• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio sheriff tells residents to "write down the addresses" of Harris-Walz supporters

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Most people see racism and xenophobia as basically the same. Which is why I guess the very first definition that popped up for me listed them both in the same sentence, and also listed prejudice. I am tired of being labeled as a racist when I definitely am not one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And I posted this:

xenophobia​

noun​

1. an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers:
    Xenophobia and nationalism can be seen as a reaction to the rise of globalization.
  2. fear or dislike of the customs, dress, etc., of people who are culturally different from oneself:
    Learning a foreign language can help to overcome xenophobia

Which ties directly into what you were saying about people being fearful of other peoples' cultures.
Hence the reason I posted it in response to your post where you stated that.

And you're trying to quibble about whether it's racist or not in nature? I don't know. But it's xenophobic, according to my understanding and definition of xenophobia. Your "direct tie to racism" isn't included in your definition, but rather in the sample sentence written underneath. And notice in that sample sentence, it's used separately from the word "xenophobia" as though they're two different things.

"the resurgence of racism and xenophobia"

See?
Sometimes there is culture clash.
As a commercial landlord, I've dealt with people from many
different countries. Some Mid-East countries have a culture
such that negotiation begins after the lease is signed, ie, they
don't honor the terms. This is also well known here regarding
tenants from NYC...called "Area Code 212 Syndrome".

Pogo

Most people see racism and xenophobia as basically the same. Which is why I guess the very first definition that popped up for me listed them both in the same sentence, and also listed prejudice. I am tired of being labeled as a racist when I definitely am not one.
OK, agreed, but you would do well to understand that the more accurate classification of xenophobic is unfortunately the better label and claiming success because you are not racist is damning yourself with faint praise.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There were too many refugees in too short a time. Neither party had time to acclimate.

Growing up in Scarborough, Ontario in the 80s and 90s, our community had so many Sri Lankan refugees that a third of the students at my high school were ESL. At the same time, there were so many newly-arrived Roma refugees that Immigration booked out every motel room in town to house them all.

This influx changed the character of the community... and that's okay.

Convenience stores turned into small South Asian groceries. Suddenly, we were celebrating things like Tamil Heritage Day. School calendars would list the dates for Diwali the way they would for Rosh Hashanah and Ramadan.

It's okay if immigration changes a community even when that immigration is under the best of circumstances. But when we're talking about refugees, we have an obligation to help, and IMO it's unethical to refuse help for reasons like needing "time to acclimate." These are people who are at risk of death or extreme hardship if we don't let them in, so we let them in.

Last edited: