• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Maya ji

That you can only eat food from other BK's and that you have to be celibate even if you are married?
Sorry but that is ridiculous!

Maya

I am not Brahma Kumari ,

but I too do not generaly like to take un offered food or food from a non devotee kitchen .

and there is nothing wrong with celibacy within marraige that I can assure you !

Maya3

namaskaram Maya ji

I am not Brahma Kumari ,

but I too do not generaly like to take un offered food or food from a non devotee kitchen .

and there is nothing wrong with celibacy within marraige that I can assure you !

Not if the couple decides to do this on their own. But if a religious organization tells you that you have to there is.
I don't think any group should tell someone else what they should or should not do in private.
I don't think it is appropriate. Spiritual practice should be something people genuinely wants to do from within, if there are too many strict rules from the outside it will be a must, and then it won't last for most people.

Maya

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sorry but that is ridiculous!
That is not all. They have apocalypse (term recently changed to 'transformation') also. At one time they said it will be in 1950, but that did not happen. In this 'transformation', only 900,000 BKs will survive and the rest of the mankind will be wiped out. Then they will begin the 'golden age'. I find this quite disturbing and bordering on lunacy. Koresh and Asahara people also had similar beliefs.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A little while ago I came back from an "India Day" that was held at my school.
My younger grandson (2+1/2) dressed as Subhas Chandra Bose in his kindergarten (joined it just a month ago) and Subhas Chandra Bose. "Jai Hind".

1327086974_azad%20hind.jpg

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram maya ji

Not if the couple decides to do this on their own. But if a religious organization tells you that you have to there is.
I don't think any group should tell someone else what they should or should not do in private.
I don't think it is appropriate. Spiritual practice should be something people genuinely wants to do from within, if there are too many strict rules from the outside it will be a must, and then it won't last for most people.

Maya
the most interesting thing about the Brahma Kumaris is that they have taken many practices common to many Hindu traditions and have applied these with a little subtle manipulation , ...what I am pointing out is that it is not the principles which are at fault but the manipulation of those principles .

agreed no group should tell any one what to do , however they may and should guide their deciples in ways that lead towards spiritual advancement .

what it appears the BK's have a tendancy to do (much like other cults)... is to play on peoples fear , the biggest concern is asking or telling people that they MUST donate money and that they MUST cut off fammily members who put up any objections .....

Celibacy in itself is like fasting it is simply an austerity , but it also has the advantages of bringing forth only children who are wanted and who the family are able to support and care for , there fore there are many traditions that recomend celibacy .

sex can also be a distraction which takes one away from ones spiritual practice and if taken to excess an indullgence which leads to selfish and obsessive behavior ...

sure sure you can do what you like in your private life , and you are free to move towards spiritual practice at your own speed this is the way it is in the west . but for many Indians there is allways some pressure of tradition which says you should or should not ... , even can or can not ...! the BK's have played upon this more submissive culture .

but what they do is the same as many cult like organisations and that is to play opon personal fear and attatchment , where as in truth any genuine Guru is there to help his deciples to cut their attatchment .

they do also encorage many social and charitable programs , whish is wonderfull , but it very much depends what the motivation is behind such actions .

I do very much agree with Aupmanyav and Axlyz , in that objective criticism is very much needed on this occasion .

Maya3

namaskaram maya ji

the most interesting thing about the Brahma Kumaris is that they have taken many practices common to many Hindu traditions and have applied these with a little subtle manipulation , ...what I am pointing out is that it is not the principles which are at fault but the manipulation of those principles .

agreed no group should tell any one what to do , however they may and should guide their deciples in ways that lead towards spiritual advancement .

what it appears the BK's have a tendancy to do (much like other cults)... is to play on peoples fear , the biggest concern is asking or telling people that they MUST donate money and that they MUST cut off fammily members who put up any objections .....

Celibacy in itself is like fasting it is simply an austerity , but it also has the advantages of bringing forth only children who are wanted and who the family are able to support and care for , there fore there are many traditions that recomend celibacy .

sex can also be a distraction which takes one away from ones spiritual practice and if taken to excess an indullgence which leads to selfish and obsessive behavior ...

sure sure you can do what you like in your private life , and you are free to move towards spiritual practice at your own speed this is the way it is in the west . but for many Indians there is allways some pressure of tradition which says you should or should not ... , even can or can not ...! the BK's have played upon this more submissive culture .

but what they do is the same as many cult like organisations and that is to play opon personal fear and attatchment , where as in truth any genuine Guru is there to help his deciples to cut their attatchment .

they do also encorage many social and charitable programs , whish is wonderfull , but it very much depends what the motivation is behind such actions .

I do very much agree with Aupmanyav and Axlyz , in that objective criticism is very much needed on this occasion .

I completely agree. Well said!

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Criticizing is an important thing. If we don't do that, some practices or beliefs may be taken as fact.

I see a difference between observing and bashing. Observation like, 'Well, they're not Hindu' is one thing, but to 'bash' is another. There's an emotional, and therefore karmic distinction. Here on the internet it's hard to tell some days what an individual's emotion behind the words is.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram ...

I realy like this bhajan :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2cPoyp5SLtkqViP7MuZbinAfz5EgWP8e&v=_pRWhuhVhDE&feature=player_detailpage#t=30[/youtube]

Chakra

Premium Member
namaskaram ...

I realy like this bhajan :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2cPoyp5SLtkqViP7MuZbinAfz5EgWP8e&v=_pRWhuhVhDE&feature=player_detailpage#t=30[/youtube]

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Where is everyone? Been a while since someone has posted anything.

