• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Last mnight, my wife and I went to see "I want Candy" (which I was surprised to see is already in Wikipedia); it was originally released as a PG rating, but was subsequently re-rated to a "15".

Well, I may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but it struck me as a very low rating, considering the content.

It is actually an extremely amusing film - with a good "moral" ending to it - but some of the scenes were definitely not the kind of scenes I would have taken my Mum to watch.....:cover:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Tenacious D : Pick of Destiny
The story of the greatest band in the world and thier rise to power!!
Only the best movie about the best band ever... The D rocks :jam:

Borat
very funny, with some cringe-worthy moments. A good glimpse at where we really stand as a country. ;)

Feast
while not a groundbreaking horror flick, they had some good moments. Definatly worth a watch. Most important you'll be supporting Prodject Greenlight, a sceem by wich indipendant artists get to make a movie from the ground up. :cool:

wa:do

cardero

Citizen Mod
Thank You For Smoking
DVD/Color/ 92 Mins/ R/ 2005
Tobacco industry lobbyist Nick Naylor has a seemingly impossible task: promoting cigarette smoking in a time when the health hazards of the activity have become too plain to ignore. Nick, however, revels in his job, using argument and twisted logic to place, as often as not, his clients in the positions of either altruistic do-gooders or victims. Nick's son Joey needs to understand and respect his dad's philosophy, and Nick works hard to respond to that need without compromising his lack of values. When a beautiful news reporter betrays Nick's sexually-achieved trust, his world seems in danger of collapsing. But there's always one more coffin nail in Nick's pack.

A

angellous_evangellous

Blood Diamond - Leonardo DiCapprio, the pretty-boy plays a rough and tough mercenary. Odd, but he sorta pulls it off. But not really. It's an ok movie.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
DVD/ Color/ 112 Mins./ PG/ 1978
I like to pull this one out every once in awhile. It takes a great set of stones to make a movie where Steve Martin and George Burns sing Beatles songs or have Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees battle the likes of Alice Cooper and Aerosmith. The music’s nice, Barry Gibb is hot, Billy Preston sings Get Back and they showcase an all star cast to try to formulate a story from the catalog of Beatle’s song.

lizskid

BANNED
Floored By Love (2006) (50 min)
Romantic comedy about a young lesbian couple dealing with their parents (one is Chinese, the other JapaneseAmerican. Antoher story line is about a newly out gay son of the neighbors and the return of his gay birth dad.

Cute, and short so it didn't get too stupid. Liked it and will watch again sometime.

PureX

Veteran Member
Saw "Shut Up And Sing", "Babel", "The Departed", and "Syrianna".

"I liked Shut Up And Sing", and "Babel", but was not really all that impressed with "The Departed" or "Syrianna". The Departed was just way too much testosterone and too many "Bastan accents" for me. And "Syrianna" was unnecessarily confusing and ultimately kind of pointless, I thought.

I liked "Babel" because I think it presented an interesting perspective on the way things happen, and the human condition. And I liked "Shut Up And Sing" because it gave us an interesting glimpse behind the scenes of a professional band, and how they had to deal with being caught up in an unexpected controversy.

PureX

Veteran Member
gracie said:
Little Miss Sunshine: weird, touching, hilarious, heartbreaking, cute, grim

all in all, awesome. reminded me very very much of my own family- that's a big part of why i loved it.
I also really liked this movie. But I like most anything that Alan Arkin is in.

PureX

Veteran Member
cardero said:
Mark Of The Devil
DVD/ Color/ 96 Mins./ NR/ 1969
Austria - 1770. A time of superstition and religious persecution. Count Cumberland and his evil henchmen torture and kill innocent citizens accusing them of witchcraft. This original uncut version has lost none of its shocking impact.
I saw this movie at a drive-in way back when I was in high school. *smile*

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
300 - It was a gory, but typical war like quality attributes. Although the style of film was cool. The toning down of colors and making it almost black and white does something unique to movies.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Organ
DVD/ Color/ 105 Mins./ NR/ 1996
Tokyo cops investigate the black market in human organs, only to find themselves on the wrong end of the surgeon's knife! Director Kei Fujiwara's disturbing horror film ignited a wave of controversy in its native Japan. Organ -- which may feature the most graphic depictions of vivisection in cinematic history -- was subsequently censored, though the full version has been restored for release on DVD.

