• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Maya3

I have never seen a Buddha on a Hindu shrine, but I don't get around much.

I have one, a tiny (smaller than a thumb) Buddha I bought in China many years ago.
We have several regular ones at my real life Ashram too.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have one, a tiny (smaller than a thumb) Buddha I bought in China many years ago.
We have several regular ones at my real life Ashram too.

Maya

Well I guess I'll just have to visit one day, and change my experience.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Not on my Hindu Shrine, but we have a Buddha in our backyard and we have a collection of Indian, Thai, Cambodian, Lankan Buddhas at various places in the house gathered from travels and from local "Enlightenment" type shops where I live. For exsmple, we have a Reclining Buddha made of some sort of pottery/clay/glass in our living room that is quite nice. I like the peaceful projection of the meditating Buddha, reminds me of Ashen Lord Shiva meditating.

Om Namah Sivaya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have never seen a Buddha on a Hindu shrine, but I don't get around much.
There is a Buddha temple (known as Buddha Vihara) within the precincts of Laxmi-Narayan Temple (Birla Mandir), New Delhi, which houses this beautiful idol. Very peaceful; separate, because otherwise Buddhists may cry 'Big Brother'. The main temple has many sculptural/paint depictions of Buddha but as far as I remember, no idols or separate enclosures.
Buddha idol in Khajuraho temple.

Budha_statue_in_a_Budha_Vihar_near_Birla_Mandir_Delhi.JPG
sitting-buddha-17516127.jpg

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Aupmanyav

This golden coloured murti of Buddha shown above is an EXACT copy of a stone Buddha I saw at Sarnath, India. It is absolutely my favorite image of the Buddha and was in the Deer Park where Siddhartha gave a famous sermon. I saw (and even touched) this original one which was sitting on the floor of a small adobe like building in Sarnath about 30 years ago. I am saying, I saw the original one that later copies were made.

Om Namah Sivaya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Must have been a wonderful experience, ShivaFan, though I hope the Archaeological Survey of India has taken better care of it. I like that Birla Mandir made a separate temple for Buddha, it is much peaceful there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"B. R. Ambedkar, denied that Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu. Among the 22 vows he gave to the neo-Buddhists, the 5th vow is "I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda."

In 1999, at the Maha Bodhi Society in Sarnath, Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati of Kanchi matha and Vipassana Acharya, S. N. Goenka after having a mutual discussion, gave a joint communiqué agreeing on the following three points.

1. Due to whatever reason some literature was written in India in the past in which the Buddha was declared to be a re-incarnation of Vishnu and other various things were written about him, this was very unpleasant to the neighbouring countries. In order to foster friendlier ties between Hindus and Buddhists we decide that whatever has happened in the past should be forgotten and such belief should not be propagated.
2. A misconception has spread in the neighbouring countries that the Hindu society of India is organising such conferences to prove its dominance over the followers of the Buddha.To forever remove this misconception we declare that both Vedic and Samana are ancient traditions of India (Vishnu belongs to the vedic tradition and Buddha belongs to the Samana tradition). Any attempt by one tradition to show it higher than the other will only generate hatred and ill will between the two. Hence such a thing should not be done in future and both traditions should be accorded equal respect and esteem.
3. Any body can attain high position in the society by doing good deeds. One becomes a low person in society if one does evil deeds. Hence anybody by doing good deeds and removing the defilement’s such as passion, anger, arrogance, ignorance, greed, jealousy and ego can attain a high position in society and enjoy peace and happiness.
4. We agree on all the three things mentioned above and wish that all the people of India from all the traditions should have cordial relations and the neighbouring countries should also have friendly relations with India."
Gautama Buddha in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wish somebody should have told Rajaraja Chola II not to put a Buddha sculpture in a Shiva temple. :sarcastic

330px-8.Tharasuram_Airavatesvara_Temple.jpg
450px-Darasuram_temple_front_view.jpg

"Airavatesvara Temple is a Hindu temple of Dravidian architecture located in the town of Darasuram, near Kumbakonam in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. This temple, built by Rajaraja Chola II in the 12th century CE is a UNESCO World Heritage Site."

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Yaaay, non DIR members post and a debate in the virtual ashram !

We can call that a nice combo.

I'll make dosa to celebrate this

Last edited:

Maya3

Vinayaka!!! Vinayaka!!! Maya runs out of the kitchen looking all over for Vinayaka...

I just noticed that you have these things next to your name, one says 10k on it. Are you a runner?!

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
lol ... hold your cursor above them. I am no runner. These knees are shot ... kaput ... done for.

I am up for tea.

Maya3

lol ... hold your cursor above them. I am no runner. These knees are shot ... kaput ... done for.

I am up for tea.

So sorry about your knees.
But why do you have a 10k medal next to your name? Oh NOW I see it! Ah I thought you were a runner like me, I got all excited, and I was wondering why I never noticed before.

Here have some tea, do you want honey in it?

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had some masala in RT earlier. Boss is practicing, cause we found some neighbours who sometimes come to the temple we go to,and she's planning on inviting them over for tea in a few weeks.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have never put honey in tea. First thing, it is quite costly here, and secondly, there is no guarantee of purity. Does it taste very different from sugar?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have never put honey in tea. First thing, it is quite costly here, and secondly, there is no guarantee of purity. Does it taste very different from sugar?

Honey taste differently from honey, depending on flowers the bees were using. Generally, in my experience, honey from a tropical area has a stronger taste than ones from temperate climate.