20090917103038_diwali-pooja.jpg
Yes, potters have a roaring business during Diwali. The earthern lamps and statues of Gods and Goddesses (Laxmi Ganesha being a must). Each year to buy a new one is the tradition, and it is a problem to dispose them. These small idols are worshiped mostly for just one evening. But one more thing is in high demand - Sugar toys, exactly the kind you see in SNS' photo, but smaller. They are offered to the Goddess Laxmi with rice puffs (Moori, Phulian). A tasty combination.

Sugar toy, Batasa (sugar with air cavities, very light). Bastasa also taste very good with coconut shavings.
asr1.jpg
batasa.jpg

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm looking for a quote/verse from an Agama (or another scripture) regarding Vishnu and Shiva. Basically, it's saying that one cannot worship Vishnu without Shiva and vice versa. Or, at the very least, one cannot worship Vishnu while hating Shiva and vice versa.

And, in return, I will give you Galub Jamun! :yes:

images

Asha

Dear StarryNightshade

if you read the Mahabarata you will find many references to the worship of Shiva, in 'Varna Parva' there is an acount of Arjuna taking advice from Indra who tells arjuna to go to pay his obesances to Shiva. Whilst in the forest performing austerities and searching for Shiva, Shiva in disguise comes to test Arjunas courage and bravery, Arjuna not recognising Shiva in the disguise of a forester, fights Shiva over the right to fight and kill a wild raging boar (who was actualy a deamon in disguise and who on shivas instruction had attacked Arjuna, who as a kshatriya must follow his dharma and kill the boar) this way Shiva tested Arjunas sence of duty and his bravery. After the fight Arjuna realises the foresters true identity and falls at Shivas feet,
being pleased with Arjunas behavior Shiva rewarded Arjuna by giving him the divine weapon, the pashupatastra which Arjuna later uses in the great battle at Kurukshetra.

So as you see there is a divine order that is respected and that each god has his duty or position of importance and that even though Arjuna is a close freind and associate of Krishna and that the Mahabarata and the Bhagavad Gita are important scriptures to the Vaisnava comunity, both Indra and Shiva have their respective and respectworthy roles to play and for which they are highly revered.

so what ever misconceptions some may have there is no question of true devotees of Vishnu hating Shiva or I would hope vice versa?

May I ask what made you ask this question?

and do I qualify for Galabjamuns :)

Jai Shree Krishna

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
May I ask what made you ask this question?

So many in the Vaishnava community completely dismiss Shiva (as well as other Devas like Ganesha, Devi, Indra, etc.) or label them as Demi/Semi-Gods. That, despite having different roles from Vishnu, that they are not as important or relevant as Narayana.

As time goes by, I find myself becoming more interested in Vaishnavism, but I don't like the strict exclusiveness that many Vaishnavas have.

Chakra

Premium Member
So many in the Vaishnava community completely dismiss Shiva (as well as other Devas like Ganesha, Devi, Indra, etc.) or label them as Demi/Semi-Gods. That, despite having different roles from Vishnu, that they are not as important or relevant as Narayana.

As time goes by, I find myself becoming more interested in Vaishnavism, but I don't like the strict exclusiveness that many Vaishnavas have.

Just a quick question, Starry-ji, but have you actually considered or looked at the reasons why Vaishnavas do what they do, or have you just completely dismissed it as being wrong? I just want to know your views. Hopefully I'm not acting really forcing or anything.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Just a quick question, Starry-ji, but have you actually considered or looked at the reasons why Vaishnavas do what they do, or have you just completely dismissed it as being wrong? I just want to know your views. Hopefully I'm not acting really forcing or anything.

Like I had mentioned in my previous post, I'm becoming more attracted to Vaishnavism as time goes on; specifically Sri Vaishnavism. To be blunt, as far as my personal views and practices are concerned, it is wrong (again, to me) to call anyone from the main pantheon, other than MahaVishnu or his avatars, to be "Demi-Gods". They may not be "supreme", but that doesn't make their roles or positions any lesser or of less importance than Vishnu. In speaking with many Sri Vaishnavas, Shiva is not beneath Vishnu, but is an extension of him; Shiva is of his very essence. Yet, at the same time, he is also different from Vishnu (this proably comes into play considering Sri Vaishnavism's ontology is Vishishtadvaita).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My bhakti to Lord Rama is second to none. But then, remove Shiva and Shakti and you have just 1/3 of Hinduism (not the numbers but the richness). It impoverishes Hinduism.

Chakra

Premium Member
Like I had mentioned in my previous post, I'm becoming more attracted to Vaishnavism as time goes on; specifically Sri Vaishnavism. To be blunt, as far as my personal views and practices are concerned, it is wrong (again, to me) to call anyone from the main pantheon, other than MahaVishnu or his avatars, to be "Demi-Gods". They may not be "supreme", but that doesn't make their roles or positions any lesser or of less importance than Vishnu. In speaking with many Sri Vaishnavas, Shiva is not beneath Vishnu, but is an extension of him; Shiva is of his very essence. Yet, at the same time, he is also different from Vishnu (this proably comes into play considering Sri Vaishnavism's ontology is Vishishtadvaita).

I understand. It is still important to know that Shiva's position in Sri Vaishnavism as "an extension of Vishnu" is not unique. Both me and you are parts of Vishnu, as is every single atma there is. If you want to know more about the position of Shiva in Sri Vaishnavism, you should read Sri Ramanuja's various books. Shiva is definitely not shown to be equal to Narayana.

Last edited: