• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I find it absolutely silly when politicians are given bouquets. They immediately hand it over to the security person and he perhaps hands it to another person who throws all flowers into a waste bin. What is achieved - nothing. I think just a 'namaskaram' would do equally well.

They even do that here, when a local politician gets invited to a temple opening, or some such thing. I don't get how they're treated either. When I see all those insincere smiles, I cringe. Looking for patronage, or looking for votes. To refuse an invitation would be to lose votes.

Garlanding a holy man is another story. So is exchanging garlands at the wedding.

I've been garlanded as a guest to a home. It's kind of embarrassing, but at least protocol is to take it off right away.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Garlanding a holy man is another story. So is exchanging garlands at the wedding.
One garland on behalf of the congregation, and not like this (Priyanka Gandhi), that is sycophancy:

aupmanyav-albums-lumbini-picture5380-priyanka.png

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I know bro, was just playing sarcastupid because I think exactly like you about those jokes of a garlands and totally unecessary here.
I understand the mark of welcome and respect, I just find it disturbing and laughtable when it borders deification

icon14.gif
Agreed. The extravagance of it all is insane, to say the least.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Some politicians get a garland of money, with the paper money bills strung like flowers for a donation to their political campaign or party. I think they stole this idea from some Hindu weddings.

Here in the US, in Hawaii, folks get flower garlands when you arrive by airplane into the Island(s) as a greeting. I go to Hawaii and have had garlands offered to me. So because of this, politicians get huge garlands from their supporters when they arrive by plane (the briefcase full of money comes later, but not too far off later).

Such is the world. I am going to Hawaii end of July or early August with my daughter to give her a "special" holiday after she finishes Summer classes I signed her up for. We will get a big garland greeting upon arrival.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But Shivafan, that's just Hawaii tradition, not Hindu. The only place I know where you can get garlands in a flower shop ... in Lihue Walmart in fact.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Vinayaka

Yes of course it is Hawaiian tradition, LOL. No, not Hindu. I think it is also Hawaiian religious tradition in aspects, too.

The garland of money, this happens in India. Not only are they drapped over the necks of politicians, but Gurus and some religious leaders as well. And at some weddings, a method to give monetary gifts.

Here we see the politician who was Chief Minister of UP (2007*– 2012) and Member of Parliament, the one called Mayawati and also known as the "Queen of the Dalits" being drapped with a huge garland made entirely of pink 1000 rupee bank notes worth at least $1 million, according to most estimates.

No, not for the poor, but for the coffers of her political party the BSP.

mayawati_wide-2b92a91a4decc0de7785fcccb19b929a811ec375-s4-c85.jpg

Om Namah Sivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
...yeah, that's what it is. :D

Has no idea, it just looked really good. :run:

Lucky guess from the tomatoes and leaves, which I thought were coriander, which reminds me .., I should make some nice hot rasam tomorrow, cause I have a ton of coriander growing in the garden. So thanks. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perhaps I see a few urad dal grains floating. But the yellow stew is still a mystery. Paneer (Scotish/Indian Cheese)? My wife prepares sour yam preparation. It is a must on diwali and otherwise occasionally. Very tasty and my fav (basically with rice). But we fry it to a much darker tint.

Last edited:

Maya3

Rasam!!! Oh if you knew how obsessed I've been with Rasam soup lately.
Yesterday I went to three different restaurants before I found it...and then it wasn't that good, it was yellowish and had too much gee in it (I think it was gee).
On Friday we are going to New Jersey again, and then we will have to stop on our way to eat the best Rasam soup we've ever had. YUM.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maya, I put only the oil used to fry spices in my rasam. I've always found restaurant rasam of poor quality. or at least not what I like. So jump in your car and drive to Edmonton and I'll give you some.

Maya3

Maya, I put only the oil used to fry spices in my rasam. I've always found restaurant rasam of poor quality. or at least not what I like. So jump in your car and drive to Edmonton and I'll give you some.

I don't like driving, so I will force my husband to drive to Canada.
I would make him do that for Rasam Soup.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't like driving, so I will force my husband to drive to Canada.
I would make him do that for Rasam Soup.

Maya

4 very long days to here. :) I am the driver in my marriage too. I find long road trips quite bonding, whether it be with spouse or a child, especially if there is just two people. The few times I've driven distances with a child were really bonding. At one time, my son (a baseball nut) and I were planning a road trip from here to Montreal just to see baseball. We had figured 2 and a half days, maybe one overnight stop, but taking turns.

Maya3

4 very long days to here. :) I am the driver in my marriage too. I find long road trips quite bonding, whether it be with spouse or a child, especially if there is just two people. The few times I've driven distances with a child were really bonding. At one time, my son (a baseball nut) and I were planning a road trip from here to Montreal just to see baseball. We had figured 2 and a half days, maybe one overnight stop, but taking turns.

It may be four days, but it IS Rasam soup. :D

We feel the same way about driving far, it's a great bonding experience.

Maya