• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Losing my atheism (my new spiritual journey)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rarely, in the real world, will you find the atheist being as intolerably odious and aggressive as they are on religious forums. It is only on religious forums that you we encounter the aggressive anti-theist who are condescending, sanctimonious and vicious in their attitudes and writings, to, usually unsuspecting, Christians.
Have you considered that the ones you encounter that are gung ho on bashing Christians are actual former Christians? You can have people just simply don't believe in God and don't give religion much of a thought, and then you have those who left Christianity and now self-identify as atheists. The former doesn't have much of a motive to go after religion, the latter does. Many of them feel betrayed by the religion, abused by it, lied to, and denied so much of their lives because of it, and in their pursuit to find themselves now on the outside of it, do so by actively rejecting what formerly held such sway and control over them.

I've seen this countless times in forums, where all someone needs to do is say they are a Christian and they are dogpiled, regardless if they are extremely liberal or extremely fundamentalist. It's about them as people and their own history they behave this way. They are largely trying to not be religious anymore, and by exercising power over others this way it gives them the sense of self-empowerment. Sadly, in the long-term it really isn't that self-empowering to be hurtful to others. It's just another form of religious fundamentalism.

However, not all of the atheists on these forums are WUMS and agitators though, but those who are not are far and few between.
Think about it in terms like this. Excluding the wonderful diversity of this site, which frankly is rare, in other forums those who participate have more motivation to post like this. It's kind of like why would you go and post on a site for motorcycling if you have no interest in it? But what if you have been injuring on one, and lost many friends due to cycling. You may choose to participate to speak of the dangers of cycling and why those who believe it is safe are wrong at put themselves at risk. For right or wrong in your thoughts, you have a motive to be there. But are you representative of those worldwide who don't like cycling? No, most just don't care, and they don't participate on forums.

It is probably down to the small man syndrome that many suffer with.
If you wish to use that example, it would be anger at those who forcibly castrated them: religion. So now, that "syndrome" is actually something that others did to them, not something from birth. Maybe, just maybe then, those in the religions they hate should take a look at what they do and take some responsibility for why others are so angry at them. Is that a good thought to consider? What is it that these types of religions are doing that make people anti-theist? That would be a very healthy discussion to have, I would think. But it can't be their fault only. It can't be to say they "love sin", or they're "angry at God", or something that absolves the religion itself of any blame. Would you be interested in such an open and candid discussion with them? It might help you to see things from the other side this way. Everyone should practice seeing from the other's perspective. Don't you agree?

I'll leave it with these thoughts and hear what you think of them.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, aren't you taking this too seriously? The OP'er only wanted to have some fun. Let's just be happy for her that she didn't really have a real problem in faith.

Yeah, it wasn't funny or well done of a joke, but the thought and the safe conclusion; i.e. there was not problem really, is what counts.

Last edited:

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists
Have you considered that the ones you encounter that are gung ho on bashing Christians are actual former Christians? You can have people just simply don't believe in God and don't give religion much of a thought, and then you have those who left Christianity and now self-identify as atheists. The former doesn't have much of a motive to go after religion, the latter does. Many of them feel betrayed by the religion, abused by it, lied to, and denied so much of their lives because of it, and in their pursuit to find themselves now on the outside of it, do so by actively rejecting what formerly held such sway and control over them.

I've seen this countless times in forums, where all someone needs to do is say they are a Christian and they are dogpiled, regardless if they are extremely liberal or extremely fundamentalist. It's about them as people and their own history they behave this way. They are largely trying to not be religious anymore, and by exercising power over others this way it gives them the sense of self-empowerment. Sadly, in the long-term it really isn't that self-empowering to be hurtful to others. It's just another form of religious fundamentalism.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is the failed Christian that has the nastiest of mouths, and delivers the most unpleasant and horrendous rhetoric, to anyone remotely religious. They were incapable of living the moralistic lifestyle needed to reach true conversion, as a lamb of Christs flock, so they berate and lambaste christianity in there feeble attempts to get others to leave by the same door. It makes it easier to reconcile their failure and come to terms with it. They even set up blog sites where they twist and bare false witness, about Christianity, in the most unpleasant and obnoxious of ways. I could name the culprit, but, this character reports me every time I expose him as a charlitan. A very bitter failed Christian.

