• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Errr im still not convinced. It isn't your fault, I just know there are numerous faculty members here that I would not trust with a stick, much less a gun.
I've met cops who are just criminals with a badge.
But we don't base public policy on the worst case scenario.
No one should be convinced yet.
We need real world experience with record of vetted & trained
school personnel carrying concealed, & schools no longer being
attractive soft targets.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I've met cops who are just criminals with a badge.
But we don't base public policy on the worst case scenario.
No one should be convinced yet.
We need real world experience with record of vetted & trained
school personnel carrying concealed, & schools no longer being
attractive soft targets.
Looks like we both have related concerns that encompass both proposals. No silver bullet here, for sure.

Theweirdtophat

We already have guns but limiting them in crime ridden areas often result of gun related crime. The reason it doesn't happen over in Europe where some cities have more gun control is that there isn't as many nut cases there. But any place that has lots of crime, taking guns away does not resolve. Besides, everyone has a right to defend themselves.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I didn't read the entire thread......sorry......but....

fewer guns have not reduced crime in countries that ban them
the violence is simply dealt in some other manner

saw a security vid from Japan
thugs robbed a hotel lobby .....with golf clubs

it was BRUTAL!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

it was BRUTAL!
I would rather square off against Tiger Woods with a 5 iron than a tormented 19 year old with an AR-15.

idav

Being
Premium Member

it was BRUTAL!
Let’s consider another scenario. In situations where a terrorist has to resort to a box cutter they are more easily dealt with than if they had semi automatic weapons in a plane. If a persons own hands are considered deadly weapons that’s also something to consider. I saw a local story where some druggies resorted to bats to attack a home but they went after an old couples home instead of some young whipper snappers that may also have a bat or more. Availability changes the scenarios, may not stop crimes but might just give someone a fighting chance.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
freedom will be no more...war on guns override it, just like war on drugs did but much more intrusive.
Those kids lost more than their freedom last week.
You can have your guns, fill your home with them, but you really should be insured, licensed, have gun safes, have stability and a clear criminal record to hold them. It's nothing to do with freedom.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You can have your guns, fill your home with them, but you really should be insured, licensed, have gun safes, have stability and a clear criminal record to hold them. It's nothing to do with freedom.
It has much to do with freedom.
(I know we're in agreement here, but when you offer something to pounce upon, I'm there.)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Let’s consider another scenario. In situations where a terrorist has to resort to a box cutter they are more easily dealt with than if they had semi automatic weapons in a plane. If a persons own hands are considered deadly weapons that’s also something to consider. I saw a local story where some druggies resorted to bats to attack a home but they went after an old couples home instead of some young whipper snappers that may also have a bat or more. Availability changes the scenarios, may not stop crimes but might just give someone a fighting chance.
so....I want a gun....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trump is saying that he wants more guns in school in the hands of teachers. The stupidity of that is frightening.
It would be unwise to focus upon exact wording from Trump.
I support what I support, which is seldom what's heard from him.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
And

I hope these two facts help dispel some nonsense.
It's funny, there is this myth that we need "good guys with guns to stop bad guys with guns". The problem with that reasoning is the FACT that the world is not black and white. Good guys and bad guys went out with the greatest generation. Now everyone is somewhere in between, and no one is above having a mental breakdown, especially overworked, overburdened and underpaid teachers. Putting more guns in schools is idiotic. Maybe more police officers at schools, but NOT teachers.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
are you saying teachers are stupid?
No, where did you get that from? I said that Trump's idea of having teachers carry concealed weapons is stupid. Teachers are like any other profession. There are great teachers, there are bad teachers, there are ethical teachers, there are cruel teachers, there are mean teachers, there are nice teachers, and there are smart teachers and there are stupid teachers. To even suggest that teachers are all smart or all stupid would be pretty foolish and unrealistic.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What are we supposed to focus on if it isn't his words?
Instead of his exact wording, imagine what actually policy might result.
The "wall" is similar. Many inferred a continuous physical wall. I knew
better, ie, that it would be discontinuous & multi-faceted.
If teachers are allowed to be armed, this would be under great scrutiny,
so I'd expect careful vetting & training.

Phantasman

A gun is a tool. It makes killing a bit easier, some on a greater scale. You want one when it's needed. But who determines when you need it? If someone wants to kill a group of people, they can do it without a gun. So now what comes into the equation to eliminate useless mass murder? Cars? IED? Chemicals?

Thinking that eliminating guns will take care of the problem, just places the problem into a different arena. A nail gun can be modified to kill. If we start with guns, it's be nail guns, chemicals, cars, etc etc that will take the blame. The problem is the person. I would give up the freedom of having the government not spy on me rather than to give up my gun.

So, I'm all for a stricter process in obtaining guns and even making it stronger to get certain guns. But not to deny responsible people from owning guns. Background checks have to be stronger with todays gun abilities. Anyone can still buy a musket, which is what the 2nd amendment was based. The more damage a gun can do, the more responsible a person needs to be to own it.

socharlie

gun regulations would not stopped it.