• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Islamists'

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm glad you can post those, DS, but I don't trust scholars and I already mentioned that Hadith are a huge problem in Islamic culture

That's why I'm struggling with my own opinions and label as a Muslim, partly because there are those verses I can't accept and partly because I don't fit the definition assigned to me as a Muslim. I hate labels; they put you in a box and that's not something I'm willing to do.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And my main theme in this discussion is that it isn't Arab culture or warped versions of Islam, but a strict adherence to what the primary and secondary texts say that develops extremism. So I don't think violence will ever divorce itself from Islam unless a basic western (foreign) culture or philosophy prevails and the violent, sexist, and racist verses annulled.

I agree, but I don't think it has to come from the almighty west though. Good grief, the most peaceful people on earth are in the Far East!

Kemble

I agree, but I don't think it has to come from the almighty west though. Good grief, the most peaceful people on earth are in the Far East!

Ha ha. Actually you will be surprised to find how many folks within remote Eastern villages will still huddle around a TV watching English language channels. So for good or ill the west's Enlightenment period ideas has had the most reach and impact universally than the Far East. (Not to mention the idea of a peaceful Eastern/Buddhist society doesn't exist in reality, see Stephen T. Asma's semi-ethnographic The Gods Drink Whiskey for a good dispelling of that and more myths about the East)

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Kemble, while I think the west could have some good ideas about how to bring peace to other societies, let's face it, most Muslim countries want nothing to do with the west and its idea of peace.

For it to be fully effective, they have to do it themselves.

I won't hold my breath either, so no worries.

Kemble

And it may have to involve a tremendous amount of back bending or altogether rejection of Islam if it will ever happen, because Islamic philosophy is so very different from democratic, liberal ideas. Welcome to the current sticky situation in the Mid East.

Dingbat

Kemble, while I think the west could have some good ideas about how to bring peace to other societies, let's face it, most Muslim countries want nothing to do with the west and its idea of peace.

I won't hold my breath either, so no worries.

That is the crux of the problem. The West is so hated, and in many ways rightfully so for manipulations in the MidEast, that Enlightenment ideas that we take for granted in the West are not likely to stick anytime soon.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is it just me, or is it weird to see non-Muslims deciding what Islam can't ever be?
To make a point, are you claiming that someone who doesn't practice the five pillars of Islam or other basic elements of Islam and limits Islam to the Shahada alone gets to define Islam?
Sorry, but people are not that ignorant of what Islam is.
My father was born in a Muslim country, I work with Arab Muslims on daily basis, and I live in a region with hundreds of millions of Muslims. I have a healthy degree of familiarity with Islam.
This isn't even about me or Falvlun claiming that is Islam is or isn't negative, all we do is point out the gap between Islam as it is and a description of Islam which is stripped of all its ideologies and characteristics and which is redefined as a post modern philosophy, equal to the modern movements that arose in the previous decades in the developed world such as feminism or relativism. The truth is that the this definition of Islam is going to be overwhelmingly rejected by Sunnis or Shiites around the world, and is going to be incompatible with the Qur'an and with the Sunnah.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm glad you can post those, DS, but I don't trust scholars and I already mentioned that Hadith are a huge problem in Islamic culture

That's why I'm struggling with my own opinions and label as a Muslim, partly because there are those verses I can't accept and partly because I don't fit the definition assigned to me as a Muslim. I hate labels; they put you in a box and that's not something I'm willing to do.

I tend to trust the majority opinion of scholars on any given field of knowledge as the one that's most likely to be correct. This is my modus operandi when I approach subjects like history, biology, chemistry, cosmology, physics, and other sciences. I don't see any reason to turn around when it comes to religion and say, "No... those scholars are most likely misrepresenting Islam," especially when there doesn't seem to be a reason that the sweeping majority of them in different periods of time would misrepresent Islam when they have professional knowledge of its historical context, its culture, and its texts (both Qur'an and hadith).

