• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Islamists'

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No, Islamism isn't limited to any particular interpretation of sunnah.

What in the hell is Islamism?

Where are all these terms coming from?

They're misguided, idiotic Muslims. There. Does that satisfy everyone?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What in the hell is Islamism?

Where are all these terms coming from?

They're misguided, idiotic Muslims. There. Does that satisfy everyone?
Sorry, sweet lady, you don't get a free pass from me on this one. :sorry1:

Kemble

Works for me. ;)

I understand that we aren't diplomats or politicians here, and I'm very for world peace and liberalization, but ignorance or denials like this will never help solve the problem. The fact of the matter is Islam isn't purely non-violent and peaceful, and it isn't a necessarily totalitarianism trying to take over the world (at least any longer), and we have to understand that it is somewhere in between.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Besides being heavily divorced from historical and scriptural evidence, I still get your view. I don't think it is correct.

May you say why? I get that the article probably explains that, but how can people who embrace destructive violence not be misguided? Even if they may claim support from some tradition or scripture, really?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I understand that we aren't diplomats or politicians here, and I'm very for world peace and liberalization, but ignorance or denials like this will never help solve the problem. The fact of the matter is Islam isn't purely non-violent and peaceful, and it isn't a necessarily totalitarianism trying to take over the world (at least any longer), and we have to understand that it is somewhere in between.

I don't think there is such a clear fact. Islam, in my view, is whatever Muslims make of it. Encouraging it to be constructive is not a denial.

Shuddhasattva

Because the scripture and tradition really does support them explicitly. I think this is hard for idealists to accept; that some religion, or cultural tradition, might actually be inimical to basic human rights.

Shuddhasattva

*edit*

Secondly it is how Muslims understand it to be.

In both cases, set on a collision course with the rest of civilization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kemble

I don't think there is such a clear fact. Islam, in my view, is whatever Muslims make of it. Encouraging it to be constructive is not a denial.

Well, Islam is the entire historical context plus the Islamic scriptures and biographies, not exactly a willy-nilly relativism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because the scripture and tradition really does support them explicitly. I think this is hard for idealists to accept; that some religion, or cultural tradition, might actually be inimical to basic human rights.

I may accept it, no problem. But of course, that in no way means that they must feel bound to what clearly must be left behind.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Islam is firstly what Mohammed made it, for Mohammed is the only God, and Allah is his prophet.

Secondly it is how Muslims understand it to be.

In both cases, set on a collision course with the rest of civilization.

Mohammed lived a long time ago, in a world that no longer exists.

Much like anyone else, Muslims must decide how best to honor their traditions, and that unavoidably means also which parts should be disregarded or reevaluated. That is not only legitimate, but also necessary to keep their doctrine worthy and healthy.

Kemble

I may accept it, no problem. But of course, that in no way means that they must feel bound to what clearly must be left behind.

I agree, but the problem with that is: if you start striking out verses that sanction violent Jihad and sanction racism/sectarianism against the other monotheistic traditions, destroy the biographies of the Prophet and his earliest followers who did it along with verses mentioning Allah's promotion of it, you null and void the divinity of the Islamic text.

Shuddhasattva

Mohammed lived a long time ago, in a world that no longer exists.

A world that shaped this one, and continues to shape the world of tomorrow.

Much like anyone else, Muslims must decide how best to honor their traditions, and that unavoidably means also which parts should be disregarded or reevaluated. That is not only legitimate, but also necessary to keep their doctrine worthy and healthy.

What you say is sensible, but profoundly un-Islamic. Islam has been the most successful religion in preserving its core doctrines/dogmas and rejecting critical analysis, self-analyzed or otherwise.

Islam should be changed, but to change it the necessary extent will also destroy its essential identity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, Islam is the entire historical context plus the Islamic scriptures and biographies, not exactly a willy-nilly relativism.

Taking you literally, doesn't that mean that Islam may only be meaningfully defined in function of said historical context? One of the consequences being that they are fully entitled to embrace peaceful and enlightened attitudes, regardless of how well-supported more violent takes might turn out to be?

Shuddhasattva

Let's get to the heart of this.

What is Islam, as a collection of memes? How does it operate in this 'historical context'?

Like most religions, it is installed in conquered peoples as the framework for controlling their public and private mind.

First and foremost it was initiated to establish and perpetuate an order, a status quo, a way of the world; and it is institutions that act in this manner which keep the old world of Mohammed and every other atavist alive even on the ash-heap of history, continuing to inflame the world with their smoldering ruin.