• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Me Myself

Back to my username
Anyone will choose their label. I deem everyone that advocates for men`s rights when they see it needed to be a masculist, which includes me. I would like the thread being green ebcause I am aware many people are not comfortable with the label and it would make them refrain from posting if it was purple.

There are different positions in what regards to men right`s dvocates I would assume. Most societies are pathrilineal and just in there we already have an element of patriarchy IMHO.

That said, a reinforced point is that instead of us all being oppressed by "the bigger "man" " we were all oppressed by fixed gender roles.

Men were forced to be the sole providers of the family in many cases and the women were forced to be the ones making and taking care of the children. Men who could not provide for their families were seen in terrible light, as did women who did not take good care of their children or husband or home.

I think the most terrible abuses were towards the women although I would assume this would vary depending on the culture (the vikings and spartans were more women friendly than other societies for example).

The point of a sensible Masculinist in my view would be to tak notice of the problems of men, without any compulsion to pretend women do not have problems or to see "who has it worst" or if they have "equally bad problems"

Some masculinist say that the gender roles are desirable, point I do not agree with. Masculinism has a lot less time than feminism but it also has its diverging ideas, like any ideology really.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have noticed that. Read about half of the books in a "womans history section" which talked about how woman have influenced our history and how they had it in ancient cultures. Was very interesting... but most history books where about men.

Exactly. I've been hunting relevant books for many weeks, mostly online and in second hand book stores. I have amassed a collection specifically of women's history specific to this region between the mid-19th century to the great depression that is now larger than the local big box book retailer's entire collection of "women's studies" books.

So it isn't that the books don't exist. They're just really hard to find.

Wherenextcolumbus

Anyone will choose their label. I deem everyone that advocates for men`s rights when they see it needed to be a masculist, which includes me. I would like the thread being green ebcause I am aware many people are not comfortable with the label and it would make them refrain from posting if it was purple.

There are different positions in what regards to men right`s dvocates I would assume. Most societies are pathrilineal and just in there we already have an element of patriarchy IMHO.

That said, a reinforced point is that instead of us all being oppressed by "the bigger "man" " we were all oppressed by fixed gender roles.

Men were forced to be the sole providers of the family in many cases and the women were forced to be the ones making and taking care of the children. Men who could not provide for their families were seen in terrible light, as did women who did not take good care of their children or husband or home.

I think the most terrible abuses were towards the women although I would assume this would vary depending on the culture (the vikings and spartans were more women friendly than other societies for example).

The point of a sensible Masculinist in my view would be to tak notice of the problems of men, without any compulsion to pretend women do not have problems or to see "who has it worst" or if they have "equally bad problems"

Some masculinist say that the gender roles are desirable, point I do not agree with. Masculinism has a lot less time than feminism but it also has its diverging ideas, like any ideology really.

Well from what I have read you seem to be the only one so far on the forums who identifies as a masculinist.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Well from what I have read you seem to be the only one so far on the forums who identifies as a masculinist.

1- I wasnt the one who asked for the DIR

2- A nice number people seem to be interested in topics that would be discussed in such DIR

3-There is an Amish DIR.

dust1n

Zindīq
Heck, I haven't even voted yet. I was waiting to see what kind of DIR it would most likely be. I think I'm nearing a decision. ;)

I went ahead of yes, because saying no just makes this one particular thread more active then the whole proposed subforum would ever be.

dust1n

Zindīq
Maybe she subscribes to the belief that when men have moderately progressive opinions, they're basically women.

To be fair, I have grown C cups sine I've taken on the cause... this remains curiously unexplained. Also, I started my period. At the age of 24, who would have thunk it?

Me Myself

Back to my username
To be fair, I have grown C cups sine I've taken on the cause... this remains curiously unexplained. Also, I started my period. At the age of 24, who would have thunk it?

It`s funny because your avatar always made me thunk you may have male boobs :eek:

Wherenextcolumbus

1- I wasnt the one who asked for the DIR

2- A nice number people seem to be interested in topics that would be discussed in such DIR

3-There is an Amish DIR.

1-The person who suggested the DIR only did so because there is now a feminist DIR, that doesn't mean they personally identify as a masculinst or even thought about a masculinist DIR before we had a feminist one.

2- Being interested in topics and actually identifying as a masculinist are two different things.

3-....Great! I was interested in a body modification DIR but no one really cared about it. Even though people are suggesting topics, I don't think many people actually genuinely care if there is a masculinist forum or not. Remember this only started as a reaction to the feminist forum, not because we have masculinist members.

Me Myself

Back to my username
18 people have gone for yes, which is more already than the yeses for the feminism DIR.

If you want to propose some other DIR, go for it :shrug:

ignition

18 people have gone for yes, which is more already than the yeses for the feminism DIR.

If you want to propose some other DIR, go for it :shrug:
was this to me? If so then I don't mind a men's DIR, in fact it'd be nice to see one, I was just shocked at the amount of people opposing it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
was this to me? If so then I don't mind a men's DIR, in fact it'd be nice to see one, I was just shocked at the amount of people opposing it.

no, it wasn`t.

I honestly see the amount of people opposing it almost as a display of it being important enough to be had.

Then again the poll didn`t include a "I dont know" or "am not sure" answer, so that is also to be kept in mind.