• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Carolina Magistrate refuses to marry interracial couple.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I hope you're right.
Honestly, I have a lot of insight into this. I grew up in a very conservative family. I'm really kind of a prude.
I also spent a lot of time volunteering at tasks that amounted to just listening to people talk about themselves. The overwhelming majority of gay people started out as ordinary people. But various events in their lives when they were young left them often very messed up. Events that can be collectively described as homophobia. Without that in peoples lives I think most gay people continue to be pretty ordinary.
But I can't be absolutely sure because I have never lived in a world that wasn't pretty homophobic. But things have improved enormously in my lifetime and I expect them to continue.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Well, personally speaking, while I find lesbian behavior to be deviant and sinful, it is not nearly as disgusting as homosexual behavior. But you're right, sin is sin.
Wait...do you know what a lesbian is?
Not something to be proud of in my opinion.
I was speaking factually. Some sins bring me much pleasure and great joy. Giving oral sex, the occasional drunkenness and getting high, and I love eating many foods, such as shrimp, that the Bible forbids. I like my tattoos and piercings, I like the occasional rend in my clothes, some of my favorite clothes are of mixed fabrics, and it doesn't bother me if I work on the Sabbath.

JoStories

If I were to believe it is proper to murder someone, and if I were willing to pay the consequences for committing a murder, I would do it.
If that is the case, then you have absolutely NO idea what Christ taught nor do you follow His teachings. And I almost never capitalize the pronoun for your version of God but in this case, it seemed appropriate. You are not Christian and your ideals are much closer to those of Anton LeVay, the deceased leader of The Satanic Church.

JoStories

4. Spiritual issues are extremely important to a vast majority of our society, and the stress imposed on religious people by forcing them to accept and/or support homosexual practice and/or intimidate them into silence harms a person's spiritual and emotional health.

Here is another example of how weak your faith is. If one has faith in God, and it is true faith that is unwavering, that faith cannot be shaken by anything. Yet, here, you state that another person, of no relation to you and having no impact on your life, will damage this alleged faith. That is not faith at all. It is faith built as a house on sand.

JoStories

There is always the possibility that I might influence him.

Ironically, many here would think my influence to be even worse.
But they can go suck eggs.
Yeah, I said it.
Report me.
I personally hope that no one would report you because I completely agree with you Revolting. I believe we must continue to voice our opinions, no matter the opposition. To remain silent is to accept defeat and we would never have won the battle for SSM. I, for one, stand with you my dear. Kudos on your efforts.

JoStories

Not something to be proud of in my opinion.
Why? These alleged 'sins' are based on something written 2000 years ago and the issues then would not be issues today. Eating pork then was a problem due to lack of refrigeration. That is not the problem today. Same with shellfish. You are presuming that these things are 'sin' in the first place. I don't believe in the concept of sin at all. Sin, IMO, is a man-made concept to try to keep people in line. These sins are arbitrary concepts. The Bible condoned concubines. Are you fine with that? The Bible condoned killing people, large groups of people and given what you have written here, I assume you are good with that too. I see nothing wrong with enjoying one's life. You are free to tap dance to an antiquated book if that works for you. Do not expect me to follow something so asinine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I personally hope that no one would report you because I completely agree with you Revolting. I believe we must continue to voice our opinions, no matter the opposition. To remain silent is to accept defeat and we would never have won the battle for SSM. I, for one, stand with you my dear. Kudos on your efforts.
I only jest that some wag might think my influence worse than fighting gay rights.
Everyone puts me on a pedestal.
I know that (even if it's just to point up me kilt & laugh).

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I believe it is.

You've probably noticed by now that it's not.

I really don't care how long lesbians live.

Well you should, because it contradicts your assertions. Then you only care about how long male homosexuals live and what kind of sex they’re having? Why one and not the other?

Well, personally speaking, while I find lesbian behavior to be deviant and sinful, it is not nearly as disgusting as homosexual behavior. But you're right, sin is sin.

I’m not saying sin is sin. I’m pointing out the problem with your argument that homosexuals don’t live as long as heterosexuals. If you have to ignore female homosexuals in order to make the argument, then the argument doesn’t work.

I am also against promiscuity, and I do know the difference.

If you do know the difference, then you know that your argument fails when you take into account both male and female homosexuality, rather than just focusing on the former, as you have done.

I believe homosexuality adversely affects society. You don't have to agree.

But you can’t really say how? Just the stress thing you mentioned earlier? And of course you pointed out that spiritual issues should be respected just as long as a person isn’t gay.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Yes that would not weigh in to my own evaluation whatsoever.

It should if you’re making statements like this one:

Legalizing gay marriage in virtually heterosexual society means having the morals of the minority forced upon the majority.”

Yes of course, might makes right.

Are you serious??

It's not so much me worrying about me. I'm worried about you.

Don’t worry about me. Just turn the channel, realize the world doesn’t revolve around your religious beliefs and move on with your life.

