• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamic Justice: girl lashed for being raped; rapist pardoned

Fatihah

About what percentage of people who describe themselves as Muslim really are, in your opinion? (End Quote).

O.K. Do you call yourself Muslim?

(That wasn't so hard, was it? I understand that your personality does not allow you to admit error or to apologize, so I'll just take this as the closest you can get to such an admission.)

Response: Yes. I am a muslim. And to the contrary, I understand your vain desire to be right, no matter how illogical you'll claims are. I however believe that it will change someday. It's a process.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think part of what .lava and others are reacting to is the implication that Western powers should intervene in foreign countries to solve these kinds of problems. This is an absurd idea however and I don't think it was Autodidact's intention to suggest that as a solution.

Isn't this whole argument sort of ridiculous? Not a single person on this thread supports violence against women. So, we're all on the same side here. We're allies. We should be united. We shouldn't be worried about trying to blame a country or a religion, we should be worried about how to stop violence against women everywhere, starting with our own countries.

To respond to Autodidact:

I think human rights activists and progressives in Turkey, Afghanistan, and other countries already know the solution: grassroots political activism. You have to change cultures, overcome stereotypes, prejudices, and raise awareness of the problem. People in Turkey and other "Muslim" countries (obviously not everyone in these countries is Muslim) are already doing this, these battles take time because they are nonviolent political battles. Blacks in the United States didn't win rights and freedoms because a foreign power sent in special forces to wipe out the Ku Klux Klan. They won civil rights because they formed a coalition which embraced Christian and white supporters, even though the racists were predominantly Christian and white. It would have been counter-productive for atheists to argue that Christianity was a racist religion; it was better to simply say that some people are racist and many Christians are allies in the fight against racism.

It seems to me Westerners who support women's rights can help most by (1) tackling our own problems first, and (2) by listening to our allies in those countries. If there is something we can do to help -- like getting our government to put diplomatic pressure on their government -- let's let them tell us how we can help. They know their own countries best and they know what will help and what will not help.

Priorities, comrades! :)

:clap Beautiful.

kai

ragamuffin
There is no overall authority in Islam so in Bangladesh they can and do enforce their version of Sharia, the same in Saudi, The same in Iran and elsewhere. I dont see how Muslims can do anything about it because to put it bluntly no one is in charge.

These laws are antiquated and clearly Patriarchal. Only time and progress and education will change this.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I understand your vain desire to be right, no matter how illogical you'll claims are. I however believe that it will change someday. It's a process.

But Fatihah, I was right. Would you like me to prove it to you AGAIN? Twice in the same thread?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
No, there are villages here in Colorado where it doesn't happen, and cities in Yemen where it does, so the problem does not seem to be villages. The common thread is Islam. Why is it important to you to deny that?

And there are villages in India that do other atrocities, such as murdering female babies because the father wanted a son.

Obviously, village politics are not universal with each other.

Besides, I will not say it's a common thread in Islam, because Islam is not inherently political. I would be willing to accept that this is yet another problem with bringing religion into politics. The two have never gone well hand in hand.

No, the link was to a U.N. report by an Egyptian woman lawyer, and maro agreed with what she said--there are in fact honor killings in Egypt. Doesn't that bother you?

The portion that Maro quoted did include Egypt as a country where rape victims are punished. If that was not the intended meaning of the article, whoever wrote it needs to retake College English. Poor wording has caused several problems in the world, as well as several misunderstandings. I know of a treaty that was botched because somebody used poor grammar. (I forget exactly what the error was.)

I know it may seem like I'm attacking something else because of a lack of any other arguments, but that really is a serious problem. If the woman did not intend to say that rape victims are punished in Egypt, then the article should have been better worded to clarify that. Such articles and reports should never be that cryptic. So, if this article was never meant to be that cryptic, how much more so the article that you have posted, which doesn't really give enough information to make a judgment on?

I'm not denying that Egypt does have honor killings, by the way, nor am I denying that there is a real mess in the Islamic world right now.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There is no overall authority in Islam so in Bangladesh they can and do enforce their version of Sharia, the same in Saudi, The same in Iran and elsewhere. I dont see how Muslims can do anything about it because to put it bluntly no one is in charge.

These laws are antiquated and clearly Patriarchal. Only time and progress and education will change this.

You can't think of a single thing they can do? (I can, but set that aside.) O.K. then, since there's nothing that Muslims can do about this problem, I guess that non-Muslims are the only ones that can help?!?

