• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Frubal?

Would you like this new frubal?

• Yes! Add a prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No, we have enough as it is.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Let's trade the angry frubal for the prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Most people on this forum know who the atheists are, though, and it's not hard to understand use of a prayer rating in a metaphorical way. I'm also not sure why there's so much upset at being mistaken for offering prayers. I mean, again, it is a religious forum, people are going to offer prayers. If you are offended at being construed as praying, that sounds like an issue with you, not prayer.
Why not offer both, ie, prayer and wishing well?

BTW, I think you'd get much argument if we were
to really discuss this being a "religious forum".
Most of it is otherwise, the name notwithstanding.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see where that is coming from if someone feels insincere about giving a rating that could be taken as expressing something they don't believe in.

I'm also in favor of adding a "Prayer" rating, so I think that perhaps it would be best to add both that and a "Best wishes" one.
I'm assuming most people would use the rating without actually praying, though. This happens all the time on Discord and WhatsApp. It's just used, even by me, for various reasons ranging from prayer to good luck to get well soon etc.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not offer both, ie, prayer and wishing well?
Because we're trying to limit the amount of ratings lest it become absurd and the forum starts having issues with it. Some ratings also don't count towards likes count, such as the angry frubal.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm assuming most people would use the rating without actually praying, though. This happens all the time on Discord and WhatsApp. It's just used, even by me, for various reasons ranging from prayer to good luck to get well soon etc.

I'm sure that some people wouldn't mind using it even though they don't believe in prayers, but there are others who would, as some members have pointed out in this thread.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
....it would cause discomfort for some that
it could be seen as offering a prayer.
Just as it would cause discomfort for some who would want to offer a prayer but be stuck with the option of a secular frubal.

So again, why would a secular frubal be best. Are you saying it's best to favor the wishes of those who are discomforted by prayer?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can see where that is coming from if someone feels insincere about giving a rating that could be taken as expressing something they don't believe in.
In grade school in the 50s here, prayer was compulsory
in public schools. I refused. Courts here still have an
oath to God for truthful testimony. I refuse.
Those & other experiences with the faithful drive my
loathing of this pervasive god-in-everything approach.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I'm also in favor of adding a "Prayer" rating, so I think that perhaps it would be best to add both that and a "Best wishes" one.

I actually think separate "Prayer" and "Best wishes" ratings make the most sense, and having both.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because we're trying to limit the amount of ratings lest it become absurd and the forum starts having issues with it. Some ratings also don't count towards likes count, such as the angry frubal.
The <angry> frubal doesn't count!?
It's one of my favorite awards in the joke threads,
eg, when @Wu Wei insults me with barbs like
being well groomed.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually think separate "Prayer" and "Best wishes" ratings make the most sense, and having both.
One of our issue was adding too many ratings though. We were aiming at trying to limit them, hence the vote to remove the angry rating and replace it with the prayer rating.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just as it would cause discomfort for some who would want to offer a prayer but be stuck with the option of a secular frubal.
I was unaware that the faithful would be discomforted
by an expression that isn't religious. Go figure.
So again, why would a secular frubal be best. Are you saying it's best to favor the wishes of those who are discomforted by prayer?
I've nothing to add.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
One of our issue was adding too many ratings though. We were aiming at trying to limit them, hence the vote to remove the angry rating and replace it with the prayer rating.

That could be an issue.

Although, the "angry" frubal makes a lot of sense for the Forums Games board.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was unaware that the faithful would be discomforted
by an expression that isn't religious. Go figure.

For many religious people, prayer is the highest form of good wishes that they can offer, so I can also see why some would feel discomfort about an expression that they would perceive as a toned-down version of their sentiment.

(Source: I was religious for many years and also know many devout religious people. I can relate to "both sides" in this thread.)