• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man sentenced to death for sorcery.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to redeem the umbrella term 'spirituality'.

And that's because you are an expert in spiritually, or maybe because you are a highly spiritual person who has the ability to construct a very clear idea of what spirituality mean?

Well, i didn't know that Atheists are highly spiritual people who can distinguish between spirituality--if they do believe in something called a spirit or soul--and between superstition. Last time i checked, Atheists or let's say most of them has regarded anything spiritual as a mere superstition, as that wasn't enough, now you are trying to define my beliefs for me?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
And that's because you are an expert in spiritually, or maybe because you are a highly spiritual person who has the ability to construct a very clear idea of what spirituality mean?

Well, i didn't know that Atheists are highly spiritual people who can distinguish between spirituality--if they do believe in something called a spirit or soul--and between superstition. Last time i checked, Atheists or let's say most of them has regarded anything spiritual as a mere superstition, as that wasn't enough, now you are trying to define my beliefs for me?
Im more than able to be critical of different beliefs. for example, its fairly easy for me to come to the conclusion that executing someone as a 'black magician' is considered superstitious by normative social standards.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Im more than able to be critical of different beliefs. for example, its fairly easy for me to come to the conclusion that executing someone as a 'black magician' is considered superstitious by normative social standards.

And i'm highly confident that your analysis is baseless because you are being biased here. You don't even believe that God exist, how you would be able to comprehend that God prohibited practicing this act?!

Social standards where? in Israel? the secular world? How about the *normative social standards* in the Middle East as a whole? Ahh, maybe they are not human beings like you, they are a second class human beings, and therefore, their social standards are meaningless.

I think you are not qualified to judge whether the Saudi government should find this man or any other person guilty or not.

Saudi Arabia has the right to prosecute people who disobey the laws of the famous Flying Spaghetti Monster if they want. If you don't like it, DON'T GO TO SAUDI ARABIA. So simple!

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
And i'm highly confident that your analysis is baseless because you are being biased here. You don't even believe that God exist, how you would be able to comprehend that God prohibited practicing this act?!
Perhaps my lack of belief in a god, is more constructive than downgraded materialistic beliefs about god. you are assuming that your version of god is more valid or truthful than those of other religions.

I think you are not qualified to judge whether the Saudi government should find this man or any other person guilty or not.
Its not that you dont think im qualified to make the judgment. its that you are offended by my POV.

Saudi Arabia has the right to prosecute people who disobey the laws of the famous Flying Spaghetti Monster if they want. If you don't like it, DON'T GO TO SAUDI ARABIA. So simple!
And each and every member here has a right to be highly critical of the Saudi domestic laws. considering that while I may not set foot in Saudi Arabia, there are foreign workers in the country that are subject to the harsh Saudi law.

The Gulf is a major destination for migrant workers, particularly those from Southern Asia and South East Asia. Gulf countries are also widely known for the consistent and endemic violations perpetrated against migrant workers.
When it comes to the death penalty, the number of migrants who are killed by judicial execution is grossly disproportional to the size of their populations.
Discrimination on the basis of religion, nationality and ethnicity are common human rights violations in most Gulf States.

Migrant Workers and the Death Penalty in Bahrain & Saudi Arabia | Bahrain Center for Human Rights

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps my lack of belief in a god, is more constructive than downgraded materialistic beliefs about god. http://www.bahrainrights.org/en/node/3054

Thank you for proving my point. This superiority attitude is exactly what i meant about you being biased. You think your lack of belief makes you have a better judgement than those who believe in God. Your POV is highly respected and cherished if you don't look at believers in this degrading and disrespectful way.

It's not about members' opinion in general, but about your own opinion in this thread which i have just described how i think of it.

challupa

Perhaps my lack of belief in a god, is more constructive than downgraded materialistic beliefs about god. you are assuming that your version of god is more valid or truthful than those of other religions.

Its not that you dont think im qualified to make the judgment. its that you are offended by my POV.

And each and every member here has a right to be highly critical of the Saudi domestic laws. considering that while I may not set foot in Saudi Arabia, there are foreign workers in the country that are subject to the harsh Saudi law.

Migrant Workers and the Death Penalty in Bahrain & Saudi Arabia | Bahrain Center for Human Rights
This is so true. I have a friend that is currently working in Saudi Arabia. This is the first time his company has sent him there. He has been in other Arab countries over the years, but not Saudi. I worry about him just being there unfortunately. I have heard so many horror stories of injustice, torture and false accusations etc.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Thank you for proving my point. This superiority attitude is exactly what i meant about you being biased. You think your lack of belief makes you have a better judgement than those who believe in God. Your POV is highly respected and cherished if you don't look at believers in this degrading and disrespectful way.

