• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan Peterson on Sex

Shaul

Premium Member
Ah, Freud. Did he provide peer reviewed scientific evidence that the female is "chaos" ?
I don't know. As one of the founders of modern psychology I don't even know what peer review standards existed in his time. Of course, the term that the female is "chaos" per Dr. Jordan is based on its usage in religious myths not as a psychological term. Dr. Jordan didn't call females "chaos" of himself. He just noted that religions did so.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't know. As one of the founders of modern psychology I don't even know what peer review standards existed in his time. Of course, the term that the female is "chaos" per Dr. Jordan is based on its usage in religious myths not as a psychological term. Dr. Jordan didn't call females "chaos" of himself. He just noted that religions did so.
Modern psychology has largely, widely, and mostly debunked and discredited Frued.

Sargonski

Modern psychology has largely, widely, and mostly debunked and discredited Frued.

Could have fooled me ... last time I checked the Freudian's were winning over the Rogerians .. still think they are using the DSMR5 are they not ... the book that Psychiatrists use to perscribe drugs...

Shadow Wolf

but surely you need help with something ... "Real Help vs Self Help " :)
You have absolutely no idea what I was replying to, do you?

Could have fooled me ... last time I checked the Freudian's were winning over the Rogerians .. still think they are using the DSMR5 are they not ... the book that Psychiatrists use to perscribe drugs...
The DSM 5 (Diagnostic amd Statistical Manual), as its actually called, is not based on Frued. Modern clinicians operating in evidemce based practices don't utilize Frued. Amd its not prescribing drugs, it's a guideline for diagnosing mental illness. The PDR (Physicians Desk Referenc) as that one is called, is used by physicians as reference guide for drugs (but it's been made obsolete).

Sargonski

You have absolutely no idea what I was replying to, do you?

The DSM 5 (Diagnostic amd Statistical Manual), as its actually called, is not based on Frued. Modern clinicians operating in evidemce based practices don't utilize Frued. Amd its not prescribing drugs, it's a guideline for diagnosing mental illness. The PDR (Physicians Desk Referenc) as that one is called, is used by physicians as reference guide for drugs (but it's been made obsolete).
No to the first question :) har har

Yup .. DSM 5 is about perscribing Drugs ... the fact that it is "Evidence Based" does not change the fact that this is based on the Freudian school of thought ... labeling some patent ... putting them into a pre=ordained schema .. on the basis of answers to questions.

Your claim of "Evidenced Based" is kind of silly .. demonstrating not much knowledge .. perhaps did a quick google search..

Shadow Wolf

Yup .. DSM 5 is about perscribing Drugs ...
No, it's not. It's mental illnesses.
the fact that it is "Evidence Based" does not change the fact that this is based on the Freudian school of thought ... labeling some patent ... putting them into a pre=ordained schema .. on the basis of answers to questions.
It's not Fruedian and it's hard to watch how hard you're failing at pretending.
Your claim of "Evidenced Based" is kind of silly .. demonstrating not much knowledge .. perhaps did a quick google search..
My degree isbin psych and I've worked for an evidenced based practice. I've also looked over some various editions of both the DSM and PDR.

Sargonski

No, it's not. It's mental illnesses.

It's not Fruedian and it's hard to watch how hard you're failing at pretending.

My degree isbin psych and I've worked for an evidenced based practice. I've also looked over some various editions of both the DSM and PDR.

Wouldn't be the first fellow with degree in Psychology to not know the difference between Rogerian and Freudian Schools of thought. ... and don't expect you will be the last.. Your claim that Freudian methodology is not incorporated into modern practice is simply false. No one said the DSM was not about diagnosis of mental illness and from there a drug is proscribed ..

and Freudian is Evidence Based .. so your pretending that this somehow excludes Freudian methodology .. speaks of not knowing as does not understanding tht Diagnosis of mental illness is linked to a drug perscription ... the Purview of the Psychiatrist .. who has not taken a single psychology class...

Look Friend .. all you have put forward is either false or naked claim .. While some of Freud's claims have surely been debunked .. the claim that this methodology is not still a big part of the current system is false.

Shadow Wolf

No one said the DSM was not about diagnosis of mental illness and from there a drug is proscribed ..
Just stop. You clearly have not one idea what you are talking about. And from there a drug is prescribed? Not always. And you HAVE BEEN saying the DSM is about meds.
still think they are using the DSMR5 are they not ... the book that Psychiatrists use to perscribe drugs...
DSM 5 is about perscribing Drugs
As for you obsession with Frued that isn't shared academically or clinically.
Many of Freud’s methods, techniques, and conclusions have been put into question, even to the point where some of his theories have even become viewed as damaging—and even dangerous—to certain segments of the population, such as his views on homosexuality and women.

The trouble with Freud is that, while his ideas appear intriguing and even appeal to our common sense, there’s very little scientific evidence to back them up. Modern psychology has produced very little to support many of his claims in the decades since their initial presentation.

Sargonski

Just stop. You clearly have not one idea what you are talking about. And from there a drug is prescribed? Not always. And you HAVE BEEN saying the DSM is about meds.

What a joke .. never said it was always prescribed .. and of course the DSM is about Meds .. after a diagnosis a med is often perscribed it is part of the process of what you called Real vs Self Therapy. A silly pile of nit picking nonsense .. in any case pretending this ability confers expertise .. similar to a typo or grammar Nazi .. thinking they have a command of the English Language.

