• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Islamists'

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Islam is Surrender. Jihad is Struggle.

Revolutionizing Islam from within would be the Great Struggle, but would it end in Surrender?

Thanks. I knew the meaning of the words but failed to think of them at the time.

As for your question: it eventually would end in some way, so yes. Perhaps not in something that we would call Islam now, but so what?

For all anyone really knows, God exists and wants believers to be bold and strong in faith enough to openly challenge the bare letter of scripture when that is necessary to show actual moral and religious virtue. Maybe that is the Muslims' ultimate destiny.

F0uad

Algeria didn't call them Islamist but rather terrorist so should we call Christian or Secular Terrorist Christianists? Or Secularists or something bizarre?

I am an Islamist and i think the word is often miss-used and defined wrongly by the western people it simply means that you hold the view that Islam should guide social and political as well as personal life and nothing more.

F0uad

Islam is Surrender. Jihad is Struggle.

Revolutionizing Islam from within would be the Great Struggle, but would it end in Surrender?

Define the revise..

Islam has been revised over and over in the past by great scholars and individuals. If you mean revise in religious texts or practices that are Islamic then you will never get it if you mean in evolving and making progress that is always welcome.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Drink" is a metaphor... drink the metaphor up... come on, I know you can.

If all the very many scriptures in the Quran about how an unbeliever will be made to suffer hell are just metaphor then the Quran can not possibly be for the average uneducated person who knows nothing about "metaphors".

Please explain how an uneducated and below average intelligence guy can hear these very many scriptures about the unbeliever's plight and not think violence? Violence equals violence metaphor or no metaphor. Peace equals peace. How are you making violence to equal peace?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If all the very many scriptures in the Quran about how an unbeliever will be made to suffer hell are just metaphor then the Quran can not possibly be for the average uneducated person who knows nothing about "metaphors".

Maybe it isn't.

Please explain how an uneducated and below average intelligence guy can hear these very many scriptures about the unbeliever's plight and not think violence?

By being well guided by wise religious mentors, for one.

Violence equals violence metaphor or no metaphor. Peace equals peace. How are you making violence to equal peace?

By learning how foolish it is to give literal meanings of scripture too much importance, perhaps.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Define the revise..

Islam has been revised over and over in the past by great scholars and individuals. If you mean revise in religious texts or practices that are Islamic then you will never get it if you mean in evolving and making progress that is always welcome.

Is it welcome?

I still hear Muslims bickering about whether women can travel more than 48 miles without a male guardian. I'm dead serious.

If that's the case, I can never go see my mother or my siblings without my husband being there? A woman needs a break, dude!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it welcome?

I still hear Muslims bickering about whether women can travel more than 48 miles without a male guardian. I'm dead serious.

If that's the case, I can never go see my mother or my siblings without my husband being there? A woman needs a break, dude!

This is a real good point. It seems to me, what little I know of it, the Quran is about rules and regulations which are definitely NOT metaphor. It is clear the Quran threatens the reader with torture if the reader won't believe it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To threaten is not peaceable. To torture is not peaceable. I'm talking about the words used, not the meaning behind the words which if you wish to be only metaphor knock yourself out.

The writer of the doctrine adored is not peaceable.
The power that will inflict the metaphor is not peaceable.
The average Joe might ask himself "what is being said here?" It sounds to me that the violent way is the way to go. The holy prophet is violent. The god is violent. The words are violent. What should I be?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a real good point. It seems to me, what little I know of it, the Quran is about rules and regulations which are definitely NOT metaphor. It is clear the Quran threatens the reader with torture if the reader won't believe it.

Just so we're clear, this particular rule is from Hadith, not the Qur'an. :)

gnostic

The Lost One
stephenw said:
I hear those who attacked the compund in Algeria this week described as 'Islamists' on the radio and in the news.

To my mind 'islamism' constitutes the antithesis of islam. What do you think?

The last 60 years (not just the last 15 years), people who called themselves Islamists, have given bad image to Islam, not just religiously, but socially, culturally, politically, tactically and strategically.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What's the diff? Aren't they the same importance?

Not at all. Others will no doubt explain why better than me, but I am fairly certain that

1) The Quran was written, according to doctrine, but God himself by way of Mohammed, much unlike the Hadiths.

2) The validity of Hadiths is a perenial discussion topic among Muslims, with statements that specific Hadiths are of dubious origin or validity not at all uncommon. There may be a relation to specific sects (Shia or Sunni).

3) A strong Quranist movement has developed and supports emphasizing the Quran itself and giving less attention to all Hadiths.

Truth be told, I would appreciate some information about the origins and current standing of the Hadiths.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not at all. Others will no doubt explain why better than me, but I am fairly certain that

1) The Quran was written, according to doctrine, but God himself by way of Mohammed, much unlike the Hadiths.

