• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims: Keeping the wife "in line"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Just for the sheer fun of it, pleae Godobeyer, tell me what you think you know about life where I live, and for me, that you have gained from movies. I am in Iowa, the Midwest of the US. That's all you seem to need to know right? Ignoring anything else I may have said to you about my life, what would you presume based upon your vast knowledge from movies?
you joking me ?
unforuntly .I don't know movies about your state
do you anything about muslim countries (culture or tradition ) ?

Enlighten

lol, too easy.

braveheart460.jpg

:D

Where did you get a photo of me :eek:

Draka

Wonder Woman
you joking me ?
unforuntly .I don't know movies about your state
do you anything about muslim countries (culture or tradition ) ?

I'm not claiming to know anything definite about a place if I haven't bothered to really learn, and I certainly don't claim entertainment movies as a basis for knowing what places and cultures are really like. They may give a glimpse, depending on the type of movie, but you can't generalize or stereotype. You need to look for yourself and learn from valid resources.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I'm not claiming to know anything definite about a place if I haven't bothered to really learn, and I certainly don't claim entertainment movies as a basis for knowing what places and cultures are really like. They may give a glimpse, depending on the type of movie, but you can't generalize or stereotype. You need to look for yourself and learn from valid resources.
edited : what mean the valid resources for ? what your farvorate rescource to know the culture or tradition of some one ?
what you know about arabic or islamic culture ?

Enlighten

I am not exagerate , not all the movie represent and show some of american culture and tradition ,

abosulty not living the culture and tradition as the same as you see it through TV or Internet .

What movies do you think accurately represent western culture and tradition?

Trey of Diamonds

I'm not claiming to know anything definite about a place if I haven't bothered to really learn,

No but you are certainly judging them. You have already said that you refuse to even consider the cultural and societal aspects of Islam because you disagree with aspects of that culture. Nor do you acknowledge that your own culture and society had the same aspects that you so despise just a few short decades ago. You created this thread which highlights Islam as nothing but a bunch of wife beaters when the concept of disciplining your wife is prevelant in most religions.

Why not set your emotions to the side and attempt to actually discuss the situation with the goal of invoking change instead of attacking a culture you haven't experienced and creating enemies?

Draka

Wonder Woman
yeah , what you know about arabic or islamic culture ?

Where? The culture of Muslims in Egypt varies from that in Michigan. My point is, you are the one claiming all this stuff about "the west" and say that you get your information from movies. I don't claim to know anything unless I actually get valid information via authentic resources. Such as research magazines, documentaries, and most importantly, asking direct questions of the people actually within a culture or region if possible. The issue here is not what I know about various cultures, I'm not the one making claims about a culture am I? In fact, I am the one, when presented with varying opinions about a subject, started a thread in order to get feedback on a subject so that I may learn about it. The issue here is your claiming various things about "the west" with your only admitted resource being movies. Cowboy movies among those.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
OK this thread has officially become a joke. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic, please.

Godobeyer, I have no doubt that you are a decent person, but your ideas about marriage and relationships leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps once you meet your life partner you'll find out that women do not like to be "corrected" by physical means. Correction doesn't even enter the atmosphere in a healthy relationship.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No but you are certainly judging them. You have already said that you refuse to even consider the cultural and societal aspects of Islam because you disagree with aspects of that culture. Nor do you acknowledge that your own culture and society had the same aspects that you so despise just a few short decades ago. You created this thread which highlights Islam as nothing but a bunch of wife beaters when the concept of disciplining your wife is prevelant in most religions.

Why not set your emotions to the side and attempt to actually discuss the situation with the goal of invoking change instead of attacking a culture you haven't experienced and creating enemies?

I did no such thing. I came across an opinion, claiming to be an Islamic belief, and another Muslim argued it. So I started the thread to see what the general consensus was. I said I could not accept that an entire religion or culture believed a certain way based upon what one individual's opinion was. I said, even if it was a particular culture's belief that I can't just accept it and work to try to change the culture because one can't change a culture from the outside, it must be changed from within and the only way to do that is to change the minds of the individuals within that culture one mind at a time. Since the vast majority of Muslims here are NOT condoning what the one Muslim here has claimed is an Islamic belief then it is obviously not a matter of Islamic culture, but either the individual or their more immediate societal culture.

And what are we supposed to base our morals and our sense of right and wrong upon if we take emotion completely out of the question? If we take out emotion, we take out sympathy and empathy. You may think you can function like that, the majority of humanity cannot.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Where? The culture of Muslims in Egypt varies from that in Michigan. My point is, you are the one claiming all this stuff about "the west" and say that you get your information from movies. I don't claim to know anything unless I actually get valid information via authentic resources. Such as research magazines, documentaries, and most importantly, asking direct questions of the people actually within a culture or region if possible. The issue here is not what I know about various cultures, I'm not the one making claims about a culture am I? In fact, I am the one, when presented with varying opinions about a subject, started a thread in order to get feedback on a subject so that I may learn about it. The issue here is your claiming various things about "the west" with your only admitted resource being movies. Cowboy movies among those.
if you reback at my first comment , you will see that I said movies are one source
the magazines (paper or film) and decumentries (paper or film) are also part of sources . the Televison and Internet are the most important source now to know we each other.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
if you reback at my first comment , you will see that I said movies are one source
the magazines (paper or film) and decumentries (paper or film) are also part of sources . the Televison and Internet are the most important source now to know we each other.

Sorry, brother, but that is wrong.

If we go be television and internet, then Muslims are a bunch of radical, hate-spewing, irrational terrorists.

Does that sound fair to you?

Godobeyer

Premium Member

thanks my friend for this reply .

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Sorry, brother, but that is wrong.

If we go be television and internet, then Muslims are a bunch of radical, hate-spewing, irrational terrorists.

Does that sound fair to you?
edited: no it's not sound fair to me . but I know why the hate us , because they recieve fake image that represent to them by media .

Last edited:

Godobeyer

Premium Member
I know what you want to say , and you know what i want to tell you .
I don't admitted the resource of movies is the ONLY resource .

you make me doubt about Cowboy maybe it's belong to egyptian culture not american :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I know what you want to say , and you know what i want to tell you .
I don't admitted the resource of movies is the ONLY resource .

you make me doubt about Cowboy maybe it's belong to egyptian culture not american :D

Now that you mention it, what image do you have of Egyptian culture from the movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.