• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's see if we can define 'Islamophobia'.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Well, if you have made up your mind that even academic books are simply wrong because you don't like what they say, then it's absolutely useless to have a conversation about it.

Cheers.

Come on,it was a made up word in the first place,nobody has an “irrational fear” of Islam,it’s obvious it’s Islam doesn’t stand up to scrutiny and it’s purveyors have no answer other than trying to change the meaning to cover all bases to protect it.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
No doubt there are aspects of Islamic belief, history and culture which a reasonable person might find offensive. As there are aspects of all beliefs, histories and culture which are certain to offend. But to look at any complex phenomenon and only see the negative; that’s a sickness in the eye of the beholder.

Can’t wait to see the positive’s.

stevecanuck

For the past decade, the national conversation on terrorism has largely focused on Islamic extremist acts, however, law enforcement groups have made it clear that Muslim extremists perpetrate a minute percentage of the ideologically based terrorist attacks which are perpetrated in the United States. Since November 9, 2001, only about 9 American Muslims per year have taken part in terrorist plots in the United States, in total, 20 incidents resulted in about 50 deaths. A 2012 study showed that in about the same time period right-wing extremists were responsible for about 337 attacks per year, in total, they killed more than 5 times the number of people killed by Muslims in the United States.
Terrorism_in_the_United_States - Wikipedia

All Islamist attacks in the US (or anywhere for that matter) are perpetrated for and about Islam. That's my point.

These other attacks of which you speak (the term "right wing extremists" is nothing other than political hackery) are in aid of what exactly? Please give me details to work with.

stevecanuck

Maybe you do not live in the US, and are more aware of European politics.
Since 9 / 11 (2001), you would be right in thinking that the majority of terrorist acts
in Europe are Islamist related.

I split my time between Canada and Australia.

You blame Islam and the Qur'an .. I don't. Why is it, that before 9 / 11, there were more
nationalist and far-right inspired acts of terrorism than Islamist?

Terrorism_in_Europe - Wikipedia

Whataboutism is simply not a defense of bad behavior. Each case should be looked at independently.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Treat yourself to a collection of Rumi's poetry. Here's a sample picked out at random;

Be certain
in the religion of Love
there are no
believers or unbelievers.
Love embraces all.

I prefer Imran Quais,his is a story right out of the Arabian nights,if I remember correctly there was a flying horse in that.

stevecanuck

Treat yourself to a collection of Rumi's poetry. Here's a sample picked out at random;

Be certain
in the religion of Love
there are no
believers or unbelievers.
Love embraces all.

How many hundreds of verses that refer specifically to unbelievers would you need to see to change that opinion?

stevecanuck

Okay, whatever floats your boat. The point is, the Islamic world has made huge contributions to poetry, mathematics, astronomy etc. So there are certainly positives.

Not quite. Individual who are Muslim have made those contributions, which are completely independent of the religion they practice - just like virtually all contributions made by others of various religions.

firedragon

Veteran Member
it’s Islam doesn’t stand up to scrutiny and it’s purveyors have no answer other than trying to change the meaning to cover all bases to protect it.
That's a broad claim. Tell me. What kind of scholarly analysis have you done about Islam and what is this scrutiny you have espoused?

I can see that you could cut and paste from an "Islamaphobia spreading website". or some unscholarly source or some hatred spewing generalizations you have never studied. It's obvious.

But I would like to see how far you had gone in the endeavor.

RestlessSoul

But not because of Islam,Omar Khayyam for example would still be a mathematician.

Thought Omar Khayyam was a poet? Even more impressive if he was also a mathematician. These people were products of Islamic culture, just like Leonardo Da Vinci and Isaac Newton were products, at least in part, of Christian culture (and Spinosa and Einstein were products of Jewish culture).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Good,you agree it was made up
It's cute how you built that strawman. Very.

as you will see,it’s meaning will be changed by my government to prevent any criticism at all.
Because you have never in your life read any valid material on it, you don't have a clue what you are speaking about. Anyway your handwaving shows your hatred mate. No point going on about words.

RestlessSoul

Not quite. Individual who are Muslim have made those contributions, which are completely independent of the religion they practice - just like virtually all contributions made by others of various religions.

I disagree. You can't compartmentalise people and culture like that. See my answer above in post #254

firedragon

Veteran Member
Thought Omar Khayyam was a poet? Even more impressive if he was also a mathematician. These people were products of Islamic culture, just like Leonardo Da Vinci and Isaac Newton were products, at least in part, of Christian culture (and Spinosa and Einstein were products of Jewish culture).
Umar Khayyam was a poet, as well as being a mathematician and a world renown philosopher. He was also a well known astronomer.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
That's a broad claim. Tell me. What kind of scholarly analysis have you done about Islam and what is this scrutiny you have espoused?

My own,I was always encouraged to question everything.
I can see that you could cut and paste from an "Islamaphobia spreading website". or some unscholarly source or some hatred spewing generalizations you have never studied. It's obvious.

No need,it’s really easy to use my own,I have no hatred,I do dislike the ideology though.
But I would like to see how far you had gone in the endeavor.

I used to enjoy the hadiths which were like very old stories but the have no place in the modern world.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It's cute how you built that strawman. Very.

Because you have never in your life read any valid material on it, you don't have a clue what you are speaking about. Anyway your handwaving shows your hatred mate. No point going on about words.

The Quran,yes I have but I came to a conclusion that there were actually two,the surahs of Mecca and the ones from Yathrib/Medina.