• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Maya3

Just a little story to tell ... my neighbours across the back fence are currently (it's a rental house) Mormon missionaries. There are 4 young men, one from Idaho, one from California, one from Ottawa, and one from Brazil, in various stages of their 2 year missionary stint. So we talk across the fence, and a couple of days back they came over to help me move some roses.

Boss and I decided to have them over for a meal, just cause it's the neighbourly thing to do, and because we love all our fellow humans. They're nice polite young men all either 19 or 20, and have to generally cook for themselves, so we figured we'd give them a break, and treat them.

It was a lot of fun. One guy is a football player, (full scholarship when he goes back home) I learned a lot about that. The Brazilian was really interesting. He really seemed to enjoy the mangoes we bought. For some it was their first foray into Indian food. We served papadam, mushroom curry, potato curry, carrot raita, dal, chickpea curry, hot zucchini curry, and rice, than had mangoes and ice cream for dessert. They stayed a couple of hours and we talked some about life as a Morman missionary, the rules and all that, and they asked a few basic questions about Hinduism. There was no proselytizing on either side, just humans getting together over food. For one chap, it was his first vegetarian meal ever. They said they had a good time, and I certainly did. A couple good clean jokes too.

This is how interfaith relations should go, I think.

That is so nice, what a wonderful story.
What kind of questions did they ask about Hinduism?

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
we bought five kilos for a rupee. Now it could cost 40 ruppes a kilo at times. :)

Still cheaper than here ... ours has to be driven up from California. But 5k for a rupee, what was the conversion ratio back then to American dollars? For readers, now it's around 1 dollar to 50 rupees, so 5k of zuchini was worth 2 cents.

@Maya ... basic stuff, are we all vegetarian, vows, suggestions for living, how did I become a Hindu, can you convert, etc., but mostly I just explained my personal view. Like me, they are pretty much singularly focused people.

But I learned some stuff too ... like that there is an 18 000 BYU campus in Rexburg, Idaho. One of the young men described it as the find-a-spouse place. Not too sure how accurate he was though.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Still cheaper than here ... ours has to be driven up from California. But 5k for a rupee, what was the conversion ratio back then to American dollars? For readers, now it's around 1 dollar to 50 rupees, so 5k of zuchini was worth 2 cents.
The conversion now is around 60 rupees to a US dollar. That was in 1959. I won't give the rates of other food items, only that Rasgollas were half a rupee for a kilo. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The conversion now is around 60 rupees to a US dollar. That was in 1959. I won't give the rates of other food items, only that Rasgollas were half a rupee for a kilo. :)

Same for many 'developing' nations. In Mauritius in 1986 I could get a whole cauliflower for 5 cents Canadian. Then sugar became mechanized, garment industry left for cheaper (labor) pastures, and the main industries became International banking and tourism, so now food there reflects Europe. One of the nasty side-effects of tourism on the local economy is prices. Fortunately many of the locals know how to get around that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Another announcement ... daughter just called, at 12:03 just after midnight, I became a grandfather again. Mom and daughter are doing fine. Another jiva has a place of residence for awhile.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Congratulations, Vinayaka. And best wishes for the new arrival and the family. Daughters are a delight. My grand-daughter has been called for orientation at Christian Medical College for Dentistry in Ludhiana. Closer to Delhi. The other option till now was Manipal University, which is quite far from Delhi.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Another announcement ... daughter just called, at 12:03 just after midnight, I became a grandfather again. Mom and daughter are doing fine. Another jiva has a place of residence for awhile.

Let's celebrate with a pûja !

Maya3

Yay!!!
Congratulations!

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yay!!!
Congratulations!

Maya

Thank you. We are going over soon. My daughter is Celiac's, and definitely not trusting the hospital cafeteria, so we're taking a bunch of food. Apparently she's 'starving'. Baby, on the other hand was a natural. It took her 5 minutes to find the right place, and then she fed for about 3 hours through the night. Amazing how that works.

I'm always just in awe of birth, the 5 times I got to witness it first hand, and then this too. This daughter was the one that came to India with me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Zuchhini and gram dal preparation this evening, porridge style, nicely made, relished it. 33 cents a kilo. Another dish is pumpkin and gram dal made in a similar way. My wife will go to SiddhiVinayaka in Mumbai if my grand-daughter gets an admission in Delhi.
After birth, it happens with clock-work precision. Two hours and she will cry.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
@ JayaB

Hey, can you help me ? Can you please do a quick,
very brief summary of what is being rapped about
in this song ? I've always loved the beat/instrumental;
in fact, it's one of my top 5 most favorite beats/
instrumentals (i.e., without the rap, just the beat),
but have no idea what the artists are rapping about :p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]zTQSiZt79J8[/youtube]​

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So I've had the opportunity to hold my granddaughter a couple of times. She's quite the eater, and babies that small are just totally amazing. I just stare at her and feel Siva's presence.

Maya3

So I've had the opportunity to hold my granddaughter a couple of times. She's quite the eater, and babies that small are just totally amazing. I just stare at her and feel Siva's presence.

:)

That is wonderful!
I have two Grandbabies myself, a grandniece and a grandnephew. I love them!

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Parvati's, Vinayaka. :) Himalaya and King Janaka must also have felt the same when they held their daughters in their hands.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From the mouths of wee 'uns...

So my other granddaughter who is 4 goes to visit her new cousin. She asks her aunt (new Mommy), "Does the baby like my shoes?"

Aunt says, "Yes, she also loves your skirt!" Four-year-olds basically have one person in mind.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I think this place could use some more murthis and decorations. Therefore, give me three or so days, I will be give my altar for the Ashram.

It will come with the following: Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesha, Sri Hanuman, Lord Narasimha, Maa Lakshmi, Maa Saraswati, and Buddha.

Any place could always have more presence of the Devas. :)