I agree that there can be exceptions when a scholar is obviously corrupt or when an interpretation is obviously agenda-laden, but some of those scholars were persecuted and sometimes even imprisoned for stating their views. I don't think it's accurate to say that most of them are/were misrepresenting the religion and/or misinterpreting its texts.

As for labels, I think that's an inevitable outcome of people wanting to appear more "righteous" or "observant" in the context of a religion that relatively emphasizes adherence to doctrine and ritual. I personally don't care what people do as long as they are decent to others and don't force anyone to follow their beliefs, but we also can't ignore the fact that those things are a huge issue for many Muslims in general.

Kemble

That is the crux of the problem. The West is so hated, and in many ways rightfully so for manipulations in the MidEast, that Enlightenment ideas that we take for granted in the West are not likely to stick anytime soon.

How about the idea that Enlightenment ideas are really at odds with Islam? Now we get into complicated territory.

Dingbat

How about the idea that Enlightenment ideas are really at odds with Islam? Now we get into complicated territory.

If you took a literalist approach to any Abrahamic faith I am certain they would all run into trouble with any Abrahamic faith.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To make a point, are you claiming that someone who doesn't practice the five pillars of Islam or other basic elements of the Islam and limits Islam to the Shahada alone gets to define Islam?
My father was born in a Muslim country, I work with Arab Muslims on daily basis, and I live in a region with hundreds of millions of Muslims. I have a healthy degree of familiarity with Islam.
This isn't even about me or Falvlun claiming that is Islam is or isn't negative, all we do is point out the gap between Islam as it is and a description of Islam which is stripped of all its ideologies and characteristics and which is redefined as a post modern philosophy, equal to the modern movements that arose in the previous decades in the developed world such as feminism or relativism. The truth is that the this definition of Islam is going to be overwhelmingly rejected by Sunnis or Shiites around the world, and is going to be incompatible with the Qur'an and with the Sunnah.

That's it. I'm starting my own religion. Everyone is invited to join.

I will admit that I'm probably not the best person to argue what Islam truly is or who is a true Muslim. I come for a multi-cultural, multi-religious background and because of that, I tend to pick and choose what I like and reject the rest. I guess some would say I'm not a Muslim then, but that's their opinion.

I'm all for a revolution to modernize Islam, and have said so in many different threads.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
That's it. I'm starting my own religion. Everyone is invited to join.

I will admit that I'm probably not the best person to argue what Islam truly is or who is a true Muslim. I come for a multi-cultural, multi-religious background and because of that, I tend to pick and choose what I like and reject the rest. I guess some would say I'm not a Muslim then, but that's their opinion.

I'm all for a revolution to modernize Islam, and have said so in many different threads.
Any religion can be reformed by its believers, sometimes its a long and painful process. According to scholars like Reza Aslan we might be witnessing this point in Islamic history, at least to some degree, where there are voices who call for reform in the face of the rise of fundamentalism and authoritarian regimes.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To make a point, are you claiming that someone who doesn't practice the five pillars of Islam or other basic elements of Islam and limits Islam to the Shahada alone gets to define Islam?

I'm saying that whoever wants to call themselves Muslims / Followers of Islam gets a say on what Islam is supposed to be, for the simple reason that it matters to them.

Those who don't want to be considered Muslims are also of course entitled to their say, but it should count as an opinion, not as a judgement. After all, it is not our path to be decided.

Fair enough?

You miss the point.

The way I see it, Muslims have a real difficult challenge ahead of them. Ssainhu, Stephen and many others are essentially betting that when all is said and done it will be possible to practice Islam in a constructive way that is also not contradictory to itself or to the Quran.

Maybe that it is possible, maybe it is not, and their destiny is to someday renounce the Quran.

What is in no way their duty is to feel bound to a religious attitude that they disapprove just because it turns out that it happens to turn to the same core beliefs at some level. People are entitled to seek harmony and sincerity of purpose, and they are most certainly entitled to do so in defiance of the opinions of supposed brothers of faith.

