• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misogyny in Game of Thrones?

Alceste

Vagabond
I guess you were just expecting pure eyecandy with zero plot?

Yep. That's what was advertised, so that's what I expected. Plus turning it into a stupid boy movie at the end was just rude. The type of crappy plot I expected was one that would generally appeal to women, like naked man bums do. I did not expect a sudden crappy plot that was tailored to guy sensibilities, with all the fighting and drug dealers and bla bla bla. I can see that any day on TV. Total waste of white zinfandel and chocolate. Me and my girlfriends ended up talking through the entire second half until Matthew McCaughnehy finally whipped his butt out.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yep. That's what was advertised, so that's what I expected. Plus turning it into a stupid boy movie at three end was just rude. The type of crappy Polly I expected was one that would generally appeal to women, like naked man bums do. I did not expect a sudden crappy plot that was tailored to guy sensibilities, with all the fighting and drug dealers and bla bla bla.

I never thought of the film's plot being tailored to men. I enjoyed the male eye candy and thought it was a good movie, too. :shrug:

I just wish they would've made it more explicit but that's just me. :D

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
It amuses me that people are offended by misogyny. There are many forms of hatred in existence and sometimes there are very convincing justifications for it.

Yeah, hating, objectifying, and oppressing me for my chromosomes/gender/secondary sexual characteristics is totally justifiable. I should just get over it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It amuses me that people are offended by misogyny. There are many forms of hatred in existence and sometimes there are very convincing justifications for it.

And in the spirit of your argument, I would like to entirely dismiss your assertion as false based on your gender. What do you think of this line of reasoning?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
In the book, there are no one dimensional characters that appear solely during sex scenes for the titillation of male readers. The TV show is full of dozens of female extras who have no purpose in the show other than being used for sex by various male characters. That's why I lean toward considering this particular choice misogynistic. If there were as many pointless male extras popping their kit off to be used for sex, I would feel differently.

Television and novelized fiction are really two completely different mediums, and allowances always have to be made for adaptations. Honestly, as somebody who has read the books, I think this is probably one of the best adaptations I've seen, and, in fact, I find the show much more enjoyable than I did the books. (I trailed off as it started to turn into an overbloated, Robert Jordan-esque, jerk-off fest for the author).

However, I realize that some people might prefer the books, and I also realize some people might not like to look at hot, naked chicks. However, I find it a bit of a stretch to count the inclusion of female eye-candy in a fantasy show as "misogynistic." I think it stretches the term to the point of ridiculousness and meaninglessness. Of course, I've never been much of a militant, an idealist, or someone who gets offended, so I doubt I can relate to such a mindset. I suppose people can call it "male privilege" if it makes them feel better.

Alceste

Vagabond
Television and novelized fiction are really two completely different mediums, and allowances always have to be made for adaptations. Honestly, as somebody who has read the books, I think this is probably one of the best adaptations I've seen, and, in fact, I find the show much more enjoyable than I did the books. (I trailed off as it started to turn into an overbloated, Robert Jordan-esque, jerk-off fest for the author).

However, I realize that some people might prefer the books, and I also realize some people might not like to look at hot, naked chicks. However, I find it a bit of a stretch to count the inclusion of female eye-candy in a fantasy show as "misogynistic." I think it stretches the term to the point of ridiculousness and meaninglessness. Of course, I've never been much of a militant, an idealist, or someone who gets offended, so I doubt I can relate to such a mindset. I suppose people can call it "male privilege" if it makes them feel better.

To make the connection between objectification (IOW using naked women being sexed up as "eye candy" for male viewers) you need to spend some time seriously considering the implications of the casual sexual objectification of women. Why does it occur, what does it say about our society, and what would the motives of the men making these decisions be - particularly the subconscious motives. Something in these producers drives them to present many of the female extras exclusively as sex objects, but not the male ones. If it were a purely rational decision to attract more viewers, you'd expect to see a roughly equal amount of sexually objectified male extras for the viewing pleasure of female viewers (or homosexuals). So, it's likely an irrational decision driven by their own subconscious views about women. It's probably not affection for fairly realistic, three dimensional women, since they're usually not presenting the principals in this "sexy" light. It's also not an appreciation for female sexuality, since it's all pretty terrible sex from a female perspective - tailored to male sexuality.

Anyway, bla bla bla. I'm already tired of listening to myself explain it. IMO, if you don't get the connection between the sexual objectification of women and contempt for women, that's totally OK. It's not obvious - it's a conclusion one might logically come to after spending a bit of time contemplating the root cause of many gender based double standards in society, such as the gratuitous sexual objectification of female background actors in Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
To make the connection between objectification (IOW using naked women being sexed up as "eye candy" for male viewers) you need to spend sometime seriously considering the implications of the casual sexual objectification of women. Why does it occur, what does it say about our society, and what would the motives of the men making these decisions be - particularly the subconscious motives. Something in these producers drives them to present many of the female extras exclusively as sex objects, but not the male ones. If it were a purely rational decision to attract more viewers, you'd expect to see a roughly equal amount of sexually objectified male extras for the viewing pleasure of female viewers (or homosexuals). So, it's likely an irrational decision driven by their own subconscious views about women. It's probably not affection for fairly realistic, three dimensional women, since they're usually not presenting the principals in this "sexy" light.

