• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They are still warm and the chocolate chips are wet and melty, ..
You are welcome, chocolate is not my thing at this age. Somehow, I have developed a salt dependency as also for chillies. I know it can leach out phosphorous from my bones. Not good.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On a happy note, just now the rituals for my younger grandson's 'mundana' (Chudakarana Samskara) has been completed. He lost his waist-length hair for a small round tuft at the back of the head. Looks nice. Will send the images soon. He did not weep, thanks to the electric shaver with which the hair were removed (after the locks were cut with scissors), in contrast to his father and elder brother who howled all the time. Not even in the final trim with the razor. We were some 40 people from the family. The party is slated lunch on 18th.

With that I have attended all celebrations in the family. I do not know if I will be there till the 50th anniversary of my marriage (3 years from now) or my grand daughter's marriage in about 7 years time (she will do a 4-year dentistry course from July/August. I would be about 80 at that time in case I survive). The only other thing that remains to be done is sending off my mother when here time is over. Perhaps I would see my son becoming the head honcho of one or the other company. Desires never end but I am not attached to them. OK if that happens, OK even if it does not happen. I am thankful for what life has thrown my way.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
On a happy note, just now the rituals for my younger grandson's 'mundana' (Chudakarana Samskara) has been completed. He lost his waist-length hair for a small round tuft at the back of the head. Looks nice. Will send the images soon. He did not weep, thanks to the electric shaver with which the hair were removed (after the locks were cut with scissors), in contrast to his father and elder brother who howled all the time.

Congratulations to your grandson. :clapHow old is he?
There was no barber in your family or neighbourhood? Those guys are amazing.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There was no barber in your family or neighbourhood? Those guys are amazing.
A complete tonsure requires a professional (a barber in the family! No. White collar jobs are norm, Brahmins). Not the neighborhood barber this time. The person was from Javed Habib (might be a muslim), one of the foremost hair-sylists in Delhi. All due to my son and my brother-in-law, they are profligates. Thanks for your good wishes, Vinayaka and Maya.
Dont cry I will make jaiebi :)
Jalebi and Imarti (a more complex preparation). Make a thin 'maida' (cake flour) batter, add yeast, let it rise for the night. Then using a cloth with a hole drop it in boiling oil and fry (those fried in ghee - clarified butter are more costly but even better). Put it in hot medium consistency sugar syrup. You may add some flavour (Kewra - essence is distilled from pandanus flowers) or cardamom and saffron for color. Best dropped in boiled thickened milk and taken in morning or evening. Very nutritious. Has been years since I have had that. Not available in our mainly Punjabi neighborhood. Available every 100 yards in old Delhi.

315-355-large.jpg
114417.png
2307_so-delhi-old-famous-jalebiwala05-1357545709.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Last edited:

Maya3

A complete tonsure requires a professional (a barber in the family! No. White collar jobs are norm, Brahmins). Not the neighborhood barber this time. The person was from Javed Habib (might be a muslim), one of the foremost hair-sylists in Delhi. All due to my son and my brother-in-law, they are profligates. Thanks for your good wishes, Vinayaka and Maya.Jalebi and Imarti (a more complex preparation). Make a thin 'maida' (cake flour) batter, add yeast, let it rise for the night. Then using a cloth with a hole drop it in boiling oil and fry (those fried in ghee - clarified butter are more costly but even better). Put it in hot medium consistency sugar syrup. You may add some flavour (Kewra - essence is distilled from pandanus flowers) or cardamom and saffron for color. Best dropped in boiled thickened milk and taken in morning or evening. Very nutritious. Has been years since I have had that. Not available in our mainly Punjabi neighborhood. Available every 100 yards in old Delhi.

Wow, yummy! Thank you.

Maya

Asha

yes andJjallabi must be made with cardamom and real saffron :)

and Rasgulla with almonds and saffron

but you only get them after they have been offered
406958-rasagulla_240x240.jpg

Maya3

I am trying to figure why I have never gone into this thread before!

It does not matter, as long as you are here now and share all our yummies with us!

Thank you for the latest Asha, glad you are offering them first.

Maya

Kalidas

It does not matter, as long as you are here now and share all our yummies with us!

Thank you for the latest Asha, glad you are offering them first.

Maya

I was half tempted to try something new.

How does Eggplant Curry with Quinoa sound?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was half tempted to try something new.

How does Eggplant Curry with Quinoa sound?

Sounds awesome. Eggplant curry is one of my favorites for sure.

In South India, a common snack is chick peas fries with a few onions, some 'heat' with chillies, and mustard sees with cumin seeds. People bring that to our temple sometimes for a snack.

Maya3

That reminds me. Sometimes people bring food to my temple too.
Can anyone do this? Or could you bring anything to eat that will be offered afterwards?
My temple always have fruit, usually bananas and I don't want to be rude and bring something else if they already have fruit.
Do people usually call ahead and ask if they should bring prasad?

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That reminds me. Sometimes people bring food to my temple too.
Can anyone do this? Or could you bring anything to eat that will be offered afterwards?
My temple always have fruit, usually bananas and I don't want to be rude and bring something else if they already have fruit.
Do people usually call ahead and ask if they should bring prasad?

Maya

Here, people just know somehow. Friday nights, for example usually gets about 40 to 50 people, so various devotees might bring a bowl of it or a tray of kaysaree. They just humbly put it downstairs on the table where lunch is served on Sundays. Same thing for nights like Sivaratri, when you know there will be a substantial crowd, but the temple isn't serving a lunch or nobody is sponsoring it.

It's not for the deities though, as South Indian tradition is that the priest have to cook the food for the deities, That also is served in the same place.

Here's a kaysaree recipe http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yq9pf2gt/kaysaree-cream-of-wheat-squares.html ... I can't eat it any more because of gluten intolerance, but I used to make it for breakfast ... never a s sweet a this recipe though.

Kalidas

Sounds awesome. Eggplant curry is one of my favorites for sure.

In South India, a common snack is chick peas fries with a few onions, some 'heat' with chillies, and mustard sees with cumin seeds. People bring that to our temple sometimes for a snack.

Oh I will add spice... I ALWAYs add spice. Probably some Habaneros(I know mexican peppers, but they are good).