It is not IMO the place of "outsiders" who have no direct stake on the matter (non-Muslims) to decide to which level that is sensible or non-contradictory. That is their call to make, not ours. They have no duty to protect our conceptions of what Islam is or should be.

You have familiarity with their conceptions of Islam, which is probably fairly typical of their communities or even of most Muslims.

Fair enough. But that is not what we are talking about. Even if Stephen and Ssainhu were the only two Muslims to reject violence, that would still make their efforts no less legitimate, and give them no less of a right to consider themselves Muslims.

This isn't even about me or Falvlun claiming that is Islam is or isn't negative, all we do is point out the gap between Islam as it is and a description of Islam which is stripped of all its ideologies and characteristics and which is redefined as a post modern philosophy, equal to the modern movements that arose in the previous decades in the developed world such as feminism or relativism.

But that is the point. Why and how exactly does anyone who makes no claim to being a Muslim get to decide that Muslims can't do that - or what you perceive as such?

Do non-Muslims get to decide that Muslims aren't being traditionalist enough, fundamentalist enough, or even coherent enough to deserve being considered Muslims?

It seems to me that we do not. Muslims may decide, say, that prayer has no purpose in Islam. And while others may well point out that there is no way to concile that with the text of the Quran (I assume that to be true), it is clear still their right to do so and to ignore our preferences on the matter.

The truth is that the this definition of Islam is going to be overwhelmingly rejected by Sunnis or Shiites around the world,

That may well be true. But it matters not for this argument, which explicitly states that this is not a consideration to be made. "True Islam" is not decided by popular vote, but by personal stance.

and is going to be incompatible with the Qur'an and with the Sunnah.

Maybe it will be. But it is their right to risk that if they feel it is warranted. In any case, they are entitled to try and prove you wrong, aren't they?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For what it's worth, for quite some time, I've maintained that what we are seeing, particularly in North America and to a somewhat lesser extent in Europe, may well become a third major division within Islam. Modernist Islam, perhaps?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For what it's worth, for quite some time, I've maintained that what we are seeing, particularly in North America and to a somewhat lesser extent in Europe, may well become a third major division within Islam. Modernist Islam, perhaps?

That would be nice, one that is accepting of many walks of life and many lifestyles.

Pastadamus

It would be interesting to see what developments happen over the next 50 to 100 years.

All religions must at some point or another step into the modern world and stop fighting it. For Judaism, this happened in the 1840's to 1860's. For certain Christian denominations, this transformation is happening right now and for Islam it has not yet happened. It's going to be an enormous transformation and in particlular American or Canadian Muslims who have come in contact with secular freethought (Irshad Manji, Salman Rushdie and Wafa Sultan come to mind) and lived in an interfaith environment will play a huge role in it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
But that is the point. Why and how exactly does anyone who makes no claim to being a Muslim get to decide that Muslims can't do that - or what you perceive as such?

Do non-Muslims get to decide that Muslims aren't being traditionalist enough, fundamentalist enough, or even coherent enough to deserve being considered Muslims?

It seems to me that we do not. Muslims may decide, say, that prayer has no purpose in Islam. And while others may well point out that there is no way to concile that with the text of the Quran (I assume that to be true), it is clear still their right to do so and to ignore our preferences on the matter.
Not quite clear on what your position is. Are you saying that outsiders of a religion shouldn't voice their opinions about religions that aren't their own? If that were the case, then that would nullify about 75% of all conversations on RF.

Or are you simply saying that those within a religion don't have to listen to those on the outside?

The latter seems to go without saying. Of course they don't have to listen to us, but I'm not too comfortable with the former. Why shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions and call things like we see it?

That may well be true. But it matters not for this argument, which explicitly states that this is not a consideration to be made. "True Islam" is not decided by popular vote, but by personal stance.
You ask the question above whether non-Muslims get to decide whether a particular Muslim is traditionalist enough, etc, to be considered a Muslim. But does anyone really have that right? I mean, isn't it just as bad for Muslims to go around telling each other that so-and-so isn't a real Muslim?

