• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Maya3

Here, people just know somehow. Friday nights, for example usually gets about 40 to 50 people, so various devotees might bring a bowl of it or a tray of kaysaree. They just humbly put it downstairs on the table where lunch is served on Sundays. Same thing for nights like Sivaratri, when you know there will be a substantial crowd, but the temple isn't serving a lunch or nobody is sponsoring it.

It's not for the deities though, as South Indian tradition is that the priest have to cook the food for the deities, That also is served in the same place.

Here's a kaysaree recipe http://www.cooks.com/recipe/yq9pf2gt/kaysaree-cream-of-wheat-squares.html ... I can't eat it any more because of gluten intolerance, but I used to make it for breakfast ... never a s sweet a this recipe though.

Ours is very small, we don't have a lunch area or anything, but sometimes people bring food, the last couple of times I think it has been the same couple. They usually sing and play music at the temple too, so it is probably more organized.
I might go Sunday, if I do I'll ask.

Kalidas,
Habaneros!! My mouth is watering already.
My husband and I often with cook a mix of Thai and Mexican spices.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How does Eggplant Curry with Quinoa sound?
Khatte-baingan (tarted Egg plant curry with yoghurt or dried mango pieces or mango powder) and Methi Chaman (Fenugreek and Indian/Scottish Cheese) are typical Kashmiri must-have dishes for vegetarians while non-vegetarians are busy with Koftas and Roganjosh. Of course, Kashmiris will have rice.

Last edited:

Maya3

Actually, I meant that we often cook with Mexican and Indian spices, Thai too, but not as often.

The Mango dish sounds delicious!

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Mexican hot sauces are great if you have several people, all preferring different levels of hot in the curries. That way everybody is happy.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Over the years of experimentation, we've found buckwheat to be the easiest vegi burger base, because of it's sticky consistency. The vegi-burger just has so much potential in variety.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka, what I fail to understand is putting the burger in between thick slices of dry bread and then opening the mouth as big as a shark to gobble it. We would put it in the folds of a maida/wheat roti and then fry it lightly or heavily. What I mean is that the bread is too dry for Indian taste (or at least my taste). Never liked the McDonald style.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vinayaka, what I fail to understand is putting the burger in between thick slices of dry bread and then opening the mouth as big as a shark to gobble it. We would put it in the folds of a maida/wheat roti and then fry it lightly or heavily. What I mean is that the bread is too dry for Indian taste (or at least my taste). Never liked the McDonald style.

I eat vegi-burgers like patties, no bread at all.

But yes, I've seen people with large mouths.

Kalidas

I was one of those 'muricans. Used to go to In n Out all the time. Actually I STILL go to in n out. Get a grilled cheese(they sell them it's on the "hidden menu") with "animal style" fries.....

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'Animal style' fries? Tell me some more about them.

Maybe he's referring to what they're cooked in. MacDonalds lost a fairly large lawsuit a few years back. For vegetarians, you almost always have to ask, "Lard or vegetable oil? "

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Aupmanyav ji

Are you sure you want to know what western kids insist on eating ???

images

poor factory farmed chemicaly reared chicken cut into animal shaped peices and fried ...

yuck !

please note absence of vegetables on plate ....

mind you I have no idea what Mc donalds sells ....

except I dont think vegetables feature much there either !

Kalidas

"animal style" is covered in cheese, thousand island dressing, and grilled onions. In n Out only uses vegetable oil. ACTUALLY most companies these days only use vegetable oil

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Can anyone recommend me some Indian films?

I've tried Bollywood, but they're just too colorful and hyper. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Andal

resident hypnotist

I've tried Bollywood, but they're just too colorful and hyper. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

I admit it.... I'm a Shahrukh Khan fan-
To this day 2 of my favorite films are Veer Zarra and Kal Ho Na Ho.

For an Indian film without song and dance check out- Water. It's a drama that critiques the treatment of widows.

Another great film is Vanaprastham. This is a Malayalam film that revolves around a katha kali dancer. It raises questions about love and what happens when someone is in love with an illusion. It also wrestles with caste roles.

Happy viewing :popcorn:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

Watching ...

Indian cinema (and especially Indian TV shows)
would lower one's IQ, especially modern-day
Bollywood movies of Hindi cinema.

On the other hand, one can never go wrong w/
[South] Korean cinema. Also, Japanese cinema,
along with Korean cinema, are pretty much the
creme de la creme of Asian movies, acting-wise.

Once in awhile, however, Hindi cinema does
offer something lovely: 3 Idiots, Lagaan, and
Bombay (<--- this one has one of the best
soundtracks of all time). And yes, from the first
two that I have recommended, it's easy to tell
that I am an Aamir-fan.​

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Watching ...

Indian cinema (and especially Indian TV shows)
would lower one's IQ, especially modern-day
Bollywood movies of Hindi cinema.

On the other hand, one can never go wrong w/
[South] Korean cinema. Also, Japanese cinema,
along with Korean cinema, are pretty much the
creme de la creme of Asian movies, acting-wise.

Once in awhile, however, Hindi cinema does
offer something lovely: 3 Idiots, Lagaan, and
Bombay (<--- this one has one of the best
soundtracks of all time). And yes, from the first
two that I have recommended, it's easy to tell
that I am an Aamir-fan.​

Dude, did you see Psychometry ? It's my favorite koran movie. They really are masters ;___;