• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Died For Us?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Are you saying that Jesus didn't really exist?

Suit yourself.

As I said in a previous post, those teachings and stories came from somewhere. It's simply easier to attribute them to a historical person named Jesus than to speculate otherwise.
Jesus existed. What we know of Him is Biblically based. You suit yourself by attributing any attribute to Him you think is fitting. It is like saying Sherlock Holmes is your favorite rugby player even though there is nothing in the chronicles of Sherlock Holmes that suggests he played rugby.

Dunemeister

Why do you use the term "us", which is presumptive for anyone not of the Christian faith. At least just use the expression "He does live for me".

He lives for you, too. Whether his living for you is effective for you in any spiritual or eschatalogical sense depends on your faith in him. That, at least, is my understanding of Christian theology, about which of course I stand to be corrected.

logician

He lives for you, too. Whether his living for you is effective for you in any spiritual or eschatalogical sense depends on your faith in him. That, at least, is my understanding of Christian theology, about which of course I stand to be corrected.

Again this makes your religion a "my way or the highway religion". I reject the notion that a supposed Jesus died for my sins. If your religion is right for you, fine, but you cannot project it on the rest of "us".

Dunemeister

Again this makes your religion a "my way or the highway religion". I reject the notion that a supposed Jesus died for my sins. If your religion is right for you, fine, but you cannot project it on the rest of "us".

I don't know what you mean by "project." I'm simply explaining the theology. You can accept or reject whatever you like as you please. Either way, it's risky business.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Romans 5:6

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly

5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us

:highfive:

He allowed Bush to exist?

Ha!

Gotta fulfill all prophecy:

'The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of men.' Dan 4:17

It's not about religion. It is the logic concerning your entire state of being. And there is a free gift given to us by God that allows us to have what the power's that be don't want you to have.

The free gift is true. And the eventual day of judgment is true. Whether you take what is rightfully yours is your decision, but the day is coming where you will be cut bait, or fish. The good thing is that the Lord will wait for you and if you ask Him He will never let you down, because He will live in you.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Jesus existed. What we know of Him is Biblically based. You suit yourself by attributing any attribute to Him you think is fitting. It is like saying Sherlock Holmes is your favorite rugby player even though there is nothing in the chronicles of Sherlock Holmes that suggests he played rugby.
What I attribute to Jesus is based on what is in the synoptic gospels. Sure, I've filled some things in here and there, but no more so than the standard Christian view. The only difference is that your version has been codified via tradition into doctrine.

We all pick and choose what we lift up and ignore in scripture. All of us (unless we reject it completely). But some of us are more upfront about it.

logician

I don't know what you mean by "project." I'm simply explaining the theology. You can accept or reject whatever you like as you please. Either way, it's risky business.

Simple, you posted "he lives for you too", you are projecting your religion onto me. I don't believe Jesus ever existed, and certainly don't believe he lived "for me". Again, religions that make a claim that their god represents all people, and furthermore should be believed by all people, are "my way or the highway" religions.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. - Bertrand Russell

"And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers."

MEMNOCK

Spiritual Tour Guide
Well, i know he died for our sins, and i have not read the bible.

Good, your better off not reading it. Let me give to you in a nut shell. The concept of Jesus is just the misunderstood godhead that exists in all of us. It was meant to be symbolic to teach us about universal conscienceness(God).

Good, your better off not reading it. Let me give to you in a nut shell. The concept of Jesus is just the misunderstood godhead that exists in all of us. It was meant to be symbolic to teach us about universal conscienceness(God).

Hey Memnock,

You cannot even see the kingdom of God unless you are born again. God is not theology, that's the doctrines of man concerning His Word. And the true God, and eternal life is Jesus Christ, and if you believe God's Word He will show you how to live in God's unlimited grace. It's fascinating to me that reading the book on Calculus does not teach everyone immediately how to perform it, but in a year of study you can come close to teaching the class if you are diligent in your studies.

Dunemeister

Simple, you posted "he lives for you too", you are projecting your religion onto me. I don't believe Jesus ever existed, and certainly don't believe he lived "for me". Again, religions that make a claim that their god represents all people, and furthermore should be believed by all people, are "my way or the highway" religions.

By saying there's no god or that Jesus didn't exist -- objective claims to truth that have huge implications for my ethics and praxis -- are you not projecting your apostasy on me? You say there's no god. That's about as "my way or the highway" as you can get, given that the claim subverts about 99% of the world's population's beliefs. But I suppose you have some argument that it's only the Christian "projections" that are truly wrong. Projections from atheists are just hunky-dory, right?