• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam: Ask your questions

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Hope no one minds me posting here and asking this. I was talking about this a while ago with someone and we couldn't agree on which way it is meant and I'd like a better understanding of it.

The Quran states that women should 'draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments'.

By not displaying their 'beauty' - is that referring to bosoms or face /body? If is does mean bosoms, what's the meaning of only displaying them to all the people stated, I mean it includes brothers, sons etc?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hope no one minds me posting here and asking this.

Of course nobody minds.

I was talking about this a while ago with someone and we couldn't agree on which way it is meant and I'd like a better understanding of it.

The Quran states that women should 'draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments'.

By not displaying their 'beauty' - is that referring to bosoms or face /body? If is does mean bosoms, what's the meaning of only displaying them to all the people stated, I mean it includes brothers, sons etc?

Here is how i know it. First, covering the face and hands are not in anyway hijab. Hijab is to cover your hair and wear a modest dress that covers your body, except for your hands and face.

The covering bosom part. Its not either cover it (when with strangers) or show it all (when with the specified people). I mean the point is, that when you are wearing something comfortable, not covering your neck, and goes down a little bit, it might show part of the chest, the upper part, the upper part of the bosom that is. So, the idea is to wear something that doesn't show any part of your body, except hands and face. Because when a part of the bosom is viewable, its technically not covered. So, like i said, when you're with your son or brother or father........ There is no problem in wearing something comfortable, that even might show a slight part, or the beginning of the bosom.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Of course nobody minds.

:)

Here is how i know it. First, covering the face and hands are not in anyway hijab. Hijab is to cover your hair and wear a modest dress that covers your body, except for your hands and face.

The covering bosom part. Its not either cover it (when with strangers) or show it all (when with the specified people). I mean the point is, that when you are wearing something comfortable, not covering your neck, and goes down a little bit, it might show part of the chest, the upper part, the upper part of the bosom that is. So, the idea is to wear something that doesn't show any part of your body, except hands and face. Because when a part of the bosom is viewable, its technically not covered. So, like i said, when you're with your son or brother or father........ There is no problem in wearing something comfortable, that even might show a slight part, or the beginning of the bosom.

Okay, that makes a little more sense. So I guess it will be the same principle when women cover their faces?

Thanks for that :)

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, that makes a little more sense. So I guess it will be the same principle when women cover their faces?

You mean that women who cover their faces would be able to wear the same kind of clothes in front of those specified (as in be more comfortable with their sons, brothers......)?

If so, yes, at least i know that the ones i know do.

Thanks for that :)

No problem :)

super.girl

in my heart
thank u it's a wondeful article

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

asad_asrar

Asad Asrar
As far as my knowledge is concerned. In islam smiling is allowed but laughing is not allowed.
Difference between smiling and laughing is that normally while smile a person remains almost in control and he or she know what he or she is doing, where as while laughing person gets out control for a moment or the thinking capability of human reduces.

Rest Allah know the best

fatima_bintu_islam

Who said laughing is not allowed, the prophet peace be upon him said that qahqaha something like qah qah qah is from shaytan, and that too much laughing kills the heart.

i.e there are restrictions on too much laughing in order to keep the muslim from looking silly or ignorant which will make them like that later.

The prophet peace be upon him , the limit of his laughing was a large smile until his last teeths would show up. So it is a good thing to follow him in such a thing , but not to make Tahrim ( non permissibility ) on laughing.

If anyone wants to say its impermissible, he/she must bring a fatwa from a correct scholar wallahu a'lam. Allah says in Quran not to make Halal Haram or the opposite.

Wallahu a'lam .

Barakallahu feekum

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Prophet Mohamed was lauging but a mild laugh. It's just about decency and good manners.

Demonic Kitten

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question...hopefully I can ask it in a way that makes sense without offending anyone (it is not my intention to offend anyone).

I have noticed while reading the threads here that whenever you mention a name that there is always something behind it (ex. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)). What is the reasoning behind this? My guess is that it is out of respect, but I don't know Arabic so I don't know what some of them are saying.

