• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overturning Roe V Wade

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is just a religious belief. I give it more credence because it is MY religious belief.
Aborted fetuses do go directly to heaven, according to my beliefs, but that does not mean that they would have gone to hell if they were not aborted. I do not even believe in hell as a place we go to, I believe it is distance from God and heaven is nearness to God. The aborted fetus had an equal chance at heaven if it had lived.
Fine, it is your religious belief. But if you cannot support it in any other way then do not expect others to value it at all. In other words it is an argument that can be refuted with a "So what?"

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
LOL! No, it is not. How is that moving the goalposts? Once again, it is not a magic phrase.

I am not saying that you cannot reason rationally, but people that cannot reason rationally almost never use logical fallacies correctly.
I know that was not moving the goal posts, but I sometimes make mistakes when I have posts coming at me left and right. :eek:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This decision effectively discriminates against the poor. A middle class woman that lives in Texas and needs an abortion could easily fly to Washington or California and back. A poor woman will not be able to afford to do so and could be forced into finding a back alley abortionist. Not nearly as safe for her. Deaths will go up due to this law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Again why does this matter? Just because some do not make it does not mean the ones that will should be terminated.
You asked if it would make it if left alone. Chances are no, it will not, because left alone most pregnancies naturally terminate.
The problem with this is that another life different than the mothers is involved that cannot speak for itself.
It was a growth of cells. It couldn't speak. It had absolutely nothing outside of the mother's womb. My friend already had a family amd many friends and a life. There is no problem or issue in terminating the pregnancy to save her life. There was no loss from it, but a great loss averted.

Clizby Wampuscat

You asked if it would make it if left alone. Chances are no, it will not, because left alone most pregnancies naturally terminate.
But obviously a lot do make it to personhood. I asked because you brought it up as some sort of argument for abortion.

It was a growth of cells. It couldn't speak. It had absolutely nothing outside of the mother's womb. My friend already had a family amd many friends and a life. There is no problem or issue in terminating the pregnancy to save her life. There was no loss from it, but a great loss averted.
I will say this a second time. I have no problem with an abortion to save a mothers life if that is the decision that is made by the mother.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This decision effectively discriminates against the poor. A middle class woman that lives in Texas and needs an abortion could easily fly to Washington or California and back. A poor woman will not be able to afford to do so and could be forced into finding a back alley abortionist. Not nearly as safe for her. Deaths will go up due to this law.
This is not good.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But obviously a lot do make it to personhood. I asked because you brought it up as some sort of argument for abortion.

I will say this a second time. I have no problem with an abortion to save a mothers life if that is the decision that is made by the mother.
And what is wrong with an abortion due to hardship?

Clizby Wampuscat

And what is wrong with an abortion due to hardship?
It affects another human life. If they do not have the abortion there is a chance it will turn into a person. I don't think a hardship should trump a persons right to life.

The answers to these questions makes sense only on how you view the unborn. We can have the same basis for morality but come to different moral conclusions based on this view. If you view it as a human life then one stance makes sense and if you view it as not a human life a different conclusion makes sense on the morality of abortion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why, why, why can we not ask this simple question: "why should a 12 year old girl who has been raped, why should this child be forced to become a mother? Why?"

Because that is one certain effect of the Mississippi law that SCOTUS plans to uphold by striking down Roe.

How cruel do you think we should really be to such a victim -- to victimize her further? Should we beat her daily, just to make sure she knows how horrible she truly is by allowing herself to be overcome by someone 4 times her size and strength?

I hate some people. There, I said it.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

It affects another human life. If they do not have the abortion there is a chance it will turn into a person. I don't think a hardship should trump a persons right to life.

So where do you factor in colossal negative economic changes that might suddenly impinge on a would-be mother's life. Let's say, that the child would have been born into a decent situation, but now suddenly, that looks like it's completely off the table, for any number of reasons. She can still have it, but it's clearly now more of a bet. Now religious people, have metaphysical reasons why they say someone in such a situation ought always to be born. But with you being atheist, I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from - regarding specifically the argument I just made.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why, why, why can we not ask this simple question: "why should a 12 year old girl who has been raped, why should this child be forced to become a mother? Why?"

Because that is one certain effect of the Mississippi law that SCOTUS plans to uphold by striking down Roe.
I consider that patently absurd as well as completely unjust.
What is wrong with this country anyway?