2) The validity of Hadiths is a perenial discussion topic among Muslims, with statements that specific Hadiths are of dubious origin or validity not at all uncommon. There may be a relation to specific sects (Shia or Sunni).

3) A strong Quranist movement has developed and supports emphasizing the Quran itself and giving less attention to all Hadiths.

Truth be told, I would appreciate some information about the origins and current standing of the Hadiths.

Oh, yeah that's right. I think it depends on the Islamic denomination.
Yes, some Muslims should explain the importance here, I think.

Musty

I hear those who attacked the compund in Algeria this week described as 'Islamists' on the radio and in the news.

To my mind 'islamism' constitutes the antithesis of islam. What do you think?

How Islam is practiced reflects the culture in which it's practiced. That there are conflicting versions of it is to be expected.

It's also to be expected that people will favor one version over another depending on what their position that are arguing for.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the diff? Aren't they the same importance?

No, although you will find Muslims who believe they are. I don't.

Good job, Luis. You did a great job explaining.

Oh, yeah that's right. I think it depends on the Islamic denomination.
Yes, some Muslims should explain the importance here, I think.

Muslims believe the Qur'an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad, over time, through Angel Jibril. Muhammad was illiterate, so every revelation he received over the years was memorized by him, said aloud and transcribed. Scribes then put the Qur'an in order and that's the book we have today. If you pick up a Qur'an anywhere in the world, it will be the same in Arabic. Translations vary, of course, but the Arabic, down to the markings over the vowels, will be the same.

Hadith and Sunnah are different.

Sunnah is comprised of actions the Prophet did; how he behaved, how he ate, manners, etc., basically anything that's visible.

Hadith are the written accounts of both what the Prophet DID and what he SAID. Simple, right? Here's the kicker: Hadith were not put into written form until a couple hundred years after his death. There is a science to the study of Hadith, called "isnad", that studies the lineage of a Hadith. If the Hadith is traceable with accuracy, and the most respected Hadith is called "sahih". There are a few other classifications, but for the sake of simplicity, "sahih" is what we will refer to. The Prophet's companions (known as the "Sahabah") were the closest to him outside of his wives. These are who we refer to for anything that the Prophet said or did.

Things get murky for "Qur'anists" vs. everyone else with some Qur'anic verses that says this:

"Say (O Muhammad): ‘if you (truly) love Allah, follow me! Allah will then love you and forgive your sins.’ And Allah is All Forgiving, All Merciful."} (Sura Al Imraan ayah #31) note: This ayah makes it very clear that if anyone claims to love Allah (swt) they have to follow the sunnah and only then will Allah (swt) love them and forgive them. Many people today say we love Allah and they talk against the sunnah and the scholars have said that anyone who does this is a liar and does not love Allah (swt) or they would follow the beloved prophet of Allah (SAW), as it is an order od Allah (swt) to do so.
"O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger, and those of you who are in authority. If you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger if you believe in Allaah and the Last Day. This is better and more suitable for final determination." (Sura #4 ayah #59)

"Obey Allaah and His Messenger, and do not dispute (with each other), lest you fail and your strength depart; and be patient – surely, Allaah is with those who are patient." (Sura #8 ayah #46)

"And be not as those who divided and differed among themselves after the clear proofs had come to them." (Sura #3 ayah #105)

Allah (swt) refers to the succesful as those who say "We hear and we obey." And such are the successful. And whosoever obeys Allaah (SWT) and His Messenger (SAW), fears Allah, and revers Him -–such are the successful.} (Sura #24 ayat #51-52)

Here the word "hadith" and "sunnah" come into question; it's complicated, but those who follow the Qur'an only believe that these two terms are referring to Allah's verses and not to anything revealed after the Prophet's death.

There is a very interesting thread in the Islam DIR that describes some differences between Qur'an-only rulings and those of Hadith. The premise is that any Hadith that contradicts or changes the meaning of the Qur'an in any way needs to be disregarded (and there are many that do contradict the Qur'an, in fact). All Muslims will agree with that, but those who follow Hadith will argue that most Hadith are valid and they further explain the Qur'an rather than contradict it. They believe the Prophet was afforded liberties to use himself as an example to explain what Allah meant; for example, praying. The Qur'an prescribes prayer (3, actually), but doesn't go into describing HOW to pray. The Prophet demonstrated the prayer, varying it slightly at times to prevent rigidity. Qur'anists believe that everything you need to know about Islam is in the Qur'an, as Allah says the Qur'an is a complete book, never to be added to or followed with any other books.

We could get into the four schools of thought as well, but I think my brain would explode.