• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marijuana ~ What is your opinion toward it?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
when i was a stoner I would never stop in a debate about weed and say, ya your right lol

why would I expect it be any different now. It isnt.

please take responsibility for your lifestyle.

But dont you see, some people DO take responsibility in their lifestyle. Thats the point that most of us have been trying to make. It is not inherently bad. It CAN be misused and cause harm, BUT it also can be used RESPONSIBLY.

You see, when someone quits something that caused them harm or messed their lives up, they often feel they have to demonize it to distance themselves from it.

Thats why people who quit smoking cigarettes are some of the most anti-tobacco people you'll meet.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
you claim because one or two very intellegent people use it and have no issues that that makes it perfect for anyone and everyone.

it doesnt work like that because of a few lucky ones. Most people do not follow your shining examples.

IS it a drug? yes

are drugs bad?? yes

do drugs get abused?? yes

does weed get abused??? yes and not one doper will lift a finger to do anything about it. Hell most of you will enable said behaviour.

I did NOT claim it was perfect for anyone.

Not all drugs are bad, and in fact clinical psychologists have found positive uses for psychoactive drugs such as marijuana and psylocibin.

Yes drugs get abused. So does a countless number of other things in this world that are not inherently harmful.

gnomon

this is a matter of someone who knows both sides of the coin and the thin line in the middle [the truth]

Translation: I've been there, man! Only I hold a unique perspective on the truth.

and a bunch of ilegal drug using dopers with a truckload of excuses for the pitiful lifestyle with no regard for the problems they create.

Translation: Every argument made in counter to mine will be dismissed as the arguments of pot smokers and since they smoke pot their arguments are no good.

I lived their life, and i have lived the straight life. Most dopers have never lived a straight life as long as they have been stoned. They dont have a real perspective of the real world. Again they are the minority

Translation: Once again, only I have a handle on the truth.

outhouse

Atheistically
Translation: I've been there, man! Only I hold a unique perspective on the truth.

balanced view, not unique

lets talk about you, do you have as many or more straight years currently after years of use???

still a user are you not?

outhouse

Atheistically
Translation: Every argument made in counter to mine will be dismissed as the arguments of pot smokers and since they smoke pot their arguments are no good.

never seen anyone except maybe snoop dog lol stand up at a speach and say I owe all this to my constant abuse of weed

Alceste

Vagabond
dont take me wrong.

your style I have no issue with, problem is every doper out there has that same attitude that they are different and not part of any problem associated with its use.

I see the damage it causes because I dont do it, and see first hand what it is responsible for.

While I personally have no use for pot except for controlling pain, I also know dozens of people who grow and smoke it recreationally. Every last one of them is a wonderful, accomplished, admirable person. Those who have jobs are excellent employees, reliable and proud of their work. Those who are entrepreneurs and artists are the hardest workers you will ever meet.

So, as far as my experience is concerned, you were an atypical user. You could not control your use, you indulged at inappropriate times and took inappropriate quantities, so your use had a negative impact on your ability to realize your potential. I do think that is an awful tragedy, but I DON'T think it's a tragedy that can be averted by spreading histrionic misinformation about the evils marijuana and supporting an astronomically expensive and ridiculously ineffective crack-down on marijuana.

Yes, I think it would be good to reduce the number of children whose lives are ruined by compulsive and addictive behavior. But the "drug war" is not helping us realize this goal. In fact, I am completely certain that it is exacerbating the problem, because I read studies on the subject.

gnomon

lets talk about you, do you have as many or more straight years currently after years of use???

That's completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

But if you want to know there is a search function. There are many posts of mine going back for years on this forum in which I discuss my personal experience. You can go digging for them.

But I'm not going to engage in a silly debate about who's been in the trenches the longest.

edit: Heard enough damn war stories from my years in treatment.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
In fact, you have yet to counter what I stated in my last posts. Perhaps you have no evidence otherwise, so you just move on to other posts you can argue with?

outhouse

Atheistically
While I personally have no use for pot except for controlling pain, I also know dozens of people who grow and smoke it recreationally. Every last one of them is a wonderful, accomplished, admirable person. Those who have jobs are excellent employees, reliable and proud of their work. Those who are entrepreneurs and artists are the hardest workers you will ever meet.

So, as far as my experience is concerned, you were an atypical user. You could not control your use, you indulged at inappropriate times and took inappropriate quantities, so your use had a negative impact on your ability to realize your potential. I do think that is an awful tragedy, but I DON'T think it's a tragedy that can be averted by spreading histrionic misinformation about the evils marijuana and supporting an astronomically expensive and ridiculously ineffective crack-down on marijuana.

Yes, I think it would be good to reduce the number of children whose lives are ruined by compulsive and addictive behavior. But the "drug war" is not helping us realize this goal. In fact, I am completely certain that it is exacerbating the problem, because I read studies on the subject.

there some guys at work that grow legally and there good guys. sadly they are the minorty.

So, as far as my experience is concerned, you were an atypical user

compared to now its very possible.

when i grew up everyone was like me, everyone.

remember though, I never lost a single job. I was always employed. And i only had minor trouble with the law at best. I never stuck a needle in my arm, I never hurt anyone with my use, less my parents for the emotion abuse I put them through as the watched a pretty bright kid throw his education away in favor of motorcycles and weed.

so how atypical was I really???

darkstar

Once again, I'm not. And since you refuse to address my points since they're devastating to your case, I consider this an argument that you have lost by default.
I don't care to continue with this because you have been shown points and can only counter with "drugs are bad and my friends and I have screwed up our lives with it."
But you can't place blame on the substance totally.

Some people drink responsibly, others beat their wife while drunk.
And I've yet to see a case where weed has contributed to violence.
Crime, however, does.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
there some guys at work that grow legally and there good guys. sadly they are the minorty.

compared to now its very possible.

when i grew up everyone was like me, everyone.

remember though, I never lost a single job. I was always employed. And i only had minor trouble with the law at best. I never stuck a needle in my arm, I never hurt anyone with my use, less my parents for the emotion abuse I put them through as the watched a pretty bright kid throw his education away in favor of motorcycles and weed.

so how atypical was I really???

The things you are saying in your post just prove that marijuana is not inherently bad, but can be abused (like almost anything). You know good guys who grow. I know good guys who smoke. And remember, you say that "everybody" was like that when you were growing up, but you were only in one place at one time. There is a huge world with many different kinds of people.

I would say your experience was atypical. I have known a lot of people who smoked, and only one or two actually engaged in crime or unethical behavior. The rest just enjoy it like they would anything else.

I think the point is, we can all agree that people abuse it, but we all have evidence that it can also be used responsibly. So, the verdict should be that, marijuana, when used responsibly, can be a part of a productive upright lifestyle. When used irresponsibly, it can lead to harming oneself and others.

So, with these two ways of using marijuana: responsibly and irrisponsibly, we can come to the conclusion that marijuana is not inherently harmful, but with improper use can have negative consequences.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think the point is, we can all agree that people abuse it, but we all have evidence that it can also be used responsibly. So, the verdict should be that, marijuana, when used responsibly, can be a part of a productive upright lifestyle. When used irresponsibly, it can lead to harming oneself and others.

I can agree to that

outhouse

Atheistically
So, with these two ways of using marijuana: responsibly and irrisponsibly, we can come to the conclusion that marijuana is not inherently harmful, but with improper use can have negative consequences.

thats not a bad take.

except for one thing, it screws up kids mentalities because they havnt finished growing up yet. It does stunt their mental growth. No if's and's or but's

figure out how to keep it away from kids [that works] and ill vote for legality