Real atheists are tame in comparison to these embittered narcissistic psychopaths. One of my best, and most dearest of friends is an atheist, who has been so for forever. He just does not believe in anything, or want to, which is fine. If you were to meet him you would think he is a devout Christian, or, at the very least, a really nice and amicable person. That seems to be the case for most of the born and bred atheists that I know. But the most extraordinary thing is that I never, ever, fall out with them over religion. Indeed, it is rarely a topic of our conversations.

Yes, I agree with you, whole heartedly, and unreservedly, it is those, who, I believe, have failed themselves, who use the most odious diatribe.

Think about it in terms like this. Excluding the wonderful diversity of this site, which frankly is rare, in other forums those who participate have more motivation to post like this. It's kind of like why would you go and post on a site for motorcycling if you have no interest in it? But what if you have been injuring on one, and lost many friends due to cycling. You may choose to participate to speak of the dangers of cycling and why those who believe it is safe are wrong at put themselves at risk. For right or wrong in your thoughts, you have a motive to be there. But are you representative of those worldwide who don't like cycling? No, most just don't care, and they don't participate on forums.

Again, I cannot help but to agree with you, it is hard not to when confronted with truth, however, motorcycling is a physical activity in which physical injury is inevitable, potentially caused by other motorcyclists. It is also conducted in the realms of reality for everyone to see and be effected by. Christianity is no more, no less, then a lifestyle choice, based on personal revelation, obtained from a supernatural source, where only the recipient is exposed to it. It is without physical substance. If you fail to reach the point of conversion, then the only one you can blame is yourself, and your choices, unlike a motorcyclist, who has a multiplicity of sources to blame, including, of course, himself. Christians believe, very much so, in the metaphysical, whereas motorcyclist believe, and thrive, in the physical, where injury is a real, possibility, as a direct result of natural laws. I was never, ever, able to become a fully fledged Mormon, despite my arduous attempts to, so I left it. I left it without a morsel of bitterness or regret, and I never bad mouthed it, or the things that I disagreed with it. For many people it is an ideal religion to follow. The only fault, for my demise, must be attributed to me for staying as long as I did. I failed as a result of my choices, as a motorcyclist fails because of their choices, that is, he choose not to slow down when he should have. The fundamental difference is that a motorcyclist can be injured through the choices of other motorists, making their own choices insignificant, Christians, essentually, only have themselves to blame. Only the individual can receive the converting influence and testimony of the Holy Ghost. The choice is simple, Yes or No.

If you wish to use that example, it would be anger at those who forcibly castrated them: religion. So now, that "syndrome" is actually something that others did to them, not something from birth. Maybe, just maybe then, those in the religions they hate should take a look at what they do and take some responsibility for why others are so angry at them. Is that a good thought to consider?

It would be in any other circumstance but it wouldn't work with christianity. Christianity is a lifestyle choice, accepted, without coercion, by the individual. I expect nobody to follow in my footsteps and believe what I believe. If I get it wrong then it is only me who is to blame. I made the choice. If you are ever converted by the Holy Ghost, not man, then if you get it wrong it will be you who is held accountable. It was your choice. I have never met anybody, who has received the testimony of the Holy Ghost, who has then gone back on it. Their are times that my burden becomes difficult and I sometime moan at what I have received, as to those that much is given, much is expected, however, I soon repent and realise that once you have been given the truth there is no going back. The truth is a universal constant.

What is it that these types of religions are doing that make people anti-theist? That would be a very healthy discussion to have, I would think. But it can't be their fault only. It can't be to say they "love sin", or they're "angry at God", or something that absolves the religion itself of any blame. Would you be interested in such an open and candid discussion with them? It might help you to see things from the other side this way. Everyone should practice seeing from the other's perspective. Don't you agree?

