• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
A little while ago I came back from an "India Day" that was held at my school. They had a food stand with amazing food (rice, naan, chickpea curry, pakora, etc.); booths with artifacts, local businesses, and a group called the Brahma Kumaris (whom I had an initial interest in, but I don't think I'm quite cut out for them. :cover:); and, to top it all off, an hour of dances done in various styles from across India (various folk dances from different states, Bhangra, Bollywood, etc.).

I had a really great time! I just wish my town had more cultural events like this.

By the way, before the hour of dancing, a man sang this song while kids came out on stage dressed as various Indian freedom fighters (Ghandi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Rani Lakshmibai, Subhash Chandra Bose, among others). Whenever a certain historical figure appeared on screen, and when the child walked out on stage, the audience would erupt in cheers. Say what you will about the politics or actions of the aforementioned (or of any freedom fighter), but the amount of love and patriotism that the audience had for India was awe-inspiring.

[youtube]Edc5nEhLCb8[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edc5nEhLCb8

Maya3

Very nice!
It sounds wonderful.

What are the Brahma Kumaris, I've heard of them bunt don't know much.

Maya

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Wow, sounds like a wondedful India Day, StarryNightshade. I would have enjoyed it a lot if I were there.

I like the white garb of the Brahma Kumaris, long, long time back I stopped by one of their HQ's on Baker St. in San Francisco, because I am an avid "temple hopper", though this was not really a traditional Hindu Temple. I suppose I will let their members explain their movement to you if there are any on this forum. I found due to some of their history and practice, while I am not saying they are not positive for millions, I wasn't a fan of them though I do not want to say that they are bad. They are good, but not my kind of good.

Go visit them, and enjoy if you like.

Om Namah Sivaya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Brahma Kumaris consider their founder as Shiva, and his successor as Brahma. The men and women (even if they are husband and wife) are supposed to live as brothers and sisters. Lead vocals are women. A cult.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, with Krishna Janmashtami approaching, I think it's fitting to start bringing supplies of flowers and fruit for Shree Krishna.
We prepare what is known as 'panjiri' (other name - Harira, five nuts - almond, melon seeds, lotus seeds, poppy seeds, chironji, with edible gum, gond katira, raisins, and grated coconut), thick in ghee and sugar. Adding saffron will give it a yellow color. This is what is given to a new mother for energy. Meant for Mother Yashoda, but we too partake it as 'prasad'. Very heavy on stomach - which means supposed to be very nutritive, new mothers are expected to eat lots of it even if they do not like it. Can be made wet or dry, we like the wet one more. Please note - no wheat flour is used as wrongly mentioned in Wikipedia. Make it on the next Janmashtami. http://cooks.ndtv.com/recipe/show/panjiri-253163

image_1.jpg

p.s. - Before the child birth, it was milk with a spoon or two of ghee, turmeric, and edible gum. My mother had to drink it. Thanks for that to her.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram

in reply to the first video ....

for those interested below is a full tranlation of the original 'Vande Mataram' ,
the versions we now know are very different , a little background information might be usefull ...

Mother, I salute thee!
Rich with thy hurrying streams,
bright with orchard gleams,
Cool with thy winds of delight,
Green fields waving Mother of might,
Mother free.

Glory of moonlight dreams,
Over thy branches and lordly streams,
Clad in thy blossoming trees,
Mother, giver of ease
Laughing low and sweet!
Mother I kiss thy feet,
Speaker sweet and low!
Mother, to thee I bow.

Who hath said thou art weak in thy lands
When swords flash out in seventy million hands
And seventy million voices roar
Thy dreadful name from shore to shore?
With many strengths who art mighty and stored,
To thee I call Mother and Lord!
Thou who saves, arise and save!
To her I cry who ever her foe drove
Back from plain and sea
And shook herself free.

Thou art wisdom, thou art law,
Thou art heart, our soul, our breath
Though art love divine, the awe
In our hearts that conquers death.
Thine the strength that nerves the arm,
Thine the beauty, thine the charm.
Every image made divine
In our temples is but thine.

Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen,
With her hands that strike and her
swords of sheen,
Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned,
And the Muse a hundred-tone,
Pure and perfect without peer,
Mother lend thine ear,
Rich with thy hurrying streams,
Bright with thy orchard gleems,
Dark of hue O candid-fair

In thy soul, with jewelled hair
And thy glorious smile divine,
Loveliest of all earthly lands,
Showering wealth from well-stored hands!
Mother, mother mine!
Mother sweet, I bow to thee,
Mother great and free!

translated by Sri Aurobindo

English Translation by Ramesh Krishnakumar.

"Vande Mataram" was the national cry for freedom from British rule during the freedom movement. Large rallies, fermenting initially in Bengal, in the major metropolis of Calcutta, would work themselves up into a patriotic fervour by shouting the slogan "Vande Mataram

Though only the first two stanzas are are now considered to represent the National Song. However, the entire song is presented here.

Goddess Durga, is Shakthi, the energy in the universe. The interpretation of this song can be taken as an eulogy to the Mother India and the national energy

National Energy is described as wisdom, purpose, vital energy.pleasing, abundant, serene, and affectionate, this evocative song merits to be fully understood. It should not be seen through narrow blinkers of religious factionalism.

