• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Even more ridiculous is government's advertising that schools are "gun free",
& prohibiting anyone from being able to defend oneself or others. A handgun
is at a disadvantage against an AR15, but an unarmed worker is even worse off.
In my state you can be arrested for just having pepper spray.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Freedom?
That murderer was free to get himself a bunch of guns, are you happy with that kind of freedom?
I never said he was properly exercising his freedom.
But even that has to do with freedom....exercising it, & limitations upon it.
Thus, my pouncement.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I never said he was properly exercising his freedom.
But even that has to do with freedom....exercising it, & limitations upon it.
Thus, my pouncement.
So you can have freedom, but only as long as it's properly exercised freedom?
And there are limitations to your freedom?

Well there's loads of folks who think that possession of a fast fire rifle which they don't actually need, apart from dreaming about fighting some freedom fight against goodness only knows who, is NOT a proper exercising of freedom.

Your pounce........ come on....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you can have freedom, but only as long as it's properly exercised freedom?
And there are limitations to your freedom?

Well there's loads of folks who think that possession of a fast fire rifle which they don't actually need, apart from dreaming about fighting some freedom fight against goodness only knows who, is NOT a proper exercising of freedom.

Your pounce........ come on....
I think you're heading off in a direction I didn't intend.
In post #48, you brought up many things, & said they'v nothing to do with freedom.
They're all related to freedom in one way or another.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
gun regulations would not stopped it.

Gun regulation stopped that crazy from buying a bunch of military machine guns, or anti-tank bazookas. True?

Gun regulations are a sensible limitation to freedom whilst helping to protect from mass killings, they just need tweeking to close some gaps, and semi-auto limitations would not be bad.

Plus you need mandatory criminal checks, stability checks, home security safe and intruder protection and all-risks gun insurance before licence issue.

You see?, you still got freedom.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
In post #48, you brought up many things, & said they'v nothing to do with freedom.

Let's start with 'simple'...... *chuckles* :p
You can't have total freedom. US citizens aren't allowed to avoid the laws of gravity without various machines. And you need to fulfill/surpass masses of obstacles to achieve the right to obtain 'em and use 'em.

And so it could be with some guns. It would be nice if folks could own more simple guns without quite so many requirements. Apart from the fact that black powder is great for blasting stuff, if that killer had had a single action muzzle loading six shooter, how many victims do you think he could have hurt? But he had a fast-fire semi-auto rifle which can empty its magazine as fast as he could pull the trigger.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's start with 'simple'...... *chuckles* :p
You can't have total freedom. US citizens aren't allowed to avoid the laws of gravity without various machines. And you need to fulfill/surpass masses of obstacles to achieve the right to obtain 'em and use 'em.

And so it could be with some guns. It would be nice if folks could own more simple guns without quite so many requirements. Apart from the fact that black powder is great for blasting stuff, if that killer had had a single action muzzle loading six shooter, how many victims do you think he could have hurt? But he had a fast-fire semi-auto rifle which can empty its magazine as fast as he could pull the trigger.
Okey dokey!

socharlie

Gun regulation stopped that crazy from buying a bunch of military machine guns, or anti-tank bazookas. True?

Gun regulations are a sensible limitation to freedom whilst helping to protect from mass killings, they just need tweeking to close some gaps, and semi-auto limitations would not be bad.

Plus you need mandatory criminal checks, stability checks, home security safe and intruder protection and all-risks gun insurance before licence issue.

You see?, you still got freedom.
it depends how determined is the crazy, with right amount of $$$ one can get it, no regulation can stop the transaction.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Exactly!

Fact: 17 people shot dead in a school in Great Britain in 1996 - Dunblane Massacre.

The Dunblane massacre was a multiple murder-suicide which occurred at Dunblane Primary School in the Scottish city of Dunblane on 13 March 1996. Sixteen children and one adult were killed by Thomas Watt Hamilton, before he committed suicide.

Initially:
The Home Affairs Select Committee concluded in 1996 that a ban on handguns would be "panic legislation" and would do little to prevent a repeat of the Dunblane incident. (sound familiar?)

However:
because the Hungerford massacre also involved a legal gun owner killing with his legally-held guns, public feeling had turned against private gun ownership, allowing a much more restrictive ban on handguns to pass. In response to this debate, two new Firearms Acts were passed, which outlawed private ownership of most handguns in Great Britain.

Since 1996 No Mass Shootings in the UK. No school shootings in the UK.

The lesson is clear for the USA if it needs proof.

Quoted this, since it seems to have either been ignored or gone off people's radars. If you want to know if it works to put restrictions on weapons, look at the facts using real life application. Australia banned semis and fast loading guns too after a mass shooting, IIRC. Look at the data for countries with severe gun laws, we don't have this problem. Only the USA has this issue. Ask yourselves why and be honest.

Guns should be limited to target shooting and/or hunting, like it is in most developed countries. I'll repeat again, we don't have this mass shooting problem.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Well pick one.... or all, and let's have a look at them.
And don't forget, you're not free to get a job driving trains, or planes, or doctoring, or carrying out surgeries on folks ( *eek!*) ......... there's lots of 'things' you're not free to do without jumping through various kinds of social hoops.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
it depends how determined is the crazy, with right amount of $$$ one can get it, no regulation can stop the transaction.
Regulation ended sales of machine guns, though. It just allowed existing ones to remain in private hands.

You've got many regulations; you just need a few more.... :D