There are something like 4,300 religious denominations in the world today. In my opinion, though most of them have a portion of the truth, none of them have the authority to act in the name of God. Not one of them. They are all denominations based on the teachings and interpretations of mankind, who are carnal and imperfect beings prone to making mistakes. So, having said that, take your pick as to what they are doing wrong. Probably everything that you can think of or imagine. Religion is personal to the individual, not the congregation. I needs no congregation for me to be a converted Christian. All it takes is for me to follow the Teachings of Jesus Christ to the best of my ability, and even then nothing is certain until judgement day.

Many of my most rewarding debates have been with exceptional intellectual atheists whose style of debate is, quite frankly, awesome. I am not going to name names, but there are atheist posters on this forum for which I have the greatest respect, despite the differences in our beliefs. Just because we disagree should not mean that we cannot discuss it without drawing swords. To disagree is fine, to be disagreeable is not.

I'll leave it with these thoughts and hear what you think of them.

Does my response surprise you?

Last edited:

Haley

I know that this might sound surprising to whom knows my worldview, but I am seriously reconsidering my atheism (and naturalism).

I have been thinking a lot recently about the Universe and the place we occupy in it. And I asked myself the question: is that really all so pointless? Do we really evolve, live, die and that's it? Isn't maybe possible that humanity occupies a special place in the great scheme of things?

If we collect all the arguments that hint at the possibility of God, we cannot really see one that sets the issue. But all of them could give us some cumulative pieces of evidence all pointing to a possible trascendent reality. This is also the process we use to provide evidence in science.

For instance, the amazing effectivity of mathematics to describe the Universe is something I could not really explain as a naturalist. How is that possible that mathematics applies so perfectly to the fabric of reality if there is not a mind behind all this?

I also considered the fine tuning argument as one of the strongest ones in support of a non natural origin of conscious beings. The chances of life are so negligible that it seems really a stretch to believe that consciousness can arise out of unconscious processes. We should expect a Universe just filled with dead things and not one with life. Especially not one with introspective life, or life that goes beyond the immediate survival instincts: i.e life that can give the Universe itself a meaning.

But the key moment was this morning. And it was not a mere rational analysis. I just had a look out of my window. When I saw the mountains, the lake, the majesty and the beauty surrounding me, I experienced a moment in which I felt one with everything. All the long term pointlessness of my naturalistic view vanished. That was stunning and something I never felt before. I don't know if that can be considered a mystic experience, but it felt like one.

At the moment, I am a bit confused and still thinking about it. My Christian friend thinks that God is claiming me back, and, for the first time since a long time, I cannot definetely rule that out.

Ciao

- viole

Congratulations my friend! You have been chosen!! I think your Christian friend is right. God is really claiming you back! Your questions about the universe and its purpose were so strikingly similar to a verse in the Quran that for a moment I felt as if I was reading the Quran!

“Those who remember God standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth say: "Our Lord! You have not created all this without a purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire” (Quran, chapter 3: verse 191).

Yes! This verse is speaking about people like YOU who get to know their Creator and the very purpose of their existence using their logic and intellect. Remember though we cannot do this on our own without the guidance and mercy of our Lord. That’s why I think you were chosen to have this feeling! So hold tight to it and continue with your research. Don’t let anyone belittle the special experience you have had. I think the following lecture will answer a lot of your questions. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Serenity7855

Congratulations my friend! You have been chosen!! I think your Christian friend is right. God is really claiming you back! Your questions about the universe and its purpose were so strikingly similar to a verse in the Quran that for a moment I felt as if I was reading the Quran!

“Those who remember God standing, sitting, and lying down on their sides, and think deeply about the creation of the heavens and the earth say: "Our Lord! You have not created all this without a purpose, glory to You! (Exalted be You above all that they associate with You as partners). Give us salvation from the torment of the Fire” (Quran, chapter 3: verse 191).

Yes! This verse is speaking about people like YOU who get to know their Creator and the very purpose of their existence using their logic and intellect. Remember though we cannot do this on our own without the guidance and mercy of our Lord. That’s why I think you were chosen to have this feeling! So hold tight to it and continue with your research. Don’t let anyone belittle the special experience you have had. I think the following lecture will answer a lot of your questions. Best of luck!

Do not waste your good intentions He was playing April fools, though I see nothing humorous in it.

Haley

Do not waste your good intentions He was playing April fools, though I see nothing humorous in it.

Thanks! I could sense he might be playing around but I did not know he was playing April Fools. Whatever his intentions were, we have to be sincere because we know faith is not a prank but a serious business. You never know. This prank might guide him to a path, which he has hated all his life :)

Serenity7855

Thanks! I could sense he might be playing around but I did not know he was playing April Fools. Whatever his intentions were, we have to be sincere because we know faith is not a prank but a serious business. You never know. This prank might guide him to a path, which he has hated all his life :)

You may be entirely right, or he may just be a blithering idiot. I will withold my judgement, you know what they say about judging others.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Now here is the breaking point between spiritual people and atheists....an atheist can't seem to accept that people are having these experiences.
Wrong. Atheists accept that people have these experiences, we just doubt the attribution of them to supernatural forces, and think that they are flimsy evidence of such.

And you can say all you want that it's not real and you can't prove it and there's no math or science to qualify it or prove a God exists. I think it eats you guys from the inside out that while you can't prove it, you also can't deny that billions of people have spiritual experiences.
We don't deny it. We just think that there are more reasonable explanations.

You don't need to prove it.
The moment you start saying this is the moment that any potential for actual discussion or understanding completely breaks down. If you're going to just believe whatever you want, with no need to demonstrate the veracity of your belief, then your belief is indistinguishable from any other unproven, ill-formed or even outright false beliefs. The people who burn witches "don't need to prove" that they believe witches exist and should be burnt, and if you cannot distinguish the veracity of your belief any better than they can, then you need to seriously readjust your viewpoint. The Universe is not a free-for-all where everyone can be right all the time. We all want our beliefs to be true, and to try and pretend that you don't care if your beliefs are correct and others are wrong is nothing but dishonesty. You believe what you believe because you see it as a reasonable approximation of reality. If your approximation of reality is no better than a delusion, then your beliefs are worthless.

All you need to do is acknowledge it. It wouldn't matter if they were praying to my toaster on the counter behind me. The experiences are happening. And if you just sat down with a few of them and let them talk to you they could really open your eyes to the benefit of faith and praying and going to church and reaching out to have a relationship with someone higher than yourself.
Do you have any idea how patronizing this is? Do you honestly believe that atheists have never been told, at length, about the supposed benefits of religious belief? That atheists, living in a world still absolutely dominated by religion and religions organizations, were somehow acutely blind to the constant barrage of arguments and justifications of faith-based positions?

I think the real issue is that you've never actually spoken to an atheist, and realized why it is, from their perspective, that religions is not justified in spite of its supposed merits. If you cannot acknowledge that, then the problem is clearly you - not atheists.

Atheism and Religion are one in the same.
Not even close. This is more evidence that you have never made an effort to actually understand atheists or the concept of atheism.

You gain focus and comfort and understanding from a concept of how you view life and the meaning of all things. They are exactly the same. We both worship a way of thinking...of believing we are the ones with the right answer and no one else.
How does that make them the same? How is atheism "a concept of how you view life"? None of this makes sense.

I just wonder what anyone gains from trying to tear down another. Someone on here said well it's when religious people want to hurt others that it becomes dangerous. WHO are you talking about? Who is trying to hurt someone? I am not trying to hurt anyone. Are you?
So, you've never seen any religious act of hatred or intolerance? Never heard of religious terrorism? Holy wars? Religion being used to push discriminatory laws? Circumcision? The subjugation of women? Did all of these things pass you by?

I might as well say the danger is when atheists want to hurt someone.
Please give one, specific example in the whole of human history in which "atheism" was used as justification for any kind of atrocity.

And you know, I was commenting on how mocking and ridiculing atheists can be, and the OP says all of this was a joke. Many people will reach out to you out of pure sincerity and love and support because of your joke only to realize later that you were insincere and were making fools out of others for your enjoyment. Way to represent atheists. You have every right to your beliefs. Apparently you also have the right to be one giant ********.
It's called an April fools joke. Also, in case you didn't notice, it wasn't targeted just at theists - and the joke actually snared a great deal of atheists, myself included, and yet you don't see us getting incredibly upset about it. Maybe if you were less concerned with "winning someone over to your side" you'd be less upset when it turns out that they were only joking about it. But, no, apparently doing this is somehow a terrible sin worthy of pathetic ad hominem attacks, when you and I both know that if it were the other way around you'd have taken it much better. If your pride is so easy to bruise, perhaps you shouldn't be so desperately eager to have people agree with you on internet forums.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yet another side-note, highlighting Serenity's hypocrisy. Emphasis mine:

After ten years of frequenting these forums I would say that your feeling could in fact be incorrect. I can, and I do, debate very well in defence of my belief system. I fully expect to be challenged on those beliefs. What I do not expect, or tolerate, is personal abuse.

Then, in response to the following statement:

I am an atheist and I have some very strong views about religious belief and their traditional behaviour

Why do you have such views. What business is it of yours as to whether I, or any other Christian, believe in deity. Nobody is binding and shackling you in order to get you into the waters of baptism. Christianity is based on good moral principles intended to make us better people. How can you have strong views against morality. Or do you make the same mistake as most atheists do in blaming God for the actions of mankind. At the end of the day it is none of your business and should never effect you in your disbelief.
So, let me get this straight: you "fully expect to be challenged on your beliefs", and yet the moment someone states that they are an atheist and have "strong views about religious belief" (even when they don't even state exactly what those views are or what the reasoning behind them is), you immediately try to shut them up, make poor strawman arguments of their position, and tell them that your beliefs are "none of their business". That is, quite clearly, extraordinarily defensive behaviour comings from someone who apparently "fully expects to be challenged".

Serenity7855

Yet another side-note, highlighting Serenity's hypocrisy. Emphasis mine:

Then, in response to the following statement:

I am an atheist and I have some very strong views about religious belief and their traditional behaviour

So, let me get this straight: you "fully expect to be challenged on your beliefs", and yet the moment someone states that they are an atheist and have "strong views about religious belief" (even when they don't even state exactly what those views are or what the reasoning behind them is), you immediately try to shut them up, make poor strawman arguments of their position, and tell them that your beliefs are "none of their business". That is, quite clearly, extraordinarily defensive behaviour comings from someone who apparently "fully expects to be challenged".

Ah, and hear we have a prime example of the anti-theist of whom we talk about here. His first line in his post is aggressive, hostile, bad mannered and rude. I normally do not respond to his obnoxious and contentious post, however, he provides here an excellent example of the atheists, who gives descent atheists, a bad name. The one bad apple that spoils the whole bunch, so to speak. They do not argue the points made, no, they are apt in taking your post and making something of it that is simply not there, usually by taking your post completely out of context. A bit like the well feed WUM would do. They judge by their own measuring stick and then project their view point onto others. We call them "wide berth anti-theists". Notice how I have not addressed any of his points as to try and enter into constructive debate, or defence, with these type of atheists, is futile and completely pointless. They do not have the slightest interested in why we believe what we believe. Their goal is to "chalk one up" when they attempt to manipulate your words to mean something that they are not. His entire post is a slur on my character and an attempt to discredit me and my persona, rather then address my beliefs and the actual issues. Ad hominem is their/his favourite tool. Thank you for providing an excellent example of the group of individuals who are under discussion.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You said it, why shouldn't I believe it? It does not make me gullible, it just makes you a liar.

Oh c'mon Serenity. All April's fools are, by definition, lies. And gullibility and lies usually come together as a package, don't they? :)

But rest assured that I am not an angry anti-theist that wants to wipe out God from the face of the earth. And I really mean it (not the 1st April today).

I am strongly against completely removing religion and religious beliefs from human's culture.

