• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims: Keeping the wife "in line"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey of Diamonds

Excuse me, but for one, I posted information which backed my stance, and for two...Godobeyer himself used the term "beat". That such things are abuse to him UNLESS the wife is being "insubordinate". He has a conditional on abuse. That's giving himself an excuse to abuse and say it isn't abuse.

Riiiiight, because his English is sooooo good that he couldn't possibly be misinterpreted.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Riiiiight, because his English is sooooo good that he couldn't possibly be misinterpreted.

He has been quite clear time and time again on this. What I'm starting to wonder is why you support his view so. Do you feel as he does? That physical "discipline" upon your wife is acceptable if she goes against you somehow? And if not, why do you appear to support the "right" to wife abuse at every turn in this thread?

Trey of Diamonds

He has been quite clear time and time again on this. What I'm starting to wonder is why you support his view so. Do you feel as he does? That physical "discipline" upon your wife is acceptable if she goes against you somehow? And if not, why do you appear to support the "right" to wife abuse at every turn in this thread?

Have I ever said that? My entire point has always been that the issue is not as cut and dried as you would like it to be. There are a multitude of opinions and views on what is considered abuse and what is considered discipline and those opinions and views are often colored by the regions and cultures of the people involved. My exception with you has only been in your refusal to even attempt to see a situation from anothers point of view. I suspect this is a subject you are not able to view objectively.

Trey of Diamonds

o_O

to draw parallels between those things is kinda sickening. when was the last time you felt physically threatened by a woman as a man? I'm not saying it doesn't happen or is impossible, but still, what is wrong with you :/

Who me? Well I would have to go back to one of my crazy girl friends who liked to throw things. She was extremely violent. But I'm not sure what your point is? Are you saying that a woman can't threathen a man or that a man who is threatened by a woman is not a man at all?

As for why I posted the article, I think it highlights the double standard of what is considered abuse and what is not in our society.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Have I ever said that? My entire point has always been that the issue is not as cut and dried as you would like it to be. There are a multitude of opinions and views on what is considered abuse and what is considered discipline and those opinions and views are often colored by the regions and cultures of the people involved. My exception with you has only been in your refusal to even attempt to see a situation from anothers point of view. I suspect this is a subject you are not able to view objectively.

I've been wondering, out of this whole thread, out of all the comments, why you seem to want to pick on and twist mine the most? There are lots of others here posting the exact same opinions and stance as mine. There are plenty of Muslims on this thread standing firm against this type of behavior, yet you have time and again singled me out. Even to go so far as saying that I am attacking Islamic culture when many Muslims on this thread have stated that it is NOT Islamic culture. Why am I supposedly the only one who you seem to have an issue with on this? Honestly, I don't understand this reaction from you. Is it because of my past? What? My opinion doesn't matter in this because I have been abused? My judgement is clouded? What of all the others here who are in agreeance with me? Their opinions are ok, but mine, even though it is the same, is wrong somehow? Is that it?

Trey of Diamonds

I've been wondering, out of this whole thread, out of all the comments, why you seem to want to pick on and twist mine the most? There are lots of others here posting the exact same opinions and stance as mine. There are plenty of Muslims on this thread standing firm against this type of behavior, yet you have time and again singled me out. Even to go so far as saying that I am attacking Islamic culture when many Muslims on this thread have stated that it is NOT Islamic culture. Why am I supposedly the only one who you seem to have an issue with on this? Honestly, I don't understand this reaction from you. Is it because of my past? What? My opinion doesn't matter in this because I have been abused? My judgement is clouded? What of all the others here who are in agreeance with me? Their opinions are ok, but mine, even though it is the same, is wrong somehow? Is that it?

It's your thread and its very long, I haven't been able to keep up with all of it honestly. I don't mean to single you out but you are someone whos opinion I value so I always read your posts. I admit the attacking Islam commit turned out to be out of line, it was in response to this thread highlighting Muslims when all cultures and religions are just as guilty of abuse. But you are right, your tone in the thread has not been as anti-Islam as I first thought. My appologies for that.

I still think this is a subject that you are emotionally vested in and unable to see objectively. I'm not asking you to reconsidered your opinions, just to understand the world may not universally accept them.

