• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I haven't contributed much (or at all?) to this thread, but I was wondering if there was room on the Ashram grounds for an elephant. He might get into the garden though. :D

:camp:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I went to meditation at temple today, and the priest gave me some gifts!

- A copy of the Hanuman Chalisa with romanized transliteration and English translation.

- A couple volumes of Golden Thoughts and Good Humor.

- And a circular framed picture of Krishna and Radha.

Last edited:

Maya3

Those are beautiful StarryNightshade!

Fireside Hindu, YES definitely. But lets get two and rescue them from somewhere and give them a healthy and happy life with us.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm like Aup ... movie days are over. Life is a movie.
If you want to see even more colorful and even more hyper, then nothing like Tamil films. Bollywood learnt its lessons from them.
- And a circular framed picture of Krishna and Radha.
Have not seen that in India (basically my wife and daughter-in-law do the shopping and do not want to have me around when they are shopping), seems to be very nice.
He might get into the garden though. :D
That might be dangerous, but how do you stop an elephant? :D

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

For some reason, I never noticed this thread (well, I saw the title, but never opened it!), until tonight.

Actually, I don't understand what it is about, but I will do my best to add something. Firstly, to me an Ashram is different from a Temple. The Ashram is more about each other while a Temple is more about The Other. But ...

So, since it looks less formal and huggy feely groupie thing, I want to talk about my favorite flowers, and then follow this up by planting one of my favorites.

There is no "hierarchy" to my favorites, though the White Lotus might be at the top.

But let me tell you my "official ShivaFan list", in no particular order.

Well, there are Tulips. I love them. And poppies. Oh my, I love Poppies. My "official" (personal) flower may not be considered a flower at all, but a blossom - and that is the pink Peach Blossom. I love Morning Glories. Especially electric blue ones. I love pink and white Carnations, yes I do.

ok... now I will plant something in our Ashram... and the winner today is ...

THE CALIFORNIA GOLDEN POPPY!

goldenpoppy.png

However you do not get the golden gate bridge in the background, that is ours only us Kalifornians.

Kalifornia, get it? Kali!

I am bringin my friend also, but neither of us drink coffee. Only tea, and we prefer Ceylon tips with milk. Please welcome my good friend:

Bengal+Tiger+Wallpapers+10.jpg

She likes flowers, too. Lotus even. She is a great swimmer. But sometimes she gets crabby, it's her Bengali red hot blood!

Bengal_Tiger_in_Water_600.jpg

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A tigress and an elephant! For me, it is always the fragrant flowers, Jasmine, Indian Rose, Maulsri, Harsingar, Raat ki Rani (Queen of the night - Cestrum nocturnum), Daffodils.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, once you and the tiger are familiar with each other. In tiger sanctuaries in India, Sadhus and preists in temples are on familiar terms with the tigers, live together peacefully.

lwt_disc.jpg
tiger-sawai.jpg

Last edited:

Makaranda

Our cat Kali has just given birth to two lovely kittens :D

Edit- Make that three!

- And four!

Last edited:

Makaranda

She's had two ginger ones, a black one, and a very striking grey one. She seems very contented; purring loudly and very affectionate towards her little ones!

Maya3

She's had two ginger ones, a black one, and a very striking grey one. She seems very contented; purring loudly and very affectionate towards her little ones!

Are these your real cats at home? Or are they are virtual ashram cats?

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think cats are not as communicative as dogs. Are they dangerous to keep with small children around?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just a little story to tell ... my neighbours across the back fence are currently (it's a rental house) Mormon missionaries. There are 4 young men, one from Idaho, one from California, one from Ottawa, and one from Brazil, in various stages of their 2 year missionary stint. So we talk across the fence, and a couple of days back they came over to help me move some roses.

Boss and I decided to have them over for a meal, just cause it's the neighbourly thing to do, and because we love all our fellow humans. They're nice polite young men all either 19 or 20, and have to generally cook for themselves, so we figured we'd give them a break, and treat them.

It was a lot of fun. One guy is a football player, (full scholarship when he goes back home) I learned a lot about that. The Brazilian was really interesting. He really seemed to enjoy the mangoes we bought. For some it was their first foray into Indian food. We served papadam, mushroom curry, potato curry, carrot raita, dal, chickpea curry, hot zucchini curry, and rice, than had mangoes and ice cream for dessert. They stayed a couple of hours and we talked some about life as a Morman missionary, the rules and all that, and they asked a few basic questions about Hinduism. There was no proselytizing on either side, just humans getting together over food. For one chap, it was his first vegetarian meal ever. They said they had a good time, and I certainly did. A couple good clean jokes too.

This is how interfaith relations should go, I think.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Lot of things, a full five-course meal. Zuchhini brings out a memory. When I was studying in Udaipur, we bought five kilos for a rupee. Now it could cost 40 ruppes a kilo at times. My wife fries it too much and sort of reduces it to a paste. In the Udaipur hostel, we did it light and watery. :)