lucky enough to see one in a distance, you'll still have anxious jittters (it's just a human thing and animal thing to do because lions are an extreme threat to us).
I have not been close to a lion, but i been 30 feet away from a Wolf in the wild. I respect the animals right to be in the forest, so i backed away very carfully.
The wolf was more curioues then angry at me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So if a Muslim denies the divinity of Jesus, which Christians believe, you would accept that he should be punished for his blasphemy?
And for the record, I would not. The plain fact is, there are many religions, and they hold different beliefs. If the believer of one religion does not believe what another believes, and says so, that is nothing more than opinion, and the "offended" other need merely accept that they don't share the same belief, and move on. Nobody has the right to demand that what they say is true, without evidence, must be tacitly accepted by everybody else.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is two different teachings, to respectfully tell what the teaching i follow says is not blasphemy. But if i was to mock Christians for saying Jesus is son of God, and to make fun of Christians that is blasphemy and should not be done. I have my belief, but i do not need to mock others belief.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have not been close to a lion, but i been 30 feet away from a Wolf in the wild. I respect the animals right to be in the forest, so i backed away very carfully.
The wolf was more curioues then angry at me.
Wolves aren't very frightening. They are curious, and generally want nothing to do with us and certainly don't hunt us.
Lions do occasionally, though not normally, go after humans. We don't stand a chance. A signle wolf we can wrestle and likely survive, albiet seriously injured. Against a lion, over powered doesn't even begin to describe it.

stvdv

Veteran Member
It's easy to say when you've never been.
Out in the wild, as soon as you see a lion you'll briefly know the fear myriads of animals for centuries have known. Or even if youre lucky enough to see one in a distance, you'll still have anxious jittters (it's just a human thing and animal thing to do because lions are an extreme threat to us).
Very true. I met quite a few, so called spiritual people, who all claimed "I have no fear for animals"
I said "you ever stood in front of a wild tiger". No he replied. Then you don't know. Just monkey mind imaginations

Once I was swimming in the sea, and suddenly 3 of those triangles came to me in a B-line
I walked out of the water, and standing on the beach my legs were trembling for 15 minutes

stvdv

Veteran Member
After a seven-year trial in Lahore, the 37-year-old defendant was convicted and ordered to be "hanged by his neck (until) his death.”
IF you think well about this, then this is not just hanging
This man knew for 7 years, every day "this can be my last day"
This was intense emotional torture of the most cruel type
Monsters who do this; they are the devils incarnate IMO

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
It is two different teachings, to respectfully tell what the teaching i follow says is not blasphemy. But if i was to mock Christians for saying Jesus is son of God, and to make fun of Christians that is blasphemy and should not be done. I have my belief, but i do not need to mock others belief.

Do you think it should be illegal for Muslims to speak badly about atheism?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you think it should be illegal for Muslims to speak badly about atheism?
No, my own words in the past has not been good about atheists, and i see my own mistake. A lot of the suffering i felt before come from my own words and negativity.

stvdv

Veteran Member
And for the record, I would not. The plain fact is, there are many religions, and they hold different beliefs. If the believer of one religion does not believe what another believes, and says so, that is nothing more than opinion, and the "offended" other need merely accept that they don't share the same belief, and move on. Nobody has the right to demand that what they say is true, without evidence, must be tacitly accepted by everybody else.
There might be 1 problem though. Especially with certain religions.
First there is a thought, after a while it transforms into a word, and before you know they act upon it
IF the deed is bad, would it not better to nip it in the bud?

Personally I think it's good to have all the things.
We need to learn our lessons, and we need to learn to control ourselves, esp. those "pretend to be religious" people

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
No, my own words in the past has not been good about atheists, and i see my own mistake. A lot of the suffering i felt before come from my own words and negativity.
“Suffering.” Look I can agree with the sentiment that people shouldn’t be going out of their way to hurt others in any way.
But if some rando committing blasphemy is enough to hurt you, then that sounds like a you problem my friend.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
“Suffering.” Look I can agree with the sentiment that people shouldn’t be going out of their way to hurt others in any way.
But if some rando committing blasphemy is enough to hurt you, then that sounds like a you problem my friend.
It was a "Me" problem because i got angry before, i still see bas a wrong action to do, but i dont get upset like i used to do.
I can believe what i do, and others can believe what they do. If someone want to hurt my belief, it is their struggle. Not mine.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It was a "Me" problem because i got angry before, i still see bas a wrong action to do, but i dont get upset like i used to do.
I can believe what i do, and others can believe what they do. If someone want to hurt my belief, it is their struggle. Not mine.
Which is why we have freedom of religion AND freedom from religion. Blasphemy laws interferes with both. So it is useless and archaic. Stifles both free speech and discussion.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not support any form of killing someone, but blasphemy law is important since it is clear that not all people can accept the religioues view of others. Why should some people be allowed to do their best to damage a religion just because they do not like it them self?
So that gives you the right to brand them as blasphemers when they are not part of the religion? How does that work? You mean you can declare war on outsiders who offend you? That does not sound like a just God. Maybe a warlord who declares war on rival tribes?

Frankly, I don't see how someone can be convicted of offending a religion they are not part of. That's just sounds like imperialism, not God. Certainly not a God of Love.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So that gives you the right to brand them as blasphemers when they are not part of the religion? How does that work? You mean you can declare war on outsiders who offend you? That does not sound like a just God. Maybe a warlord who declares war on rival tribes?

Frankly, I don't see how someone can be convicted of offending a religion they are not part of. That's just sounds like imperialism, not God. Certainly not a God of Love.
I have never declared war on any one. I have no wish to harm others.
The only thing i have said is that drawing og Muhammad (Pbuh) is seen as blasphemy from a muslim stand point. So yes if non muslims draw it like that it is Een as a wrong deed.
I can not answer for other muslims, but personallyni have no need for attacking non believers. But i will tell my view.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Alles Gut.
Many times (maybe 8 so far) you tell me "you don't read my lines well" + "read again", in a kind of way that gives me the feeling that you are "looking down on me"
Do you see yourself as more knowledgeable or something like that?

"Alles Gut"
This reply also gives me a similar feeling, and feels therefore a bit misplaced here

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Many times (maybe 8 so far) you tell me "you don't read my lines well" + "read again", in a kind of way that gives me the feeling that you are "looking down on me"
Do you see yourself as more knowledgeable or something like that?

"Alles Gut"
This reply also gives me such a feeling, and feels therefore a bit misplaced here

If you felt I am demeaning you brother, I apologise.

stvdv

Veteran Member
If you felt I am demeaning you brother, I apologise.
I appreciate your reply. I like you (at least the virtual you, that I know) and always enjoy reading your replies
So I am glad to read that's not what you meant, I keep that in mind next time I read your replies