It's not about members' opinion in general, but about your own opinion in this thread which i have just described how i think of it.
Look, you've said that my analysis is baseless because I do not believe in God. my point is that, my atheism is no different than your religious beliefs. im fairly confident that the vast majority of believers in God on this forum, find the idea of executing a man for practicing what has been defined as black magic to be 'unspiritual' and a superstitious nightmare.
Just like you can voice a support for the Saudi law in this case and express your religious sentiments behind it, I can criticise this case, even if it might come from my atheistic world view.

maro

muslimah
Enhancing Human Performance: Issues, Theories, and Techniques

[youtube]40QVp8_P0LY[/youtube]
YouTube - Michael Shermer Remote Viewing Experiment Part 1

Library, The Matter of Dowsing
And here you can find a an experiment on people claiming to have X-Ray vision, and people who believe they are dowsers: http://www.randi.org/pdf/swift1-2.pdf

However, the Indian skeptics say 20,000 Indians die each year from snake bites because they sought out magical healing instead of proper care: The Freethinker - Official Website of Science and Rationalists’ Association of India & Humanists' Association

Thank you for taking the time to provide the above interesting links for me...but unfortunately they are irrelevant , because i have no religious reason to believe in parapsycological phenomena , remote viewing , dowsing, or people with x-ray vision....and of course i never claimed that people should seek magical healing instead of medicine

I was specific in my request ,i think

You might also be interested in some of the anthropological studies of witchcraft in various societies, for example in four different African tribes: JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie Here's an excerpt describing their observations:
Here's a whole book on anthropological research of witchcraft in various cultures, Witchcraft Accusations and Confessions, published by the Social Anthropology Society. In all this research, you can find lots of accusations and confessions of witchcraft from many cultures, but no evidence of "real" witchcraft is ever observed, although they report many cases of paranoia and superstition.​
I think those two links are relevant to our topic ,but unfortunataly anthropological studies...forgive my ignorance ,but in what way are anthropologists supposed to observe the evidence ? i mean ,do they perform scietific studies to verify what people believe or how they behave? isn't the belief and the behaviour itself the topic of study but not verifying it ?

You talked about a (huge body of research ) that disproved magic (or witchcraft) ,and i was expecting scientific papers ,not anthropological studies...am i missing something ?

Last edited:

maro

muslimah
Not hard to grasp at all, just hard to believe.

Why so ?

I understand that it's hard for you to believe in god or revealation...but why it's so hard to believe that there are people who do believe in god and revealation...are you really expecting all people to view life as you and have exactly the same philosophy ?

i think the human diversity is the most believable thing in the world...i think the right word is not * it's hard to believe *...the right word is *it's hard to tolerate *

Actually ,tolerance is tested only when people think differently...and forgive me ,you terribly failed the test....don't you tolerate muslims unless they are okay with extramarital sex , sodomy , dating non muslims ,and denying a religious tenet that's clearly mentioned in the Quran ?!!!

Again, i am not offended that you view my beliefs as superstitious...not at all...what else is expected from an atheist ?....you are entitled to your opinion... and i will fight for people like you to be tolerated in my society... inspite what i might think of them....i won't force my worldview on you and i will mind my own business

so why is it really that hard for you to accept that muslims are different from you and will remain so ?...if many christians have abondened their scripts and *progressed* , take my word , it's not gonna happen with muslims...Live with it ,MS
Why are you trying so hard to show you don't care about my opinions? Who are you trying to convince? I am responding to the OP. This is an open discussion forum. If you don't care to have a discussion, no problem, no one is forcing you. I'll continue discussing with whomever is interested.
i think you misunderstood me....my point was not that i don't care for your opinions ,personally......my point was that no muslim cares of a kaffir's opinions regarding his religion

if you want to continue discussing...fine...but i don't think you will find a listener among muslims because we don't like to be told what to believe in and how to behave and what laws to apply in our own countries....we don't like the western angels who talk with superiority and arrogance

i have tried to make you realize this more than once..and i thought you were intelligent enough to grasp what i was talking about..._and i still think so ,btw _.....but unfortunately ,you were so close minded on the idea that you could possibly go somewhere by throwing some anthropological studies or talking to us about how two gay penguins crossing their necks and happy are cute and fascinating !

Last edited:

maro

muslimah
If i knew that smoking in public will cause me to be beheaded in a specific country, i will either happily smoke in my country, or i would i go to that country and never smoke. So simple.

it's not that simple ,Tashan.....otherwise ,how are they going to give us instructions about the human rights ? :sarcastic how are they going to practice their hobby ? do you think you can burn the card they are playing that simple ? :cool:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Look, you've said that my analysis is baseless because I do not believe in God. my point is that, my atheism is no different than your religious beliefs. im fairly confident that the vast majority of believers in God on this forum, find the idea of executing a man for practicing what has been defined as black magic to be 'unspiritual' and a superstitious nightmare.
Just like you can voice a support for the Saudi law in this case and express your religious sentiments behind it, I can criticise this case, even if it might come from my atheistic world view.

You don't have to mention the members every time you try to make a point. This is an old fashion and a very classic way to give the impression that the whole world got your back and support you in every word you say. Sheesh!

Anyhow, whatever! you already have said enough.

it's not that simple ,Tashan.....otherwise ,how are they going to give us instructions about the human rights ? :sarcastic how are they going to practice their hobby ? do you think you can burn the card they are playing that simple ? :cool:

:p

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You don't have to mention the members every time you try to make a point. This is an old fashion and a very classic way to give the impression that the whole world got your back and support you in every word you say. Sheesh!
Of course, other people's criticism is meaningless when directed at an absolute truth.