• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims: Keeping the wife "in line"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bismillah

Submit
why can a husband hit her? why can't he simply divorce her if he has a problem with her, hmm?
I have stated, multiple times, that the main interpretation is that the husband has the right to "beat them (lightly)", what that means I have already said earlier.

Bismillah said:
I want to point out that many commentators view the beating as symbolic. The use of a toothbrush or a folded handkerchief thrown at a women is hardly the same as a beating which Merriam-Webster defines as
Merriam Webster said:
to hit repeatedly so as to inflict pain
As I said in my earlier post this action is one of emotional expression rather than a physical attack " Firstly, it is important to realize that the traditional view of "lightly hitting" a spouse is viewed as a symbolic action. It is not used as something of physical harm but rather of emotional nature. The nature of the action speaks for itself rather than implying that physical abuse is a prerequisite for it to be effective. Secondly, the Qur'an mandates that spouses must first leave each others' bed meaning that such an action is done after reflection over the conflict limiting powerful and fleeting emotions such as anger or haste pushing a husband to physically harm his wife. Thus what we have is a cultural expression of extreme discontent and anger over a particular issue, but not a mandate for domestic abuse."

nothing you brought up changes that basic disparity.
I would encourage you to reread, again. I have bought up four interpretations, of the four one gives the right to the husband to his wife. Of the remaining three, one views the issue as a legalistic punishment carried out by a court of Shari'ah applied equally to either sex, the secondary views views the issue as the husband's right to seperate himself from his wife (as otherwise a husband does not have the right to boycott his wife outside of the hosue), and the third views the issue as the symbolic remonstrance by the husband using a toothbrush or folded handkerchief.

So yes what I have written does impact the disparity, I would encourage you to look at what I have written and linked rather then rely on loaded words and emotional appeals such as "barbaric".

As to whether a wife has the right to hit her husband, I do not know. What I do know is that this verse was revealed when the women of the Ansar beat their husbands who complained to the Prophet.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
That's kind of what I'm getting. If you look, godobeyer has said that it's not okay to abuse your wife "without reason". In other words, if you feel you have a reason...go ahead and smack her around. Just don't go smacking her around because you're bored, because that's not a real reason. :rolleyes:

you are right , but the reason to the slap/beat is only for insubordinate woman , 99.9 % for women are subordinate to their husband .

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
So which is it? Are you against abuse or for it? All I see is double talk here.
no i am not double talk , you try to general the situation to all the women , but the beat allowed only for unsubordonite woman .

:facepalm: Oh no you didn't. Nope...you did. You just tried to use an example from WWE. First off, this is scripted. Secondly, the women are trained like the men to take bumps and falls and smacks and such in the line of their job. The women can really give as good as they get. It's entertainment and...it's planned. Thirdly, Kurt Angle is a dedicated former Olympic gold medalist, and a good guy. In fact, even though him and his ex-wife divorced, he's actually not only still friends with her, but even good friends with her new husband. So using a video clip of a WWE match trying to say he is an evil man is simply ludicrous. :areyoucra
hhhhhh, don't you like western woman smashed in the floor ? by american "man" ?

Draka

Wonder Woman
you are right , but the reason to the slap/beat is only for insubordinate woman , 99.9 % for women are subordinate to their husband .

no i am not double talk , you try to general the situation to all the women , but the beat allowed only for unsubordonite woman .

Look, you are simply not being consistent. Abuse is abuse. You say you are against abuse, and in the very same breath support "beating" a woman under certain circumstances. What don't you understand? Beating/slapping is abuse under any circumstances. Therefore you cannot be against spousal abuse if you support hitting a woman in any way for any reason. You are quite obviously FOR abusing women. No matter how you try to explain yourself, you are FOR abuse.

hhhhhh, don't you like western woman smashed in the floor ? by american "man" ?
You didn't understand anything I explained about that did you? :areyoucra
It's WWE. The women are trained to do what the men do. Here:
[youtube]Rm2H59dO3Zo[/youtube]
The first woman there picked up the guy and flung him up and back down into her "glam slam". the second girl flung herself into him in the corner. The women fight along with the guys. They are trained to. :rolleyes:

[youtube]u8aC7vy-Tn0[/youtube]
Here, the first woman from the previous video (Beth Phoenix) goes toe to toe with a man.

Just because some of the women act all feminine and helpless doesn't mean they are. It's just part of the character they are to play. WWE is scripted entertainment. They have characters, they play a face or heel, a lot of the moves are planned out, though sometimes they will agree to freestyle some things. Do you understand yet?

Trey of Diamonds

Look, you are simply not being consistent. Abuse is abuse. You say you are against abuse, and in the very same breath support "beating" a woman under certain circumstances. What don't you understand? Beating/slapping is abuse under any circumstances.

Have you considered the fact that not everyone defines abuse the same as you? A slap is not a beating but you are constantly saying that it is in order to make it sound much worse. Many people consider any form of physical discipline to be abuse, but many others do not. I understand that you are one of those who consider it abuse but you should also understand that not everyone agrees with you.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Have you considered the fact that not everyone defines abuse the same as you? A slap is not a beating but you are constantly saying that it is in order to make it sound much worse. Many people consider any form of physical discipline to be abuse, but many others do not. I understand that you are one of those who consider it abuse but you should also understand that not everyone agrees with you.
I'm sorry, but hitting your spouse for being "insubordinate" IS abuse, whether you hit them with a handkerchief or a baseball bat.

Trey of Diamonds

I disagree with the article. I don't know anyone who thinks it's cute, cool, or acceptable for women to slap men. And it doesn't occur more often than the other way around.

Do you disagree that there are those in our society that do think its cute, cool or acceptable?

Trey of Diamonds

I'm sorry, but hitting your spouse for being "insubordinate" IS abuse, whether you hit them with a handkerchief or a baseball bat.

I agree, but the point is that our opinions on the matter are not universal. Different people have different views on what is abuse and what is not. Making some glorious statement that "This is abuse and is wrong" is meaningless since there is no consensus on what abuse is. We can even agree on it here in the US and expect every culture across the globe to just bow down and accept your opinion as the ultimate law. Its simply unrealistic.

Draka

Wonder Woman

Excuse me, but for one, I posted information which backed my stance, and for two...Godobeyer himself used the term "beat". That such things are abuse to him UNLESS the wife is being "insubordinate". He has a conditional on abuse. That's giving himself an excuse to abuse and say it isn't abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.