The song is considered to be powerful and beneficial to those who recite or listen. It bestows the power of integration and brotherhood. of gratitude to a land, its caring mothers and genial people.
I have to highlight one section which is of vital importance ....''It should not be seen through narrow blinkers of religious factionalism.''

[youtube]ZpjHd1R5JXo[/youtube]

and this version because I love the pictures ....

A.H. Rahman's modern anthem ....

[youtube]jDn2bn7_YSM[/youtube]

yet seeing vande mataram as a patriotic anthem has caused so much ill feeling due to it being seen as anti musilm etc, ...that this subject needs looking at much motre closely ...
as in truth it is a beautifull gift of thanks to our mother , the mother of all .

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
What are the Brahma Kumaris, I've heard of them bunt don't know much.

Maya

From what I've found out, they are a relatively new group (they were formed in 1930) and, while they are based in Hinduism, they don't consider themselves Hindu. They use Raja Yoga as the means to connect with God (they are strictly monotheistic) and are known (as far as I know) for their charity work.

That being said, they are not without their controversies. For one, their leaders (called "brothers" and "sister") are put on an almost divine-like level; in addition to a strict Lacto-vegetarian diet, allegedly they can only have food prepared by other BKs; and they demand absolute celibacy, from both single and married persons.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Vinayaka, I personally do not like cults and splinter groups. If they do not accept themselves to be Hindus, then they are as far from us as Christianity or Islam. How does it matter what kind of work they are doing? That is why my favorite line is 'Guru ko maro goli' (shoot the guru). These gurus are harming Hinduism. They were all supported by the Sonia Gandhi's Congress to weaken Hinduism.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, Vinayaka, I personally do not like cults and splinter groups. If they do not accept themselves to be Hindus, then they are as far from us as Christianity or Islam. How does it matter what kind of work they are doing? That is why my favorite line is 'Guru ko maro goli' (shoot the guru). These gurus are harming Hinduism. They were all supported by the Sonia Gandhi's Congress to weaken Hinduism.

Everyone is entitled to his/her POV. I just don't see any value in bashing groups within Hinduism, atheists, other faiths etc. What does it actually accomplish? If you think your few words on an internet forum are actually going to stop someone from joining or looking into any group whatsoever, then I think you're tad naive. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, I did my duty to forewarn, if somebody will understand.
"Karmanyevādhikāraste, mā phaleshu kadāchana .."

Chakra

Premium Member
Criticizing is an important thing. If we don't do that, some practices or beliefs may be taken as fact.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I did my duty to forewarn, if somebody will understand.
"Karmanyevādhikāraste, mā phaleshu kadāchana .."

Yes there are still suckers born every minute, but I think they are few and far between. With the internet, news, etc., I would like to think most people have the ability to decide if something suits them or not. This group does not suit me, but I assume it does suit somebody, else they wouldn't be a group at all, would they?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would like to think most people have the ability to decide if something suits them or not. This group does not suit me, but I assume it does suit somebody, else they wouldn't be a group at all, would they?
Well, David Koresh or Shoko Asahara also had their groups, or the Anandamarg in India. Some groups are harmful. Being a group does not mean it will go beyond scrutiny (IS being an example).

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Remember that by becoming a BK you enter a race to become numberwise in the Golden Age. The numberwise race has 2 rules:

1) You need to remove your sins and this is done by remembering Baba, so the advice is to remember Baba at least 8 hrs per day.
2) You need to accumulate good karma and this is done by performing Godly Service.
In these endeavours, the more resources you apply the better your outcome e.g. time, wealth, energy. Therefore to win or do well in this race there is no time for relationships, family or any of the other pleasures associated with normal life, hence the question can be expanded to, “Why Anything Pleasurable at All”?

This construction of "numberwise race" is an utterly brilliant way of getting BKs to control themselves via subtle mechanisms of desire and shame.

Note that the BKs will maintain, and I guess for some it true, that the pleasure of remembering Baba and performing service is fulfilment. These would be the equivalent of monks, nuns, etc."
Why Celibacy ..?? - Brahma Kumaris Info - the Truth about BK Meditation

I wonder why the leaders of these celebate groups have to have a 'maa', and that too a young woman?

Dada Lekhraj (Brahma) and Mateshwari Om Radhe (Saraswati)

redeyes-kirpalani.jpg
5_800pxSaraswati_as_young_girl_front_1.jpg

Great photo-shop effort. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"In the Golden Age children are born without sex, as a result of Yoga. Menstruation is a result of overuse of sex. When a girl has her period for the first time she is terrified, she says that she is ill. That is a proof that it is not natural.

Humankind has too much sex. It doesn't matter if you do it as a couple or during an orgy. This is an abuse ... violation against your own body and it causes numerous diseases like, for instance, breast cancer or prostate cancer.

Another woman ... recounted to me how through them she found proof that sexual intercourse is an act of evil and should not be considered a conjugal duty"
On Celibate Marriages: Conversion to the Brahma Kumaris - Brahma Kumaris Info - the Truth about BK Meditation
Moderators: You may like to put some posts in another forum.

Maya3

They may do good works.
But if it comes with a price like this, then we have to be able to criticize.
Saying that menstruation is bad and that we will reproduce without sex?!

That you can only eat food from other BK's and that you have to be celibate even if you are married?
Sorry but that is ridiculous!

Maya