• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the twenty first century?

stvdv

Veteran Member
I am not afraid of animals :)
I had a friend
He was not afraid of any animal
He took cobras in the wild in his hands in India (I think it was)

One day a little dog bit him hard in his foot. He was puzzled and perplexed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But do remember that a "Wild" + "hungry" Tiger will 99+% sure "use some of your body parts" to reduce his hunger, even:
a) IF you are not afraid
b) IF it is not yet dinner time of the Tiger

And please, don't try to prove me wrong on this;)
I did not say i was not afraid of being eaten :p

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I had a friend
He was not afraid of any animal
He took cobras in the wild in his hands in India (I think it was)

One day a little dog bit him hard in his foot. He was puzzled and perplexed.
Even not being afraid of the animal, respect for its boundary is important

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I was disturbed to read this news item about a man sentenced to be hung for blasphemy in Pakistan.

Christian man in Pakistan sentenced to be hanged for blaspheming Mohammed

A Pakistani man has been sentenced to die for blasphemy.

On Tuesday, Christian factory worker Asif Pervaiz was sentenced to be hanged after his supervisor accused him of defamatory text messages regarding the Muslim prophet Mohammed, reported Deutsche Welle.

In the southeast Asian nation of more than 210 million inhabitants, in which more than 95% of citizens practice Islam, communicating insulting remarks about Mohammed carries a mandatory death penalty.

After a seven-year trial in Lahore, the 37-year-old defendant was convicted and ordered to be "hanged by his neck (until) his death.”

Christian man in Pakistan sentenced to be hanged for blaspheming Mohammed

It seems incredibly damaging to Islam when these sentences are enacted. Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the 21st century?

It's really sad to hear such news, I don't know from where they got their laws, there's no verse
in the quran that says kill those who insult your prophet, if that's the right thing to do then it won't be
hard for God to mention it in the quran, those who killed the Christian are criminals.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Especially this is true for the animals that are not respecting our boundaries AND are stronger than us
Do animals have notion of boundaries like we humans do?
As far as i know human beings are not animals, even some people act like animals from time to time.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Do animals have notion of boundaries like we humans do?
Try eating (just pretending will do the trick;)) from the bowl of your dog or cat
Although some might allow you, many will let you know "You crossed a line here":p

As far as i know human beings are not animals, even some people act like animals from time to time.
Human beings have the ability to meditate, that is a big difference between humans and animals
Does not make humans "better" or "higher" than animals, all are Divine incarnations
Duality applies to the world++, not to Consciousness (or Allah as you wish);)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Try eating (just pretending will do the trick;)) from the bowl of your dog or cat
Although some might allow you, many will let you know "You crossed a line here":p

Human beings have the ability to meditate, that is a big difference between humans and animals
Does not make humans "better" or "higher" than animals, all are Divine incarnations
Duality applies to the world++, not to Consciousness (or Allah as you wish);)
Often it is the cat that take my food instead :confused: naughty cat....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am not afraid of animals :)
I am definitely afraid of lions. And tigers. Hippos. Bison and buffalo. Definitely a mamma bear around her cubs.
Why? I dont want end up lunch or meet an excruciatingly violent end. Gored by a truck with horns and my entrails spilling? You go right ahead and walk up to that buffalo. Im gonna stay very far away.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am definitely afraid of lions. And tigers. Hippos. Bison and buffalo. Definitely a mamma bear around her cubs.
Why? I dont want end up lunch or meet an excruciatingly violent end. Gored by a truck with horns and my entrails spilling? You go right ahead and walk up to that buffalo. Im gonna stay very far away.
Just because i am not afraid of animals does not mean i try to be stupid and walk up to a wild animal :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is no place for such laws in this century, from a legal perspective. I'm a firm believer of countries having secular governments, and allowing their citizens to have religious freedoms (of expression)
It occurred to me that I didn't answer the titular question.
So I'll do so by fruballing & agreeing with your post.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Is there any place for blasphemy laws in the 21st century?
NO !!!
Why ?
RF Rules give us all the answers:D:D:D

RF Rule #1: Do not critique Gurus/Master like Jesus/Muhammad, you can critique their ideas and behavior
1. Personal Comments About Members and Staff
Personal attacks and name-calling, whether direct or in the third person, are strictly prohibited on the forums. Critique each other's ideas all you want, but under no circumstances personally attack each other or the staff. Quoting a member's post in a separate/new thread without their permission to challenge or belittle them, or harassing staff members for performing moderation duties, will also be considered a personal attack.

RF Rule #3: So this shows that certain Guru images should not be allowed IF it is to get a rise out of others
3. Trolling and Bullying
Where Rule 1 covers personal attacks, Rule 3 governs other behaviors and content that can generally be described as being a jerk. Unacceptable behaviors and content include:
1) Content (whether words or images) that most people would find needlessly offensive, especially when such content is posted just to get a rise out of somebody and/or is not part of a reasoned argument.

RF Rule #8: Imposing Blasphemy Rules on other-believers can be seen as recruiting AND as converting away from their religion
8. Preaching/Proselytizing
Creating (or linking to) content intended to convert/recruit others to your religion, spirituality, sect/denomination, or lack thereof is not permitted. Similarly, attempting to convert others away from their religion, spiritual convictions, or sect/denomination will also be considered a form of preaching. Stating opinions as a definitive matter of fact (i.e., without "I believe/feel/think" language, and/or without references) may be moderated as preaching.

RF Rule #9: Imposing Blasphemy Rules on other-believers can be seen as undermining their (non)faith (similar as undermining RF mission)
9. Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission
The mission of Religious Forums is to provide a civil, informative, respectful, and welcoming environment where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare, and debate. Content members create while debating and discussing must be done in the spirit of productivity. Bashing other forums, creating unproductive content or responses to others, attempting to use this site as a platform for campaigning for or against or furthering a personal agenda, and attempting to undermine the forum mission may result in moderation.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Just because i am not afraid of animals does not mean i try to be stupid and walk up to a wild animal :)
It's easy to say when you've never been.
Out in the wild, as soon as you see a lion you'll briefly know the fear myriads of animals for centuries have known. Or even if youre lucky enough to see one in a distance, you'll still have anxious jittters (it's just a human thing and animal thing to do because lions are an extreme threat to us).