Some things I can think of:
Write books. Speak out. Talk to their Imam. Support women. Vote for leaders who oppose these policies. Promote equal rights for Muslim women. Those are a few thoughts that occur to me.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And there are villages in India that do other atrocities, such as murdering female babies because the father wanted a son.
Yes, there's a lot of discrimination against women all over the world. It's sickening.

Besides, I will not say it's a common thread in Islam, because Islam is not inherently political. I would be willing to accept that this is yet another problem with bringing religion into politics. The two have never gone well hand in hand.
That's not my understanding. My understanding of Islam is that part of full Islam is Islamic governance and Islamic law, including Islamic courts.

The portion that Maro quoted did include Egypt as a country where rape victims are punished. If that was not the intended meaning of the article, whoever wrote it needs to retake College English. Poor wording has caused several problems in the world, as well as several misunderstandings. I know of a treaty that was botched because somebody used poor grammar. (I forget exactly what the error was.)

I know it may seem like I'm attacking something else because of a lack of any other arguments, but that really is a serious problem. If the woman did not intend to say that rape victims are punished in Egypt, then the article should have been better worded to clarify that. Such articles and reports should never be that cryptic. So, if this article was never meant to be that cryptic, how much more so the article that you have posted, which doesn't really give enough information to make a judgment on?

I'm not denying that Egypt does have honor killings, by the way, nor am I denying that there is a real mess in the Islamic world right now.

I found it pretty clear, but in any case, it's a long way from it either being wrong or maro saying it was wrong. I believe that so far not a single instance I have presented, or a single source or assertion, has been refuted or even really challenged. There is a worldwide problem with "Islamic" justice treating women with injustice. This is the case in many Muslim countries, especially those in which Islam is incorporated into the governance. I cannot think of any place that is applying sharia law in a way that does not discriminate against women--can you?

kai

ragamuffin
You can't think of a single thing they can do? (I can, but set that aside.) O.K. then, since there's nothing that Muslims can do about this problem, I guess that non-Muslims are the only ones that can help?!?

Some things I can think of:
Write books. Speak out. Talk to their Imam. Support women. Vote for leaders who oppose these policies. Promote equal rights for Muslim women. Those are a few thoughts that occur to me.

I am sure everything you suggest is being done but that has to filter through society and these societies are ruled by men its hard for women to take a stance and many don't get a vote . like i said it will all come in time . Its taken us in the west time for womens rights. It didnt happen overnight in my country. Countries like bangladesh need time too. some of these countries rural areas are literally hundreds of years behind the times social and technology wise.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You know we have Muslims in our country, right? Who vote, and have the right to have their voice heard here, about what our justice system should be? We have even had honor killings here. It's important to speak out against these violent, anti-woman attitudes, period, wherever they are found. Muslim women are just as important and valuable as non-Muslim, and deserve to be protected and advocated for.

So let's focus our efforts at home, and worry about the injustices done to women here, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Response: You can produce your alleged proof again if you like. And I'll simply debunk it again. Twice in the same thread.

Wow, you're really something. First I ask you the question. Then I ask you to answer the question. Then I prove that you failed to answer the question. Then you answer the question. Now you want me to once again prove that you failed to answer the question? Give me a break. Frankly, I doubt that anyone else is following this infantile competition, or I would ask their opinion. I can't be bothered.

In any case, as a person who calls himself Muslim, you cannot be relied on, according to you, and you have amply demonstrated as much.

I think I'll take a break from you; it's too much work for so little substance.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So let's focus our efforts at home, and worry about the injustices done to women here, Muslim and non-Muslim alike.

I'm concerned about all women (and men), not just American women. I'm also concerned about the effect of Muslim voters here in America.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Yes, there's a lot of discrimination against women all over the world. It's sickening.

Including here at home. Let's focus our efforts here, first.

That's not my understanding. My understanding of Islam is that part of full Islam is Islamic governance and Islamic law, including Islamic courts.

Early Roman Catholicism was the same way. They seem to be getting along just fine separate from politics these days.

I found it pretty clear, but in any case, it's a long way from it either being wrong or maro saying it was wrong. I believe that so far not a single instance I have presented, or a single source or assertion, has been refuted or even really challenged. There is a worldwide problem with "Islamic" justice treating women with injustice. This is the case in many Muslim countries, especially those in which Islam is incorporated into the governance. I cannot think of any place that is applying sharia law in a way that does not discriminate against women--can you?

I don't really know much about law in general. Politics was never my strong point.

Besides, even if we do fix the Sharia laws in Muslim countries; that won't change anything at first. Just like the old sexism is still prevalent in America, as is racism, sexism among Muslims will continue for centuries after Islam has no say in politics.