You asked for evidence, I gave you evidence.

I didn’t ask you for evidence. I asked you why you can’t just turn the channel, or not see a movie at the movie theatre like everybody else does when something they don’t enjoy is playing.

And again, the vast majority of TV shows, movie and literature still mainly depict heterosexual relationships. So I’m sure you can easily find something else to read or watch without getting upset that a tiny portion of movies, books and television depict homosexual relationships.

If they were to repent from their sins, they would not be marginalized.

You need to realize that everybody doesn’t have to bow down to your religious beliefs. Some of us don’t believe in it. And we also don’t believe in marginalizing, shaming and demonizing people who aren’t hurting anyone.

Nope, still there.

Then go get a massage or something.

I’m still trying to figure out how anything is being forced on you.

Well I am of course. And it is you who is trying to intimidate me.

I’m asking you to justify your position to me. That’s what we do here. If I were trying to intimidate you into silence would I engage you in conversation? Think about it.

Of course they are human beings. And I wouldn't expect you to understand my perspective.
Great, so let’s treat them like human beings instead of pariahs.

You do know that many gay teens have been committing suicide as of late because they are being demonized, shamed and marginalized by certain members of society, right?

Because homosexuality is deviant behavior and detrimental to all of society.

Then please explain how. If all you have is “it stresses me out” then I don’t think you have an argument. Lots of things stress me out, but I don’t bother making it everyone else’s problem.

I think you are wrong.

Then please explain how they are even remotely similar.

You're right...I don't.

I find that very sad. If that’s what Christianity promotes, I want nothing to do with it. I care about human beings much more than that.

JoStories

I only jest that some wag might think my influence worse than fighting gay rights.
Everyone puts me on a pedestal.
I know that (even if it's just to point up me kilt & laugh).
Care if I sneak a peak under that kilt myself?? LOL...you are one of the funniest here and I love that. Kiss kiss darling.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Care if I sneak a peak under that kilt myself?? LOL...you are one of the funniest here and I love that. Kiss kiss darling.
Peak'n is not for the faint of heart.
It's like watch'n haggis be'n made.
So I keeps a wary out for sight seers.
Btw, we are here to have fun, even with people who dare disagree with us!

Sonofason

I'm pretty conservative on that subject myself. I see lots of problems with polygamy. But the only legal issue I see is recognition of such, which I think is a bad idea for various reasons.

If anything I would raise the legal age of consent. Too many people get married and start having babies when they can't even take care of themselves.
Tom
Right. Aside from the fact that I believe the Bible is quite specific about homosexuality, I personally have issues with the whole concept. I just don't want to be subjected to it. I don't want to see grown men kissing. I don't want to know or have to think about what two male lovers might be doing, whether privately or not. I just think its one of the most disgusting things that exists on the planet. And I don't want it existing. And I don't want anyone else to be subjected to it either. Couldn't really care less how the homosexuals feel about it. It's an abomination to God, and its an abomination to me as well. They'll just have to get used to how I feel about it, cause I'm not going to stop expressing my feelings about it.

Sonofason

Honestly, I have a lot of insight into this. I grew up in a very conservative family. I'm really kind of a prude.
I also spent a lot of time volunteering at tasks that amounted to just listening to people talk about themselves. The overwhelming majority of gay people started out as ordinary people. But various events in their lives when they were young left them often very messed up. Events that can be collectively described as homophobia. Without that in peoples lives I think most gay people continue to be pretty ordinary.
But I can't be absolutely sure because I have never lived in a world that wasn't pretty homophobic. But things have improved enormously in my lifetime and I expect them to continue.
Tom
I agree. Most homosexuals have had messed up lives. Guess we can't blame them. Certainly it's not genetic. I mean, no one's born that way, so it must be caused by an awfully messed up upbringing. It's a shame they all reject God. He could help. But they don't want His help. Too bad.

Sonofason

Wait...do you know what a lesbian is?

I was speaking factually. Some sins bring me much pleasure and great joy. Giving oral sex, the occasional drunkenness and getting high, and I love eating many foods, such as shrimp, that the Bible forbids. I like my tattoos and piercings, I like the occasional rend in my clothes, some of my favorite clothes are of mixed fabrics, and it doesn't bother me if I work on the Sabbath.
I'll pray for you.

Sonofason

If that is the case, then you have absolutely NO idea what Christ taught nor do you follow His teachings. And I almost never capitalize the pronoun for your version of God but in this case, it seemed appropriate. You are not Christian and your ideals are much closer to those of Anton LeVay, the deceased leader of The Satanic Church.
And apparently you are clueless with regard to the English language. Let me help you with a simple word that even small children understand.
here are definitions of the simple word "if":
- in the event that
- allowing that
- on the assumption that
- something that could either happen or not happen

Here is an example:
If I were a homosexual, I would be an abomination to God, but since I am not a homosexual, I am not an abomination to God.