That would deprive humanity from one of the greatest inspirations for comedy.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Ah, and hear we have a prime example of the anti-theist of whom we talk about here. His first line in his post is aggressive, hostile, bad mannered and rude. I normally do not respond to his obnoxious and contentious post, however, he provides here an excellent example of the atheists, who gives descent atheists, a bad name. The one bad apple that spoils the whole bunch, so to speak. They do not argue the points made, no, they are apt in taking your post and making something of it that is simply not there, usually by taking your post completely out of context. A bit like the well feed WUM would do. They judge by their own measuring stick and then project their view point onto others. We call them "wide berth anti-theists". Notice how I have not addressed any of his points as to try and enter into constructive debate, or defence, with these type of atheists, is futile and completely pointless. They do not have the slightest interested in why we believe what we believe. Their goal is to "chalk one up" when they attempt to manipulate your words to mean something that they are not. His entire post is a slur on my character and an attempt to discredit me and my persona, rather then address my beliefs and the actual issues. Ad hominem is their/his favourite tool. Thank you for providing an excellent example of the group of individuals who are under discussion.
If I took your comments "out of context", then please be so kind as to provide the justification and context for them - rather than going on this ridiculous tirade, making absurd generalizations and personal attacks, rather than actually acknowledge or respond to the point I've made.

It's really very simple: if you're really willing to be "challenged" on your beliefs, as you claimed, you would not tell someone to essentially "shut up and mind your own business" just for stating "I am an atheist and have strong views about religion". This makes you a hypocrite, and anyone can read your comment and see for themselves. It's not an ad hominem when you actually demonstrate that someone is what you are claiming them to be, and it's not a personal attack when you demonstrate them to be an unreliable, biased or or illogical person.

Serenity7855

Oh c'mon Serenity. All April's fools are, by definition, lies. And gullibility and lies usually come together as a package, don't they? :)

But rest assured that I am not an angry anti-theist that wants to wipe out God from the face of the earth. And I really mean it (not the 1st April today).

I am strongly against completely removing religion and religious beliefs from human's culture.

That would deprive humanity from one of the greatest inspirations for comedy.

Ciao

- viole

Let me tell you what my objection is. It is not with the April fool pranks, I have a large family so April fools is common place all year round. My objection are that you fail to comprehend that Christians take their beliefs and lifestyle ultra seriously. It is serious stuff for us. When you said what you said you created a sense of elation in the hearts of those who know Christ. A sense that Satan does not, at least, have claim on this individual. I sense of happiness and felicity fills the soul knowing that another lost child of God has come home and is being embraced by the arms of God. This is all seriously veridical stuff to us. Then when you pull the rug from under our feet we fall to the floor with a hefty bang that injures our pride and trust. It is far more then a April's fools to be laughed at. It is a monumental disappointment in an age where real conversions to Christianity are becoming a rarity. You need to be wise to the fact that Christianity is not a passing fad. It is a lifestyle and a intense belief.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, you are absolutely right. It is the failed Christian that has the nastiest of mouths, and delivers the most unpleasant and horrendous rhetoric, to anyone remotely religious. They were incapable of living the moralistic lifestyle needed to reach true conversion, as a lamb of Christs flock, so they berate and lambaste christianity in there feeble attempts to get others to leave by the same door.
I did not say this. I don't refer to ExChristians as "failed Christians". In fact I think there are very few Christians who are Christian, as G. K. Chesterson said, "Christianity hasn't failed. Christianity hasn't been tried yet", and I would say that is true on the whole. No, I said "former Christians", meaning those who have left the religion. If Christianity itself hasn't been tried yet, then atheists aren't "failed Christians", Christians are "failed Christians". Those who have left them can in fact be on a more spiritual path, one that needs to break free from the shackles of a "failed religion".

So what you have then are those struggling to find freedom, not from morality or responsibility, but from the bondage of a failed religious system. I would say they are more moral, and more responsible than most of the most religious Christians I have seen. Why? Because they don't excuse themselves saying they are obeying a higher authority. They take responsibility alone, and alone stand or fall. They love, not because they are obliged to love, but because they choose to love, not for reward from God, but the reward of simply being good. In other words, they are free to be more spiritual because they are no longer afraid of a God who threatens them to "be good or else". Without that fear, Spirit is served, if not in name, certainly in action.

What about the anger and vitriol then? 'That's not good', you will say. I consider that actually a normal and healthy reaction that one goes through when they've managed to break free from an unhealthy relationship. It's normal for people to be angry as part of the stages of grief one goes through with any extreme loss in their lives. And when that anger is expressed, often times it's just irrational. Think of their having rejected a religion that has failed them miserably like someone leaving an abusive relationship. Yes, they're going to be mad as hell once they are able to be free from it and start to heal! That anger is part of the healing process.