I don't think "true Islam*" is even decided by personal stance. It shouldn't really be an absolute concept at all. Of course, different "denominations" consider their interpretations the correct ones, but not one of them has the right to consider theirs the "true" version, and all the other ones false (and yes, I am well-aware that they all basically do this, and not just Muslims.)

*And just my addendum: I hold that all religions have some sort of fundamental belief that makes that religion a distinct belief-system entity. For Christians, I think it is the belief that Jesus provided the means of atonement and reconciliation between man and God. For Muslims, perhaps it's something like the belief that there is only one God and Muhammad was his prophet. I think that core belief is the only thing really necessary for the belief system to be considered part of that particular religion. That's as far as I'd take the "true <insert religion here>" concept.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not quite clear on what your position is. Are you saying that outsiders of a religion shouldn't voice their opinions about religions that aren't their own? If that were the case, then that would nullify about 75% of all conversations on RF.

No, but it should be done with intent on keeping them eanings of the words accurate, that's pretty self explanatory I think. The term used is obviously vague, and in being vague, isn't accurate. Any discussions beyond or justifying that usage of the term are inherentlty disingenuous or merely false.
That is unless you're willing to state absolutely that suach & such is the teachings of said religion etc.

Or are you simply saying that those within a religion don't have to listen to those on the outside?

Listen to who? The endless nonsense and criticism of people who don't understand said religion anyway? What's the point? Should people sort through paragraphs and paragraphs of nonsense to find one valid point/opinion?

The latter seems to go without saying. Of course they don't have to listen to us, but I'm not too comfortable with the former. Why shouldn't we be allowed to voice our opinions and call things like we see it?
You are allowed to voice criticism, but if it's not valid then it loses it's credibility.

You ask the question above whether non-Muslims get to decide whether a particular Muslim is traditionalist enough, etc, to be considered a Muslim. But does anyone really have that right? I mean, isn't it just as bad for Muslims to go around telling each other that so-and-so isn't a real Muslim?

Who doesn't do that? Read threads on RF, you don't think people are telling other people regardless of the religion what to believe?

*And just my addendum: I hold that all religions have some sort of fundamental belief that makes that religion a distinct belief-system entity. For Christians, I think it is the belief that Jesus provided the means of atonement and reconciliation between man and God. For Muslims, perhaps it's something like the belief that there is only one God and Muhammad was his prophet. I think that core belief is the only thing really necessary for the belief system to be considered part of that particular religion. That's as far as I'd take the "true <insert religion here>" concept.

Sure, but people disagree on the core message of each religion is/

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

We definitely should. But not to the extent of deciding what their orthodoxy or true calling is supposed to be.

Not quite, precisely because it falls upon them to decide what their criteria are.

I don't think "true Islam*" is even decided by personal stance. It shouldn't really be an absolute concept at all. Of course, different "denominations" consider their interpretations the correct ones, but not one of them has the right to consider theirs the "true" version, and all the other ones false (and yes, I am well-aware that they all basically do this, and not just Muslims.)

I just don't see how the present and future of the Muslim community can even be discussed without presenting the competing visions of what true Islam is supposed to be, though. It is too structured a religion to allow those things to float about undefined and undiscussed.

*And just my addendum: I hold that all religions have some sort of fundamental belief that makes that religion a distinct belief-system entity. For Christians, I think it is the belief that Jesus provided the means of atonement and reconciliation between man and God. For Muslims, perhaps it's something like the belief that there is only one God and Muhammad was his prophet.

If so, then the matter is probably very solvable. If it also includes the Quran, perhaps it can't be. I don't know.

I think that core belief is the only thing really necessary for the belief system to be considered part of that particular religion. That's as far as I'd take the "true <insert religion here>" concept.

I don't think there is any reason why a religion can't ultimately aim to destroy its own foundations. We talk of that in Buddhism, half-jokingly.