PureX

Veteran Member
I watched "Borat" yesterday, and was not much impressed. There were a few laughs in it, but mostly it was very predictable, and so not very funny. I was intrigued by the other actors in it, though, as they represented the Americans I know so well that I really thought that perhaps they were not actors, but regular folks reacting to "Borat" naturally. Obviously this could not be the case, but whoever those folks were, they sure looked like " regular americans". Which in a way made the film somewhat depressing. The absurdity it was depicting is sadly all too real.

I also rented a movie called "The Proposition". It's a "western" set in Australia. And was not very good. The director was going for some sort of dark ambiance but what he got was a lot of annoyingly bad background music and way too slow a pace. The movie just dragged on and on, and you could see the end coming from miles away, so that made it drag on all the more.

I also re-rented "Monsters", as I hadn't watched it since it came out. I was not as impressed by Charlize Theron's acting this time as I was the first time I saw it, but it's still an amazing acting job, and an amazing movie. I believe it depicts the "truth" of how a woman became a serial killer, and did so in such a believable way that you actually feel sorry for her. And best of all, it shows us how often people who become such monsters are made that way by the accumulated effect of everyone else's "evil". It's really an amazing movie. I highly recommend it to anyone who may not have seen it.

lizskid

BANNED
Julie Johnson (2001) Drama 94 min.

This is a slow moving story of a woman(Lili Taylor), who quit HS to get married, then, then after several years, realizes it is not enough. She becomes fascinated with Science, especially computers and decides to go back to school and change her life. Her best friend (Courtney Love) is inspired by her and follows suit. They admit that they have feelings for one another, and deal with that and it's implications also. Julie is mentored at school by a teacher (Spalding Gray).

Ok, definitely not the romantic comedy with the happy ending, but you feel she will be fine, nevertheless!

cardero

Citizen Mod
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
DVD/ B&W/ 67 Mins./ NR/ 1992
It starts with a bizarre merging of flesh and metal and accelerates into a hyper- hallucinatory state where springs, wires and solder erupt from a man's body. Japanese with English subtitles.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
DVD/ B&W/ 67 Mins./ NR/ 1992
It starts with a bizarre merging of flesh and metal and accelerates into a hyper- hallucinatory state where springs, wires and solder erupt from a man's body. Japanese with English subtitles.
Sounds like Akira to me. The same thing happened to a guy named Tetsuo. Perhaps a knock off or a sequel to Akira?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Sounds like Akira to me. The same thing happened to a guy named Tetsuo. Perhaps a knock off or a sequel to Akira?
I thought the same thing too before I watched it but it seems to be an independant story (possibly inspired) but far removed from the Akira mythos. It also spawned a sequel Tetsuo 2 that I am looking foward to see.

cardero

Citizen Mod
TOP Ten Reasons I Didn’t Particularly Care For The Movie “300”

As for a modern remake Rudulph Mat’e’s “The 300 Spartans” and Walter Hill’s “The Warriors” did it much better.

I understand it was inspired from a graphic novel but it was too “comic-booky”.

It took me three days to wash off all the testosterone.

May have been better filmed as an epic adventure instead of an “MTV video”.

Stiff dialogue and speech patterns that removed me from the time period.

“SEPIA-vision” gives me a headache.

Slow motion to regular film speed. Slow motion to regular film speed. Just pick one!!

I never recovered from my dislike of Frank Miller since Dark Knight 2.

For some reason I kept waiting for it to turn into a musical.

I only counted 176.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Neighbor No. 13: Special Edition
DVD/ Color/ 113 Mins./ R/ 2005
After spending his childhood as the target of playground bullies, Murasaki Juzo (Shun Oguri) grew into a psychologically scarred adult with serious anger issues. So when he discovers that Akai Toru (Hirofumi Arai), the same person who used to torment him as a child, is now living in the apartment above his -- and that he's also his new boss -- something snaps, and he assumes a scary new identity as the vengeful Neighbor No. 13 (Shido Nakamura).

cardero

Citizen Mod
Black Magic
DVD/ Color/ 92 Mins./ NR/ 1975
Newly engaged couple Xu Nuo (Lung Ti) and Quming (Li-Li Li) are terrorized by the seductive widow Luo Yin (Ni Tien) after she consults an evil sorcerer to bind Xu's love to her. But the wicked warlock has something else in mind and double-crosses Luo Yin, creating a terrifying web of hexes and horror in this demented '70s cult classic fully restored and uncut from Hong Kong's famed Shaw Brothers.

Nobody does it like the Shaw Bros.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is an old one, but it is hillarious (even more so when you find out it was based on a true story. If any of you want a real laugh, rent out a copy of "I love you to death"

250px-I_Love_You_to_Death_poster.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.hiernaux/250px-I_Love_You_to_Death_poster.jpg