The above is normal, and healthy. What is not healthy however is what I said before that when all that remains, year and year after year is bitterness and cynicism. Think of it in terms of any human relationship. If after a divorce a man spends the rest of his life "hating women" (or a woman hating all men), that is in fact a failure in them to let go and take advantage to grow. It's no longer about the religion, in this case, but about them and their own bitterness. You find them too with the freshly out of religion atheists, trolling forums endlessly bashing believers, trying to bring them down. It's about them at this point, not about the religion. They are the ones who when presented with reasonable points of view demonstrate their own brand of irrationality against all religions, very much the way in my former example someone spends their whole life irrational seeing all men, or all women as the same. In summary, there is a difference between being angry and becoming bitter and irrational.

There are distinctions to be made in how those who are atheists may apply here as well. There is no one size fits all, atheists, religionists, men, women, etc blanket categories. I'd be careful not to broad-brush others the same as you feel they do you. As Gandhi once said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". Wise words.

It makes it easier to reconcile their failure and come to terms with it.
What I have not heard from you was what I was hoping to was to hear where you feel the religion failed them. Can you try that? Can you try to see from the others point of view and maybe understand their complaints, setting aside both their angry statements and your natural self-defensiveness to them? It's hard to do, but quite amazing what happens to you when you do. It's the first step to truly being self-responsible, looking at yourself through others eyes.

A very bitter failed Christian.
Or maybe they are trying to heal and become a better person away from a religion that failed them? Isn't this possible too?

Real atheists are tame in comparison to these embittered narcissistic psychopaths.
Isn't making it personal what you complain about them doing? To me a true Christian response would be compassion, which requires seeing their hurt and what is behind it and taking responsibility if it is appropriate, or offering a healing response, rather than passing judgment on them and returning like injury for injury.

Yes, I agree with you, whole heartedly, and unreservedly, it is those, who, I believe, have failed themselves, who use the most odious diatribe.
Why do you assume they have failed themselves? Ask them if they are more happy now, if they feel they have become better people for having left the religion. Would that be something you'd be willing to accept is true for them? You have to ask yourself that question with all sincerity to judge your own motivations. Do others have to believe like you do religiously in order for you to be happy for them? If so, is that really Love?

I was never, ever, able to become a fully fledged Mormon, despite my arduous attempts to, so I left it. I left it without a morsel of bitterness or regret, and I never bad mouthed it, or the things that I disagreed with it.
No everyone's departure is uneventful. Some, like yours may have been, or it could also be being repressed, which happens too. For a lot of people, it all comes out in a gush and they have to get it out of them, they have to reclaim what was stolen from them. Be care not to do what is easy to do, and assume your experience is how everyone else's should be. It's perfectly normal for different responses at different times for people.

The fundamental difference is that a motorcyclist can be injured through the choices of other motorists, making their own choices insignificant, Christians, essentually, only have themselves to blame.
Well, that's not true at all! Other Christians inflict great harm on others. Some of the very worst sorts of harm in fact, far worse than breaking your bones in a biking accident! Psychological damage if far worse than physical. Spiritual damage is even deeper! My God, the church has imprisoned and damaged countless beautiful souls, trying to force them to fit into a system under their control. I could fill pages talking about this. Psychotherapists earn the greatest percentage of their incomes because of the damage inflicted on youth in so many of these religious schools. It's incalculable.

No, they do in fact have religion to blame, and themselves to take credit for the almost unimaginably heroic efforts and drives to be able to break themselves free from it. I honestly believe that for most atheists who have broken free from religion it is because they have what you could call, greater faith, than those who merely toe the line of doctrine. They respond to that which harms the soul at all cost, breaking from friends and family, security and acceptance, etc. This is in fact very much what early Christians did! Imagine that one, if you will! :) Was Jesus mad at the the Pharisees of his day? Would Christians consider Jesus an atheist today? I tend to imagine they might.

