• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims, would this stop terrorist attacks from fundamentalists?

Useless2015

And an Islamic State fighter would say the same about you. Why should I take you seriously and not them? Just because you don't think a sane person would think in such doesn't mean it's un-Islamic. What if I'm offering a false dichotomy and you're both exemplars of parallel aspects of Islam?

I don't think so. There are well over 1.7 billion muslims on the planet. 200.000? of them are IS members/fans...How can such a tiny minority represent the majority?

Allah and the Prophet support them.

You should be arrested.

Tomorrows_Child

I've heard a theory out there which seems dubious but interesting, and i'm wondering whether or not this would deter terrorist attacks or attacks on military installations or vehicles.

Basically the idea of the theory was to place Qurans all over vehicles and building, so that way in order to attack something or blow someone up, the Islamic terrorist would be destroying hundreds of Qurans via burning, or bullets, or whatever. I mean even allegations that someone burned a Quran in the middle east could potentially get you stoned to death. Do you think this would deter attacks at the very least or would they just ignore the books and attack anyways? I seriously don't know because i've heard that Muslims take Quran destruction very seriously as one of the largest offenses and blasphemies possible.

Quite literally the most ridiculous idea ever and this isn't coming from me as a Muslim, it's coming from me simply being a sane individual.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Subjective.
It's not subjective. I've known several Muslims, and not a single one of them espouse this fanaticism you speak of. Just one of them had a strong conservative approach, and the only difference between him and conservative Christians saying we need Biblical law as legal law is he was getting his idea of religious law from both the Bible and Quran. They aren't going to bomb anyone or stone adulterers, but many would needlessly loose out on fundamental rights.
Do you consider all YEC to be following fanaticism? and if so what makes these people any different? They are not.
Fundamental, but not fanatic. They aren't killing people, they aren't a danger to public safety, but they do have a literal interpretation of the Bible, and they do try and sway public education and legal legislation to favor their own personal religious interpretation.

Tomorrows_Child

Actually I was thinking more about the posts use_your_brain who claims to be Muslim and supports Daesh. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable might question his insight or lack thereof.

Ahh, I see. Sorry, when I saw you tag me in this thread, I just read the OP, considering that's what this thread should be about.

I don't know who this guy is but any educated person, on the issue of Daesh, their history and the history of modern "Islamic" terrorists, should know that these groups are not Muslims so a professed Muslims should be the last person to believe in them or support them.

Then again, the internet is full of impostors.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What exactly should be understood by a claim that Daesh / ISIS / ISIL are not Muslims?

I can think of two basic interpretations. One is ludicrous, the other only somewhat problematic and plagued by the need of practical action.

Shadow Wolf

That is not the difference between the two :rolleyes:
We can find lots of other differences, but the primary one that matters is YECs are not violent. Sure, education is very important, but we don't have to worry about a suicide bombing at science-class debate.
And if you are trying to raise the religious issue, many Muslims are YEC, and many Christians and Muslims are Old Earth Creationists. But, anyways, I'm sure the abortion issue has had more blood spilled than the creation issue.

outhouse

Atheistically
but the primary one that matters is YECs are not violent

So what? violence levels have NOTHING to do with the levels of fanaticism or fundamentalism.

Fact is they both adhere to these. Islam just requires it in all of their doctrines, as to where its voluntary in Christianity for this sect to pervert the interpretation into something so far away from education and knowledge.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm sure the abortion issue has had more blood spilled than the creation issue.

I'm not even going there.

We are talking about levels of living far away from academic reality.

Its a level one places themselves in, where they place more importance on the supernatural existing, over what is actually known with certainty about nature.

Many places there are facts they refuse, let alone the certainties they fight tooth and nail against.

wildly excessive or irrational devotion, dedication, or enthusiasm

In short, these "ideals" represent neither principles nor pragmatism

Shadow Wolf

Fact is they both adhere to these. Islam just requires it in all of their doctrines, as to where its voluntary in Christianity for this sect to pervert the interpretation into something so far away from education and knowledge.
How can it be required of Islam to believe the same thing when not all Muslims believe the same thing? You keep trying to say Muslims are "required" to be fanatics, but the ones I've known are not. How can they believe the things you say they are required to believe and accept, and function as productive members of society, teach us in our universities, heal us in our hospitals, and work together as a community of believers and non-believers alike?

outhouse

Atheistically
How can it be required of Islam to believe the same thing when not all Muslims believe the same thing?

How can it be that all YEC believe almost the same thing when not all YEC Christians believe the same thing.

You keep trying to say Muslims are "required" to be fanatics

You keep trying to say YEC are not fanatics ?

Maybe you have no clue what is or is not required to be "muslim"

How can they believe the things you say they are required to believe and accept, and function as productive members of society, teach us in our universities, heal us in our hospitals, and work together as a community of believers and non-believers alike?

Maybe you don't know the definition of fanaticism and fundamentalism. It is obvious you don' know the definition despite that I posted it for you.

Nothing in the definition means they cannot exist in society :rolleyes:

wildly excessive or irrational devotion, dedication, or enthusiasm

In short, these "ideals" represent neither principles nor pragmatism

outhouse

Atheistically
If all YEC are fanatics because of their devotion to religion and refusal of academic knowledge.

Why do you not consider muslims the same?

Shadow Wolf

How can it be that all YEC believe almost the same thing when not all YEC Christians believe the same thing.
Not all YEC Christians believe the exact same thing, but what makes them YECs is that they all believe the Earth was created 6 to 10 thousand years ago with all life forms being created in their present form. But not all Christians are YECs and not all Muslims are YECs. The fact that there are Sunni, Sufi, Kharijite, Ahmadiyya, and Shia Muslims, along with various sub groups and even more sects than those proves that not all Muslims believe the same things.
Maybe you have no clue what is or is not required to be "muslim"
You are apparently not aware, because you keep attaching things to it that aren't required. Really, all that is required to be a Muslim is to be submissive and obedient to the god of Abraham.
You keep saying they are all fundamentalists, they are all fanatics, and they all believe the same things, but that is so very easily proven false, so easily demonstrated to be illogical, and so wrong that I don't understand how you can't see why it is wrong.

Really, all that is required to be a Muslim is to be submissive and obedient to the god of Abraham.

I know many Muslims who are neither. All that is required is to identify oneself as Muslim.

There are cultural Muslims, agnostic Muslims, 'sort of' Muslims, etc.

I agree with your overall argument [this actually makes it stronger], you are just being a touch conservative with your definition. I would imagine it excludes double figure percentages of Muslims worldwide.