Anyway, bla bla bla. I'm already tired of listening to myself explain it. IMO, if you don't get the connection between the sexual objectification of women and contempt for women, that's totally OK. It's not obvious - it's a conclusion one might logically come to after spending a but of time contemplating the root cause of many gender based double standards in society, such as the gratuitous sexual objectification of female background actors in Game of Thrones.

I don't have any contempt for hot, naked chicks. I like looking at them. Especially when they're making out.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't have any contempt for hot, naked chicks I like looking at them. Especially when they're making out.

Yeah, the contempt enters into it when you see hot chicks building log cabins or something and get annoyed because you'd rather see them making out.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yeah, the contempt enters into it when you see hot chicks building log cabins or something and get annoyed because you'd rather see them making out.

It depends, some chicks look hotter building cabins, some look hotter making out with other chicks. I prefer to see people fulfill their ideal purpose.

Alceste

Vagabond
It depends, some chicks look hotter building cabins, some look hotter making out with other chicks. I prefer to see people fulfill their ideal purpose.

Speaking as a chick looks pretty hot regardless of whether I'm building cabins or making out with other chicks, I've observed first hand a vague kind of hostility from some men on job sites that I can only attribute to the fact that I'm doing something other than making out with hot naked chicks.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Speaking as a chick looks pretty hot regardless of whether I'm building cabins or making out with other chicks, I've observed first hand a vague kind of hostility from some men on job sites that I can only attribute to the fact that I'm doing something other than making out with hot naked chicks.

I really can't see why you can't do both at the same time.

freethinker44

I've observed first hand a vague kind of hostility from some men on job sites that I can only attribute to the fact that I'm doing something other than making out with hot naked chicks.

I've noticed the same thing when I'm at work. It's totally obvious people don't like me because I'm not naked all the time. I mean, I'm pretty awesome and definitely the most intelligent person I know, so the only logical reason coworkers are hostile towards me has got to be because I won't let them sexually objectify me. Since I'm literally flawless in every way that's the only other thing I can think of.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've noticed the same thing when I'm at work. It's totally obvious people don't like me because I'm not naked all the time. I mean, I'm pretty awesome and definitely the most intelligent person I know, so the only logical reason coworkers are hostile towards me has got to be because I won't let them sexually objectify me. Since I'm literally flawless in every way that's the only other thing I can think of.

Maybe they don't like you because you don't offer to fellate them on your lunch break. You know, sometimes a little oral sex goes a long way in terms of greasing the social wheels.

Alceste

Vagabond

It's funny that you're being sarcastic. I have literally been invited behind the work trucks to suck the cocks of my male coworkers, then blacklisted when I failed to show up for the **** sucking appointment, then explicitly been told that the reason for my not being permitted to work was that I am, and I quote, "a tease" according to "some of the guys". This experience kept me away from my chosen career for nearly a decade, until I tried again in a more enlightened province with more women doing this job. I recognize the attitude well from personal experience, but the sexual harassment that used to follow the vague hostility is generally under control here.

I know you'd love to imagine it's all in my head, but that's my actual background, so you can suck it as far as I'm concerned. :p

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's funny that you're being sarcastic. I have literally been invited behind the work trucks to suck the cocks of my male coworkers, then blacklisted when I failed to show up for the **** sucking appointment, then explicitly been told that the reason for my not being permitted to work was that I am, and I quote, "a tease" according to "some of the guys". This experience kept me away from my chosen career for nearly a decade, until I tried again in a more enlightened province with more women doing this job. I recognize the attitude well from personal experience, but the sexual harassment that used to follow the vague hostility is generally under control here.

That's pretty disgusting. I'm glad you work in a better area now. Hopefully you'll get to where you want without sexism being an obstacle to you again.

Alceste

Vagabond
That's pretty disgusting. I'm glad you work in a better area now. Hopefully you'll get to where you want without sexism being an obstacle to you again.

It's still a minor obstacle. I generally work twice as hard as my male coworkers to maintain my position - that's pretty standard for all the women I've encountered on grip / electric crews. The guys who pick crews often prefer guys - even incompetent / inexperienced guys, so we really have to stand out to keep working.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's still a minor obstacle. I generally work twice as hard as my male coworkers to maintain my position - that's pretty standard for all the women I've encountered on grip / electric crews. The guys who pick crews often prefer guys - even incompetent / inexperienced guys, so we really have to stand out to keep working.

That sucks, but it sounds like you're more than up to the job. Best of luck!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Frankly, you're just way too damn reasonable when it comes to giving other people the benefit of the doubt concerning the fact they were there and you weren't. You should try second-guessing folks more often.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
That sucks, but it sounds like you're more than up to the job. Best of luck!

It's actually fine. I like to keep busy and picking up the slack for the lazy guys on some crews keeps me in great shape. It's also fun for me to watch two inexperienced guys struggling to set up equipment that poses me no problems. Very satisfying, in an odd way.

freethinker44

Frankly, you're just way too damn reasonable when it comes to giving other people the benefit of the doubt concerning the fact they were there and you weren't. You should try second-guessing folks more often.

I suppose I could give people benefit of the doubt, but I don't like being wrong and in my experience extending that courtesy more often than not ends up being more credit than people deserve. It's incredibly cynical, I know, but it usually works out better for me to doubt and get proof than to take their word for it, and I've found this is especially true when someone is talking about something they do or something that has happened to them. This attitude doesn't net a lot of friends but I have yet to encounter a situation where that has mattered to me.