• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Islamists'

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you come up with an estimate of Sadith importance among Muslims, or is it far to complicated for a simple number?

It's way complicated. There are some people who accept some Hadith and not all, some accept almost all of them, and some... none of them. Some also seem to implement Hadith more than the Qur'an!

Shia Muslims have another outlook on Hadith entirely, and even within the Sunni community (that's the group that follows the Sunnah the most religiously), there is a variance. Some people actually don't accept Hadith but are too intimidated to admit it, so that really skews the numbers.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It's way complicated. There are some people who accept some Hadith and not all, some accept almost all of them, and some... none of them. Some also seem to implement Hadith more than the Qur'an!

Shia Muslims have another outlook on Hadith entirely, and even within the Sunni community (that's the group that follows the Sunnah the most religiously), there is a variance. Some people actually don't accept Hadith but are too intimidated to admit it, so that really skews the numbers.

[edit] O.k. thanx.

Last edited:

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I hear those who attacked the compund in Algeria this week described as 'Islamists' on the radio and in the news.

To my mind 'islamism' constitutes the antithesis of islam. What do you think?

Yes, the American media should stop calling them "Islamic terrorists" and simply call them "terrorists." That is, of course, unless they're willing to call people such as Timothy McVeigh "Christian terrorists."

And I am very, very disappointed to hear NPR repeatedly use the phrase as well.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Yes, the American media should stop calling them "Islamic terrorists" and simply call them "terrorists." That is, of course, unless they're willing to call people such as Timothy McVeigh "Christian terrorists."

And I am very, very disappointed to hear NPR repeatedly use the phrase as well.

Why?
Why not?

They are terrorists espousing an Islamist cause.

Shuddhasattva

Anyone whose "terrorism" (I hate this word, it's so excessively politicized and imprecise, all manner of men may fall under this dismal mantle) is directly motivated by religious views deserves them to share mention; if Christians are terrorizing due to their beliefs (say blowing up abortion clinics) it should be called what it is: Christian terrorism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Anyone whose "terrorism" (I hate this word, it's so excessively politicized and imprecise, all manner of men may fall under this dismal mantle) is directly motivated by religious views deserves them to share mention; if Christians are terrorizing due to their beliefs (say blowing up abortion clinics) it should be called what it is: Christian terrorism.

You know, that is a very good point.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

What a good point. Imagine a Newsflash which read Christianist-terrorists attack (whatever). With a follow-on about the difficulties with christianism around the world. That might stop some so-called 'christian' activists dead in their tracks and get them thinking.

That's what's searched for here, (I hope). Anything that could help senior Muslim Ministers to guide all away from (perceived) religiously connected crimes and injustices, however small or large. That would help in Britain too. But....... so very very difficult (for them) to even suggest that a word in the Koran is not appropriate.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh no! I like a good fight but.....I'm getting too old for this. The Koran like the Bible is perceived to have no inappropriate words as they are both considered gifts from The God. I have seen and have published many words about how appropriate words (I believe) found in the Bible are being misinterpreted. Oldbadger, people do not CARE. It is not fair to be saying some words in the Koran are not appropriate when many words in the Bible are not either. But are the words the problem? No, intent and commentaries are the problem.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I agree with this 100%

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

This I can agree with. :yes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I have no problem with that.

Looncall

Perhaps if the terrorism stopped you would not hear the phrase again.

Perhaps, but I doubt it since there are important islamic notions, such as inequality of women and involvement of religion in government, that are at odds with important western values. Democracy also seems at odds with islamic attitudes.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Perhaps, but I doubt it since there are important islamic notions, such as inequality of women and involvement of religion in government, that are at odds with important western values. Democracy also seems at odds with islamic attitudes.
#

These are not Islamic notions - quite the opposite.