Who me? Well I would have to go back to one of my crazy girl friends who liked to throw things. She was extremely violent. But I'm not sure what your point is? Are you saying that a woman can't threathen a man or that a man who is threatened by a woman is not a man at all?

As for why I posted the article, I think it highlights the double standard of what is considered abuse and what is not in our society.
Well said.

I met a man once who had bruises all over his face. He talked about how he loves his wife but she has a split personality, and she has had so much tragedy in her life that he lets her take it out on him. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say.

Abuse is abuse, and women can in fact abuse their husbands / boyfriends.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I simply cannot on a personal level understand abuse. What I can understand is that if you learn nothing else, and it's all you've heard over and over, from father, from friends, from mothers, and you have never seen anything else, then how are we supposed to suddenly expect you to see anything any differently.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but hitting your spouse for being "insubordinate" IS abuse, whether you hit them with a handkerchief or a baseball bat.
look brothers and sisters, for being clearly you considerate the beating insubordonite woman as abuse , me not .

and because of this :

yes there is divers in muslim families and regions, even the same family they are different in treating their wives. ...etc
and every woman had his personality , some are accept to be beated , and some others don't accept , and some other beat their husband :D
subordonite are not mean slave , subordonite some times because she in love with him , or because she had fear and respect him , because he stronger than her .
and muslim girl subordonite because God ask her to don't be insubordonite .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tis all about religion vs secular values.
If the Koran says to beat insubordinate wives, then that's what it says, & that's what they'll do.
But when wife beaters will run afoul of our laws, I say to toss'm in the pokey.
(Same for husband & child beaters.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tis all about religion.
If the Koran says to beat insubordinate wives, then that's what it says, & that's what they'll do.
But it violates secular standards, & wife beaters will run afoul of our laws. Toss'm in the pokey.

Totally agree. Here its called assault, and there is no religion or non-religion in the land that can win a case in court.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Excuse me, but for one, I posted information which backed my stance, and for two...Godobeyer himself used the term "beat". That such things are abuse to him UNLESS the wife is being "insubordinate". He has a conditional on abuse. That's giving himself an excuse to abuse and say it isn't abuse.
beat the insubordinate wife which take her chance to change her habit , it's clearly that you against it , but it's clearly i am for it .

not nom

Abuse is abuse, and women can in fact abuse their husbands / boyfriends.

who said they can't?

but if you think on the whole the situation is even remotely similar, by careful hand picked anecdotes, you're either very young, very ignorant, or utterly ****** in the head - and that's really all there is to say to this BS.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ironically, anybody who would resort to hitting another person for being subordinate, isn't suitable for being in a position of authority anyway.

The type of person who resorts to hitting somebody else is weak and immature, and they're the one who needs someone else to be in charge of them.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Totally agree. Here its called assault, and there is no religion or non-religion in the land that can win a case in court.
we the winner , my god gave solutions to most of problems , which considerate by non-muslims weird actions , but you need to be a muslim to know if its right or wrong .
you don't perjuge a case without take an experience .

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
beat the insubordinate wife which take her chance to change her habit , it's clearly that you against it , but it's clearly i am for it .

What if this insubordunate wife had 6 big brothers, all bigger and meaner looking than you, willing to defend her. Would you still be willing to beat her for her insubordination?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
we the winner , my god gave solutions to most of problems , which considerate by non-muslims weird actions , but you need to be a muslim to know if its right or wrong .
you don't perjuge a case without take an experience .
It depends upon where one lives.
In many countries, the Islamic ideas of right & wrong do not supersede law.
Beat your spouse here & you could be jailed. That's our "right & wrong".

Last edited:
who said they can't?
No one said they can't ... I was just agreeing with Trey and the article he posted that sometimes in our culture (TV, etc.) there is a double standard that implies women slapping men is okay.
not nom said:
but if you think on the whole the situation is even remotely similar, by careful hand picked anecdotes, you're either very young, very ignorant, or utterly ****** in the head - and that's really all there is to say to this BS.
I'm sorry, I don't understand. :eek: What do you mean by "on the whole the situation is even remotely similar"?

Status
Not open for further replies.