Also, when one wants to learn about Islam one should start with the Quran correct? I have read the Hadith thread and have found it very enlightening. I would like to know more about the Hadith so which English translations should I pay attention to? Same goes with the Quran as well.

What is Sunnah?

Okay that was more than one stupid question >_<

A-ManESL

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question...hopefully I can ask it in a way that makes sense without offending anyone (it is not my intention to offend anyone).

I have noticed while reading the threads here that whenever you mention a name that there is always something behind it (ex. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)). What is the reasoning behind this? My guess is that it is out of respect, but I don't know Arabic so I don't know what some of them are saying.

Also, when one wants to learn about Islam one should start with the Quran correct? I have read the Hadith thread and have found it very enlightening. I would like to know more about the Hadith so which English translations should I pay attention to? Same goes with the Quran as well.

What is Sunnah?

Okay that was more than one stupid question >_<

These arent stupid questions...Please feel free to ask anything you want :)

1. Yes, it is out of respect. PBUH stands for peace be upon him/her.
2. Yes, certainly the Quran is a storehouse of knowledge, and should be read. But it is important to read and understand it in context, it might happen the meanings of some verses might be unclear to you. Often verses have an esoteric meaning hidden behind the exoteric ones as well. You can read an online translation of the Quran here and initially you may read the collection of hadith here. (There are other collections with significant overlaps with this one). But I would also recommend reading a good book on Islam, which would definitely help you.
3. Sunnah are the actions and practices of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). There are technical distinctions in sunnah according to various schools of Islamic jurisprudence, regarding which one ought to definitely followed, and which ones may be left.

Regards

Demonic Kitten

These arent stupid questions...Please feel free to ask anything you want :)
Thank you ^_^

1. Yes, it is out of respect. PBUH stands for peace be upon him/her.
Yay! Got one right.
2. Yes, certainly the Quran is a storehouse of knowledge, and should be read. But it is important to read and understand it in context, it might happen the meanings of some verses might be unclear to you. Often verses have an esoteric meaning hidden behind the exoteric ones as well. You can read an online translation of the Quran here and initially you may read the collection of hadith here. (There are other collections with significant overlaps with this one). But I would also recommend reading a good book on Islam, which would definitely help you.
Now that I think about it I downloaded quite a few ebooks about the Islamic religion. I have 3 versions of the Quran and a collection of the Hadith from 4 different translators. (*facepalm* I forgot that I downloaded those a while back). I will have to look through what I have and go from there.

Any recommendations on a book about Islam would be great..or maybe just point me in the right direction.
3. Sunnah are the actions and practices of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). There are technical distinctions in sunnah according to various schools of Islamic jurisprudence, regarding which one ought to definitely followed, and which ones may be left.
Is this something that I would be able to read about or is it something that you would have to learn?
Thank you for answering. ^_^

A-ManESL

Any recommendations on a book about Islam would be great..or maybe just point me in the right direction.

I will strongly recommend this book. Hossein Nasr is always a pleasure to read. He is a MIT alumni and professor at GWU and this particular book is geared towards the Western audience.

Regards

Last edited:

fatima_bintu_islam

Last edited:

Demonic Kitten

Unfortunately I am on a very slow connection so videos are out of the question. >_<

I will have access to a faster internet over the week-end...maybe I can either save them or watch them then.

Thank you!

Last edited:

fatima_bintu_islam

Oh I can feel you , I had the same trouble for years.

But I wish you could watch the 5 parts of the second video when you get access to a fast internet , its great, I just watched them myself :)

Thank you!

No problem at all, feel free to ask your questions whenever you want
Best regards :)

muxi2K

How do you justify "freedom of religion" and "no obligation in religion" when there is a death penalty when a (muslim) person might want to choose another religion or abandon it altogether?

A-ManESL

How do you justify "freedom of religion" and "no obligation in religion" when there is a death penalty when a (muslim) person might want to choose another religion or abandon it altogether?

There is no such death penalty, those who advocate it are wrongly interpreting the Quran. There are at least two recorded cases of people abandoning Islam in the Prophets time and he didnt order any thing against them.

Regards