• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's not all bad.

LogDog

Self-delusion can be helpful for individuals whose lives are a “living hell”. That's why, like cockroaches, religion thrives in areas of poverty.

Some may object to this assertion. Please do so in the space provided below.

Popeyesays

Self-delusion can be helpful for individuals whose lives are a “living hell”. That's why, like cockroaches, religion thrives in areas of poverty.

:slap: :banghead3 :biglaugh: :thud:

and other expressions amazement at logdog's opacity.

Regards,
Scott

ayani

logdog... i see very poor men and women both thrive in and struggle desperately with faith. the questions they are looking to answer generally involve suffering, meaning, and an afterlife. religious faith is rejected, courted, embraced, and tackled by people from every socio-economic spectrum. you know that.

Jeremiah

Maybe not self-delusion but hope?

Popeyesays

I think that once you pry your ego into the message box, LD (which seems to require a pile driver) there probably isn't any room left for a response by anyone. So we use our own boxes.

Regards,
Scott

Hope

Princesinha

The only reason your life is not a living hell right now is because of the grace of God. :rolleyes:

God would actually be doing you a favor if He allowed you to go through a living hell. So be careful of what you say.

Jeremiah

I think that once you pry your ego into the message box, LD (which seems to require a pile driver) there probably isn't any room left for a response by anyone. So we use our own boxes.

Regards,
Scott

You do not think people generally look to God for help in times of desperation?

I think people look to God for strength all the time and even more when times are hard.

Jeremiah

I don't disagree at all.

Regards,

Scott

Do you think hardships can make a believer out of someone?

--------
But this was never the case with my family. We have always been very poor but no matter how hard things got my parents never turned to God. Whenever times are hard for me I remember my mom and dad standing on their own without the aid of God.

So I guess I would have to disagree with LogDog I think people find strength in themselves not God. I feel if a person says "God lend me the strength" they are really pulling from their own courage and this courage just happens to be faith in God.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
The only reason your life is not a living hell right now is because of the grace of God. :rolleyes:

God would actually be doing you a favor if He allowed you to go through a living hell. So be careful of what you say.

That sounds like a threat. It would not be at all surprising if it were.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
Perhaps, but poverty is not the direct reason.
There has been an identified correlation between being a religious conservative and level of education though. The less educated you are, the more likely you are to be pulled into a conservative form of religion. Money is a factor in determining how much education one receives, from schooling, college, and computer/internet access.

BUT, I have seen cockroaches thrive in rich areas as well as poor. And while a promise of eternity in heaven will help ease a painful existence to some, it can easily do much more harm by neutralizing motivation to better oneself.

Once again, your observations are very poor, poorly researched, and contain a weak hypothesis, and obviously exist for nothing more pushing buttons (as you do not bother to back anything up), rather than a genuine debate.

Runt

This is probably the most overly simplistic explanation of religions' benevolent qualities I've seen yet.

Hope

Princesinha
That sounds like a threat. It would not be at all surprising if it were.

It's not a threat. I just find it appalling that someone who apparently is living a relatively easy life could have the nerve to suppose his good fortune is all his own doing. That's an insult to all those who are suffering, and an insult to God.

Popeyesays

Wealth is a thing of this physical world, but all the wealth there is came from the hands of God. All the power that is comes from God. All the justice there is comes from God.

Without the Creation to give us an existence we would not exist at all.

Therefore all things, including wealth, are provided for us by God.

You know, I keep trying to convince God that I am finished with spiritual tests of relative poverty and it is time for him to test me with WEALTH.

I can't seem to convince Him, though.

Regards,
Scott

LogDog

It's not a threat. I just find it appalling that someone who apparently is living a relatively easy life could have the nerve to suppose his good fortune is all his own doing. That's an insult to all those who are suffering, and an insult to God.

Suffering believers. Prosperous atheists. Oh, the irony. Maybe your Cosmic Zombie lover has a soft spot for us heretics?

LogDog

You know, I keep trying to convince God that I am finished with spiritual tests of relative poverty and it is time for him to test me with WEALTH.

Maybe it's time to stop praying for your god to give you wealth and start working to make it happen for yourself.

I'm glad you thoroughly researched the correlation between religion and social/economic backgrounds. I can always rely on your scholarly postings in hopes of finding my way out of this living hell of being a man of faith. When you don't post something, I cry myself to sleep, haunted by thoughts such as "How am I ever going to learn that this religion I follow causes me to be violent, stupid, and downright harmful to society, without LogDog's insightful postings? Will I ever get out? Oh Science, please help me in this, in my hour of most need..."

In all seriousness though, LogDog, I have never seen a larger ego. Congrats and frubals!

~matthew.william~

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Self-delusion can also be helpful for people who are facing those very difficult end-of-term examinations. Deceiving yourself into the idea that you'll get a good grade can be most encouraging and satisfying .

I would never object to this assertion, as I myself have faced those end-of-term examinations.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Suffering believers. Prosperous atheists. Oh, the irony. Maybe your Cosmic Zombie lover has a soft spot for us heretics?

Hmm....kind and patient theists, annoying, trollish and immature atheists. Oh, the freaking irony :rolleyes: