• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus in the Qur'an and the Bible

Fatihah

O rly?

From Mark 14:

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

References to the divinity of Jesus abound throughout the Gospels, especially the John Gospel.

Response: Yes, but Jesus never claims divinity out of his own mouth. In fact, in Matthew 15:9, Jesus says, "But in vain they do worship me, teaching (for) doctrines the commandments of men."

kai

ragamuffin
Response: Yes, but Jesus never claims divinity out of his own mouth. In fact, in Matthew 15:9, Jesus says, "But in vain they do worship me, teaching (for) doctrines the commandments of men."

we dont have anything ,nothing, zilch from jesus's own mouth, he never wrote anything down ,no one says he wrote anything down, your all chasing the wind here. its all anectodal. When will people stop arguing over such things like i said before not one of you can prove anything its all a matter of faith.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
we dont have anything ,nothing, zilch from jesus's own mouth, he never wrote anything down ,no one says he wrote anything down, your all chasing the wind here. its all anectodal. When will people stop arguing over such things like i said before not one of you can prove anything its all a matter of faith.
Oh, kai, kai, kai... you know very well that Muslims have all the answers. Please - try to be a good little Dhimmi and pay attention to our spiritual superiors.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Well we know Jesus never said certain things like exclaiming to be God and the son of God because he being a messenger and prophet of Allah had no right to say those things. It would contradict who Allah is and he was not sent to do and attribute what christian's attribute to him.
I'd suggest you have a read through of the Bible again.. :D
You'd think if that was the case, when they said "son of God", he'd go "WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? ARE YOU MAD, MAN?" But he didn't.

First off, you have to decide what son of God means. Do you take it literally (as you as a Muslim probably will), meaning he was an offspring of God, or do you take it metaphorical (as I do) for meaning he was a righteous man who was following as God's servant like a son follows their father's trade?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Response: Yes, but Jesus never says from his own mouth that he is God or worship him or claims divinity. In fact, in Matthew 15: 9 he says, "But in vain they do worship me, teaching (for) doctrines the commandments of men".
Hehe. Ummm, Fatihah, you do understand the context that this is given in, correct?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Response: Yes, but Jesus never says from his own mouth that he is God or worship him or claims divinity. In fact, in Matthew 15: 9 he says, "But in vain they do worship me, teaching (for) doctrines the commandments of men".
Matthew 15:9 is from Isaiah 29:13.
If you actually read the chapter in context:

"Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
8" 'These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men.
'"

(Matthew 15. Here, Matthew 15:6-9)

This is a prophechy Isaiah (Isaiah 29) fulfilled according to Jesus - not Jesus saying "They worship me in vain!", but "Isaiah was right, he said you would worship God in vain, but their faith is only made up rules".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This is a prophechy Isaiah (Isaiah 29) fulfilled according to Jesus - not Jesus saying "They worship me in vain!", but "Isaiah was right, he said you would worship God in vain, but their faith is only made up rules".
Perhaps we both managed to read this incorrectly, both at the same time. Stranger things have happened. In context though, the passage is pretty clear.

Fatihah

Response: Prove what?

I'd suggest you have a read through of the Bible again.. :D
You'd think if that was the case, when they said "son of God", he'd go "WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? ARE YOU MAD, MAN?" But he didn't.

First off, you have to decide what son of God means. Do you take it literally (as you as a Muslim probably will), meaning he was an offspring of God, or do you take it metaphorical (as I do) for meaning he was a righteous man who was following as God's servant like a son follows their father's trade?
Firstly the title "Son of God" ill befits the majesty of Allah literally and metaphorically. And it is also not what I believe but what the christians believe the meaning is. Also its not that he didn't respond saying what are you talking about but was it documented. The bible was man made put together by a group of men in 325 ad and canonized as official and what is now what every christian takes as authentic. Who knows what Jesus actually said. But I agree that this phrase "Son of God" should be viewed from a biblical perspective in its usage not as an offspring but as a righteous person. And I have read through the bible many times and do not see thebeliefs christians come up with.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Firstly the title "Son of God" ill befits the majesty of Allah literally and metaphorically.
Why does it ill befit the majesty of "Allah" metaphorically?

And it is also not what I believe but what the christians believe the meaning is.
I agree, it is a bit strange, but they're not hurting anyone with it.

Also its not that he didn't respond saying what are you talking about but was it documented. The bible was man made put together by a group of men in 325 ad and canonized as official and what is now what every christian takes as authentic. Who knows what Jesus actually said. But I agree that this phrase "Son of God" should be viewed from a biblical perspective in its usage not as an offspring but as a righteous person. And I have read through the bible many times and do not see thebeliefs christians come up with.
So basically this translates to: "I don't mind the way you view it".

See the beliefs Christians come up with, but I don't believe it. I see it as only scratching the surface.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Response: How is it not? Jesus says to worship him would be vain.
No he doesn't?

He says that the rabbis would be worshipping God in vain, because they don't follow what God has taught and they follow teachings of men instead. :) This was often done by the way that they interpreted Biblical verses.