Only the individual can receive the converting influence and testimony of the Holy Ghost. The choice is simple, Yes or No.
Yes or no to what? Being part of a religion, or yes or no to breaking free to become truly alive spiritually? To me, the latter is the correct answer in the affirmative. To say "Yes Lord,"might mean saying goodbye to your religion. Agreed? Is it necessary to be religious to serve Love? What do you think God would care about?

Does my response surprise you?
I'm leaving out a lot in response as it's rather long already, and I think it establishes my main points well enough. I'm hoping to hear a little more concession and less blame on your part towards others, as I consider that more in accord with Christian teaching. It's something I'd like to see in more people who claim the Christian religion as their own. I think there might be a lot less of the anger you see from those who leave her as they pursue what works for them in service to good.

Now, is my response surprising to you? I would hope it makes sense at the heart level.

Last edited:
I know that this might sound surprising to whom knows my worldview, but I am seriously reconsidering my atheism (and naturalism).

I have been thinking a lot recently about the Universe and the place we occupy in it. And I asked myself the question: is that really all so pointless? Do we really evolve, live, die and that's it? Isn't maybe possible that humanity occupies a special place in the great scheme of things?

If we collect all the arguments that hint at the possibility of God, we cannot really see one that sets the issue. But all of them could give us some cumulative pieces of evidence all pointing to a possible trascendent reality. This is also the process we use to provide evidence in science.

For instance, the amazing effectivity of mathematics to describe the Universe is something I could not really explain as a naturalist. How is that possible that mathematics applies so perfectly to the fabric of reality if there is not a mind behind all this?

I also considered the fine tuning argument as one of the strongest ones in support of a non natural origin of conscious beings. The chances of life are so negligible that it seems really a stretch to believe that consciousness can arise out of unconscious processes. We should expect a Universe just filled with dead things and not one with life. Especially not one with introspective life, or life that goes beyond the immediate survival instincts: i.e life that can give the Universe itself a meaning.

But the key moment was this morning. And it was not a mere rational analysis. I just had a look out of my window. When I saw the mountains, the lake, the majesty and the beauty surrounding me, I experienced a moment in which I felt one with everything. All the long term pointlessness of my naturalistic view vanished. That was stunning and something I never felt before. I don't know if that can be considered a mystic experience, but it felt like one.

At the moment, I am a bit confused and still thinking about it. My Christian friend thinks that God is claiming me back, and, for the first time since a long time, I cannot definetely rule that out.

Ciao

- viole

What's missing from your analysis is the effect of time on evolution. Very small, seemingly insignificant changes occurring over billions of years can result in seemingly impossible results. The Colorado river started as a tiny creek. But over millions of years it created the Grand Canyon. But it's difficult for us to think about things is time frames much longer than our own short life times.

The universe is not fine tuned. Planets and Suns are constantly being created and destroyed. At some point our sun will burn out and our planet will become a desolate rock. That is hard to imagine because it will take so long, and in our life time the earth seems unchanging. But it will happen. Our own bodies are not so fine tuned. Eventually they fail and we die.

Physicas forces create outcomes that seem like fine tuning. It holds you to the planed. Otherwise, you would float away as if you were in space away from the earths gravitational influence.

The sun rising each day is an amazing phenomenon. And people used to,attribute it to the gods. We know better now. Just because there are still things we don't yet understand doesn't mean a god created it by magic. It just means we haven't yet discovered the underlying causes.

Finally, there is zero evidence that a god exists, except in people's imaginations, none.

skl

A man on a mission

If you are politely asking why atheists or non-believers are asking you difficult questions when your belief and position is clear I will explain. Your belief in God is in many ways detrimental to our society. There is a huge raft of the things such as discrimination that I would not want my children to learn from religion and the fact that your ideology would put religious indoctrination in schools and prevent my children from learning about the scientific and technological progress of the world is a criminal act. We have a duty not to a deity but to our future existence on our planet and to achieve that we have to reduce the hold religion has on society and break the cycle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Notes on losing atheism.....
- Lose it as often as you need....there's no penalty.
- Even if you divulge our secret handshake to believers, it's OK.
- Reclaim it as often as you need....you're always welcome back.