While you have a degree in pseudo science -- lest we pretend you actually have accumen in "Science" such that you know the first squaddle about Evidentiary methodology .. I have a real science degree ..and been in research for 3 decades .. You know .. all that nasty statistical stuff that everyone hates .. but if you are doing research using the "Phenomenological approach" at some point you have to do... Plus I have taken the requisite Psychology... gaining a clear understanding from an Excellend Prof on what the DSM is all about .. and the difference between the Freudian and Rogerian approach to Therapy something you clearly didn't get in your degree .. .. the Freudian approach therapy a pathway to medication via the DSM .. which "diagnoses" the problem .. wasn't that your term .. like you can diagnose .. Obsessive Compulsive .. using the phenomenological approach .. such that one can perscribe a drug ...

Oh .. Chemistry .. Biochemistry .. microbiology are my friends .. and a minor in math but that kind of just comes with the territory. Do you know what a "Specifically Locatable Phenomenon" is ? Should have run across this term at least once ... whilst learning to diagnose a medical condition .. for which a drug can be proscribed.

Tell me how "Obsessive compulsive disorder" is or isn't a specifically locatable Phenomenon .. and how this affects the drug we are going to proscribe .. and how this relates to our central question about "Therapy"

Shadow Wolf

What a joke .. never said it was always prescribed .. and of course the DSM is about Meds .. after a diagnosis a med is often perscribed it is part of the process of what you called Real vs Self Therapy. A silly pile of nit picking nonsense .. in any case pretending this ability confers expertise .. similar to a typo or grammar Nazi .. thinking they have a command of the English Language.

While you have a degree in pseudo science -- lest we pretend you actually have accumen in "Science" such that you know the first squaddle about Evidentiary methodology .. I have a real science degree ..and been in research for 3 decades .. You know .. all that nasty statistical stuff that everyone hates .. but if you are doing research using the "Phenomenological approach" at some point you have to do... Plus I have taken the requisite Psychology... gaining a clear understanding from an Excellend Prof on what the DSM is all about .. and the difference between the Freudian and Rogerian approach to Therapy something you clearly didn't get in your degree .. .. the Freudian approach therapy a pathway to medication via the DSM .. which "diagnoses" the problem .. wasn't that your term .. like you can diagnose .. Obsessive Compulsive .. using the phenomenological approach .. such that one can perscribe a drug ...

Oh .. Chemistry .. Biochemistry .. microbiology are my friends .. and a minor in math but that kind of just comes with the territory. Do you know what a "Specifically Locatable Phenomenon" is ? Should have run across this term at least once ... whilst learning to diagnose a medical condition .. for which a drug can be proscribed.

Tell me how "Obsessive compulsive disorder" is or isn't a specifically locatable Phenomenon .. and how this affects the drug we are going to proscribe .. and how this relates to our central question about "Therapy"
You can't even get the DSM right and you actually expect me to take you seriously despite confusing the DSM and PDR?
Do you know what gets prescribed (you really need to stop the consistent errors) for OCD is amd what the typical treatment plan entails?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

and how this relates to our central question about "Therapy"
Do you even know what CBT, DBT and CCT are?
You also failed to mention is this a child or adult. Will the CANS or ANSA be used? GAD 7? PHQ 9? Throw some real clinical stuff at me instead of your cream filling level of pseudo intellectual rubbish.

Firenze

Premium Member
And yet that doesn't reflect society at large.
I think the move from the intellectual shackles of religion towards the inclusivity of spiritualism is a nice step forward. And I see junk science being embraced more by the religious than anyone else. And that makes perfect sense for people weaned as children on the 'junk science' of talking snakes, moons stopping their motion, resurrections, seas parting, men lounging in whales..... Those that embrace such nonsense shouldn't be surprised when voodoo practitioners embrace it as well - or when Christians are drawn to QAnon conspiracies of Nancy Pelosi eating babies in the Capitol basement...... :cool:

Whateverist

Well, I'll let you be the judge based on the words of the man himself:

I think such videos make it clear why some of his views are not remotely shared by reputable psychology organizations.

Edit: Actually, I think "masculine" and "feminine" are more appropriate here than "men" and "women," since the former are the exact terms he uses. Either way, though, I think his argument is a simplification that is simply not supported by rigorous evidence.

I find it hard to take seriously anyone who speaks like he does. He sounds like a drug addled used car salesman in debt to a loan shark. You aren’t invited to consider what he says you are brow beaten and berated with a finger wag or two.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Heaven forbid we scrap the whole gender identity gong show and get back to reality. But, you folks have already opened Pandora's box, so there really is no going back from here.
Well, "the whole gender identity gong show" is a reality for some people. And a serious one, at that.
I'm not into denying reality, are you?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No to the first question :) har har

Yup .. DSM 5 is about perscribing Drugs ... the fact that it is "Evidence Based" does not change the fact that this is based on the Freudian school of thought ... labeling some patent ... putting them into a pre=ordained schema .. on the basis of answers to questions.

No, the DSM provides a set of guidelines for diagnosing mental disorder.

And no, it's not based on the Freudian school of thought. And it has changed drastically since first created.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, "the whole gender identity gong show" is a reality for some people. And a serious one, at that.
I get that. In fact, it's almost as if some take it way, way, way too seriously. If gender really is a social construct, what on Earth is the big deal? Gender, as we know it now, brilliantly reduces gender roles to the status of cardboard cutouts that can be added or replaced on a whim.

I'm not into denying reality, are you?
I think these poor people deserve better than this ludicrous affirmation of confusion.