• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think the arms of Shiva in the statue are not in proportion, they should have been heavier, more muscular.

Maya3

As far as I know, either you need to have them on internet (you can then add the URL) or need to upload them in an album in your profile page and then get the URL. If there is a better way, members can inform me. I like to put images in my post.
Note: They better not be heavy BMP files but JPEGs or PNGs, otherwise they will take longer to come up.

I tried it didn't work, it posted a link but it had my friends facebook info on it so I deleted it.

I don't understand :(

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I tried it didn't work, it posted a link but it had my friends facebook info on it so I deleted it.

I don't understand :(

Maya

I don't know how either, unless it's a copy-paste, and the image is small enough, and I don't get the message 'image is too large'. :)

So we can be the no-picture team.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I went to a local Indian grocery store looking for Mala beads (which they didn't have), and came out with a new Kurta.

I'll post pics later. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is there a lining inside? How come there are two colors? Indian Kurta is never all open in the front, only till the breast bone. Here is a Lucknow kurta, hand-embroidered all over. But it does not suit colder climes.

11025-1.jpg

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Is there a lining inside? How come there are two colors? Indian Kurta is never all open in the front, only till the breast bone. Here is a Lucknow kurta, hand-embroidered all over. But it does not suit colder climes.

I'm not very good at anything fabric related, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to linings.

However, after researching on the internet, I think you're right. It's not a Kurta. It looks more like a Sherwani or an Achkan.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not very good at anything fabric related, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to linings.

However, after researching on the internet, I think you're right. It's not a Kurta. It looks more like a Sherwani or an Achkan.

Regardless, it looks nice. You'll fit in.
I can wear kurtas, but I just can't get the hang of pajamas and the string. So I go buy baggy western pants with a stretch waist if I can find them. here, the tradition is western style shirt, and veshti, so when in Rome... If I'm going to a North style temple, I'll wear kurta.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is what confused me some. In Kashmir, we have 'pheron' (pehran - clothes). That is a uni-sex long kurta made of woolen material. In Ladakh, Sikkim and Bhutan, men wear Gho and women Kira (woolen material). Sherwani/Achkan, I wore this (traditional) at the time of my marriage. The dress was later worn by five of my brothers during their marriages (brother, and sons of uncles, sort of family heirloom). Then it got torn with all the alterations that were necessary for them. But it was great while it lasted. :)

dadi.jpg
551000009317904.jpg
images

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My grandson broke his ankle while playing football. It was an intentional tackle. Sixty years ago, I broke someone's hand in the same way. I am sorry for that. :(

ps - the red cloth on the third image in the above post is fashion. Normally not used.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Narendra Modi, the rejected heir-apparent Rahul Gandhi, sis-in-waiting Priyanka Gandhi, Backward Classes messiah Mulayam Singh, Dalit messiah Mayawati (please note that the garland is made up of currency notes, Mayawati likes it that way), Sonia Maino Gandhi, Tamilnadu Supremo Jayalalitha.

images
images
images
images
mayawati-news-1.jpg
apr_2_wom.jpg
AIADMK%20Jayaa.JPG

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Flowers are for Gods, what are they doing playing woth the offerings like this ? They should stop being childish and offer their garland to the temple already.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Flowers are for Gods, what are they doing playing woth the offerings like this ? They should stop being childish and offer their garland to the temple already.

Jaya, the offering of garlands amongst Indians is a socio-cultural reality that isn't restricted only to temple-related situations.

... But these garlands in those photos in Aup's post are a joke. Too extravagant and utterly unnecessary.

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Jaya, the offering of garlands amongst Indians is a socio-cultural reality that isn't restricted only to temple-related situations.

... But these garlands in those photos in Aup's post are a joke. Too extravagant and utterly unnecessary.

I know bro, was just playing sarcastupid because I think exactly like you about those jokes of a garlands and totally unecessary here.
I understand the mark of welcome and respect, I just find it disturbing and laughtable when it borders deification

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I find it absolutely silly when politicians are given bouquets. They immediately hand it over to the security person and he perhaps hands it to another person who throws all flowers into a waste bin. What is achieved - nothing. I think just a 'namaskaram' would do equally well.